PDA

View Full Version : Suspended vessel

John Spitters
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I did this piece after seeing a demo by Alan Carter this past Saturday when he was at the Greater Vancouver woodturners guild
Just a scrap piece of maple that was spalted that I threw on the lathe. Actually the wood had gone quite soft already and I found that I was unable to power sand it while on the lathe because of the differnt densities in the wood so I needed to resort to hand sanding the form.
Supports are made of scrap Jatoba flooring. Finish is Laquer
2 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 10 1/2" Comments and critiques most welcome.

John

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Well done. I really like the shape, color and finish. The finial is also very attractive.

Bill Wyko
02-09-2012, 12:24 AM
A real beauty. I like the overal piece. Everything works very well together.

Cheryl A. Prince
02-09-2012, 5:33 AM
Very nice piece John. I really like your finial in particular. Thin and well proportioned.

John Keeton
02-09-2012, 5:58 AM
John, excellent work on the form and finial! I have always liked this concept, and you have done a nice job with it. For my tastes, I would prefer no straight lines, less space between the form and the legs, and more mass in the legs. If the legs flowed more with the lines of the form, and were a bit heavier, I wonder if it would produce a more homogenous piece.

Doug W Swanson
02-09-2012, 9:23 AM
I really like this piece. I'd love to have something like this on my shelf.

David E Keller
02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Neat piece! I'm looking at the photos on my phone, so the resolution is poor... It seems as though there is a small flat on the bottom of the form which I would consider eliminating since it's a suspended piece, but I love the composition as a whole. These suspended pieces allow for so much creativity with the 'stand' that I've got them on the to-do list... Thanks for the inspiration!

Harvey Ghesser
02-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Nice work, John. The vessel is spot on and I also love the finial. Like John, I would have prefered no straight lines as they seem to distract the eye away from the vessel.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Really nice piece John. I have had those on my to-do list for some time now.

John Spitters
02-09-2012, 11:58 AM
As an example, this is the piece of Alan's that I based this design on. This has been my first ever demo that I have taken in and I think what can be said for sitting in on these demo's is that you will always learn something new. Obviously Alan's design choices must be good for he has become very successfull at what he does. Each one of us though sees the world a bit different and that's what makes this hobby interesting and why we are constantly trying new ideas with our turnings. I think what I learned from Alan is in part what "hopefully will look good " in your design choices to the vast majority.
This form I posted was just me trying out his methods of how he builds these pieces, there's a fair bit of preplanning involved in order to get that vessel to hang just right and I can thank Alan for having shown this.

John