PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Hollowforms

John Spitters
02-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I had earlier posted this form and another that I was working on to hopefully get some critiques as to finial etc. Well here they are finished, the green one stands apx. 19" h and 3 7/8"w.
the blue form stands 17 1/2" h x 3 5/8" w. Both are of figured maple and the finish is several coats of wipe on poly and lacquer for the black and white.
Comments and critiques welcome.

John

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Both show excellent craftsmanship, John. Kinda remind me of the old lava lamps; groovy man!

I really like the black and green - personal taste. Someone else will come along and love the white ... Watch.

Great work.

Bill Wyko
02-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Can't go wrong either way but if I were forced to choose I'd have to go with the black & green.....or maybe the white & blue. Both are absolutely beautiful.

John Keeton
02-09-2012, 6:58 AM
Excellent result, John, though the blue/white piece would photograph better against a darker background.

Dennis Ford
02-09-2012, 7:16 AM
They are both great. From these photos, I like the green/black better. If they were against a dark background like John mentioned; I would probably like the blue/white over the green/black.

Doug W Swanson
02-09-2012, 9:21 AM
They are both beautiful!

Bill Embrey
02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Outstanding work John... when my wife saw the picture, she said the same thing Jeff did, "Hey, those look like lava lamps, only prettier".. :)

Jon McElwain
02-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Excellent result, John, though the blue/white piece would photograph better against a darker background.

What John said. Those are really cool - colors, form, and simple lines all make them very attractive. My only critique would be that the finial seems to be lacking something. It almost looks as if the finial sort of diminishes into nothing rather than being a definitive 'finial.' A finial should (IMHO) finish, be final, and complete the piece. It falls just short of doing that. Some embellishment near the top would (again IMHO) complete the pieces and give them a definitive focal stopping point. I do not want to diminish the skill required to create what you have done - a thin finial like that takes practice and talent.

Again, well done, those are really good looking forms!

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Both are beautiful pieces but do like the green/black better.

Harry Robinette
02-09-2012, 6:11 PM
Very nice I like them both.

Steve Vaughan
02-09-2012, 6:18 PM
You guys that makes these sorts of things are just super duper talented. These sure have a coolness factor going on, they just look so clean and delicate. Love the colors and the grain. My fav would be the black and green. I'm thinking the white just doesn't fit on these. Looking at these - and maybe some folks have done this and I just didn't notice - wonder how it would look with the HF part turned upside down, i.e., the fat part at the bottom. Very, very nice.

Steve Campbell
02-09-2012, 7:22 PM
John I like them both. Well done indeed.

Steve

Jamie Donaldson
02-09-2012, 9:02 PM
John, since I discussed the background on WOW, I attempted to color correct and adjust the background for more contrast, but the original file was too small for much tweeking in Photoshop. The white base/finial are not the custom, but I like them.

Kathy Marshall
02-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Both are very nice! Love the dye jobs, forms look greats and Jamie's tweek on the color shows the blue and white form to better advantage.

John Spitters
02-10-2012, 1:21 AM
John, since I discussed the background on WOW, I attempted to color correct and adjust the background for more contrast, but the original file was too small for much tweeking in Photoshop. The white base/finial are not the custom, but I like them.

Thanks Jamie
I know that the background for the white form was not the best, but till I get a proper backdrop this will have to do.
But yes in all reality the form with the white pedestal and finial looks pretty good , I only wish that I would have gone darker with the blue dye. but hey! I'm still learning.

Harvey Ghesser
02-10-2012, 9:17 AM
I love them both, John. Excellent work and wonderful creativity.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2012, 9:28 AM
Great job on both John! I don't care for them as a a complementary pair as much as I thought I would. The pictures probably don't do them true justice though.