PDA

View Full Version : Calling A3-31 owners - snipe help

Nick Lazz
02-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I have had my Hammer A3-31 for 2 years now and it has performed very well. Recently I noticed snipe when planing 11-12" boards. The line starts about 2-1/2" from the leading edge of the board and runs straight across. I changed blades and still had snipe.
I contacted Felder and they suggested adjusting the rollers, but that has been of no use. I figured it was the infeed roller so I adjusted that first. After I maxed out my tension adjustment I started from scratch and tried to adjust the outfeed roller with the infeed roller.

None of my adjustments have worked. Sometimes it seems as though I have minimized it but there is still a noticeable line, both sight and feel.

I also checked my bed and it appears to be parallel with rollers. I can't figure it out and I haven't noticed this in the past, so I'm pretty sure it just started.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Ryan Mooney
02-09-2012, 3:10 AM
No specific adjustment advice as mine is still (cross fingers) rolling just fine, but I can say "wax wax wax wax wax wax" the bed and see if it helps at all. I've seen several folks having issues on the FOG and waxing (while not a cure all) is universally a good first step.

Steve Jenkins
02-09-2012, 9:28 AM
I'm not sure how the bed raises and lowers but you might check it and see if the bed rocks as the board enters the planer.

Jamie Buxton
02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
You are using the bed lock when you set the planer thickness? Or maybe you think you're using it, but somehow it isn't clamping?

Rod Sheridan
02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi, page 69 of your manual shows the different types of snipe and how to adjust the planer to eliminate it.

Check the rollers for dirt/gum etc, and clean and wax the tables.

Adjusting the machine would be last option, since unless a part has broken, it's the least likely option...............Rod.

Nick Lazz
02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys. The bed is waxed and locked...but it wouldn't hurt to try. I did use the manual Rod, and talked to service department twice. I think I will try and clean the rollers to see if that will help. If anything changes I'll report back to help others.
Service said they would be in my area in the next month or so and would stop by if needed. Nice to know that they're there if you need them.

Nick

Jeff Monson
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Nick, the only times I get snipe with mine is when my bed needs a good cleaning and waxing, or when I dont get the table locked down tight. Otherwise, its been a great machine. I'd think adjusting the infeed rollers would take care of your problem if its a mechanical issue. The updated manual goes through the adjustment procedure fairly well.

Nick Lazz
02-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I took the time to clean the rollers thoroughly and found a couple of spots with glue build up. It wasn't a large amount but I had to scrape it off. I re-cleaned and waxed bed and started over...made a couple of slight adjustments to my rollers (only since I knew they were off from my prior adjustments and re-set them back to an equal amount) and have minimized my snipe line to fairly non-existent. Most people, with other machines, would probably laugh now at what I'm complaining about but I guess I got used to real close to perfect results. The snipe now, if you can call it that, has really been minimized. If I hadn't have gone through this, it is likely I wouldn't notice any now but I can still feel the ever so slight ridge at the same point it was before.
I'll call it good. Thanks for all the input.

Nick