PDA

View Full Version : cello stand

Dan Valleskey
02-09-2012, 12:36 AM
I could eventually figure out a way to keep my boy's cello up off the floor. But it occurred to me there may be plans to accomplish that.

He plays a full size cello. I consider myself an advanced intermediate wood butcher, there are limits to my skills.

I was thinking of curly maple and walnut in some combination to match the music stand I made for him.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Jim Creech
02-09-2012, 1:51 PM
There are stands for playing and stands for storage. Google "Cello Stands" and you will see some nicely made wooden stands for ideas.

Dan Valleskey
02-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Ya, I did that a while back. Did it again just now. I guess I should just jump in and go. He is much more interested in something spydery, rather than the simple box things. Something like this-

Jim Creech
02-13-2012, 7:57 AM
I would go with the one on the left. The tall stand on the right looks kind of flimsy.

Dan Valleskey
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Jim, I think the height has to do with what instrument you are racking. The thing at the top has to cradle the neck. The one on the left may be for a viola or 3/4 cello. The differences in the base, you may have something there.

I'll probably start on it later this week, a plywood mockup might be in order for this one.

Jim Creech
02-14-2012, 7:07 AM
I was looking at the joint between the base and the upright. Doesn't look like there is much there. The left one appears to be more structurally sound. Whatever you decide to do, make it sturdy. I repair a lot of broken off peg boxes and broken necks at the heel due to instruments falling over. It ain't always easy.

Roderick Gentry
03-08-2012, 2:28 AM
The planter box style look more compact and safer for the instruments. Though I don't know, that was just an impression. They seem popular at the strings shops in town. Never seen one for a guitar, should probably make one.