PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl Hollowform

Curt Fuller
02-08-2012, 11:35 PM
This is from a piece of Box Elder root that had some burl on it. It's 9.25" x 6.25", finished with Antique Oil. I haven't buffed it and I think I'll just hit it with a scotchbrite pad and some briwax for a flat finish. It has some peninsular pieces protruding into the big void that I lost over the course of hollowing it. I really wish some of them would have hung on. It's sitting on a slice of Box Elder burl because it only has a partial base and wouldn't stand up on the soft background material in my photo tent. When I got down to the bottom I hit another void that extended into the last of the wood it was going sit on as a foot. So it only has about 2/3 of a foot. Not sure what to do with that yet.

Alan Trout
02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Very nice piece on a very challenging piece of wood.

Well Done.

Alan

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Very nice piece on a very challenging piece of wood.

Well Done.

Alan

Ditto! That looks like it was quite the challenge to turn - awesome piece!

Marty Eargle
02-08-2012, 11:45 PM
A braver man than me, that's for sure! Shame it didn't turn exactly how you wanted it to, but I think it is a great looking piece...and the base is a very good fit as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Don Alexander
02-09-2012, 3:23 AM
howbout permanently attaching the piece you have it sitting on ? looks great btw

John Keeton
02-09-2012, 6:48 AM
Curt, you have done it again - a beautifully done piece from spectacular wood!! I haven't done as many of these "air turnings" as you, but I wonder if completely finishing the outside with a heavy, soaking coat or two of a resin based finish (Antique Oil, WOP, etc.) might hold the peninsular pieces a bit better? Of course, there is always the tape thing or Saran wrap.

I am having trouble loading pics this morning, so I have not seen the base piece up close, but I will caste another vote for the base idea.

Cory Norgart
02-09-2012, 6:52 AM
Nice Curt,,,, wow,, that really stands out.. Nice job keeping the peninsular pieces in tact...Great idea for the base....

Jerry Wright
02-09-2012, 7:51 AM
Wow! I really like it. It screams organic. We often discuss that we should let the wood speak. You have really done it here. This piece certainly has not lost its roots!

Ken Glass
02-09-2012, 8:11 AM
Curt,
I see wonderful form carried through the voids in this HF. Great idea for the base, and it does not detract from the overall piece at all. Color and finish seem to be very nice too. Well Done.

Bill Hensley
02-09-2012, 8:32 AM
Love it!

The turning process was OSHA compliant. Right?

Tim Rinehart
02-09-2012, 8:43 AM
Curt, beautiful piece. I did a cherry burl recently that had one of those peninsular (never thought of that word...but fits perfectly) projections and I was able to simply remove it from a natural fault line, if you will, and then reattach it after the spinning was done. Good compromise and sure beats having to get on hands/knees looking for where it flew off to.

steven carter
02-09-2012, 9:05 AM
howbout permanently attaching the piece you have it sitting on ? looks great btw

+1 on that

Doug W Swanson
02-09-2012, 9:20 AM
I'm really surprised that thing held together. You must have lots of patience! Great job!

I'd also vote for just using the piece it's sitting on for a base.

Jim Burr
02-09-2012, 10:33 AM
I think this one exceeds anyone's expectation for chip ejection ports! We'll have to get a wood disclaimer for you; "No turners were harmed in the making of this piece"! Nothing not to love!

Harvey Ghesser
02-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Absolutely stunning, Curt! Excellent work!

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Curt that is a beauty. I really like the stand as it really makes it. It has a rustic look to it.

charlie knighton
02-09-2012, 3:39 PM
very nice, Curt

Steve bellinger
02-09-2012, 5:55 PM
Love it.If we have a say in the matter,i say keep that base it sits on also. Ether way what a great piece.

Michael Ginsberg
02-09-2012, 6:15 PM
OUTSTANDING!! Lots of Saran wrap and body armor??

Steve Campbell
02-09-2012, 7:30 PM
I can't believe you made it through this one. You seem to out due yourself on each piece.

Steve

Roger Chandler
02-09-2012, 7:48 PM
OUTSTANDING!! Lots of Saran wrap and body armor??

I was wondering the same thing...........looks like a wrap is a must on this one in order to hold together while hollowing......at any rate.........fine skills exhibited on this one Curt!

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2012, 8:41 PM
Outstanding is the word that popped into my mind too. Please, whatever you do, don't leave it that board!

Jack Daniels
02-09-2012, 8:46 PM
Curt great work.

Curt Fuller
02-09-2012, 9:53 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments! This one seemed to generate a few opinions on the piece of wood it was sitting on for the photos. My wife likes the pics with it on the wood, some others don't, I'm undecided still. But it will probably need something done to the foot to stabilize it.

Please, whatever you do, don't leave it that board!
DD, here's a pic without the 'board'.
As for this type turning staying together, I think everyone that likes to turn hollowforms should try something like this at least once. It's fun to watch the voids take shape and change shape as you remove more wood from the inside. And they're not nearly as fragile as they appear. It's actually easier to hollow because you can watch the cutter inside the form as it spins and see exactly what you're doing.

Thanks again for the comments.

Kathy Marshall
02-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Beautiful piece Curt! Great looking piece of wood and I love the voids.

Rich Aldrich
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Curt, Nice work, great wood and a high PF :eek: while turning I bet.