PDA

View Full Version : Help with finished work display at home

Wayne Bitting
02-08-2012, 11:09 PM
After taking two years off from turning with our first child and probably two more years with baby number two due in 10 more weeks, my wife would like to show case my old work so others can see, other playdate kids stop breaking them and to not forget how much I enjoyed turning. You can see how things are stored now as toys have taken over my makeshift display case.

Here are a few pics of things (most of them were posted way-back-when).

We were thinking of some short of display/shelf mounted to the wall above the couch. The problem is too low and you'd hit your head, too high and you can't really see things. Not sure if the bowls should be displayed on an angle so you can see in the outside and inside profiles or if it would make things too complicated. I would like to hear if anyone has any suggestions to get us going.

Many Thanks - Wayne

Dennis Ford
02-09-2012, 7:23 AM
I will be watching this thread as I have similiar problems.
I really like your bowls, the box elder with decorated rim is outstanding.

Paul Williams
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I understand your problem, except for me it is grandsons and their toys. I just lost a bowl this morning. I have several sitting on a short wall between the sofa and the stairs. It got knocked off and went down the stairs. Osage orange is tough but the fall took a large chip out of the rim. OO isn't common around here so I will have to look for some next time I get to Kansas. Like Dennis, I will be watching this thread.

Marty Eargle
02-09-2012, 10:52 AM
My mother and grandmother both use glass curios to display works I've given them and other fragile things. They are narrow, and fit in corner so not to take up too much floor pace. They also have glass pane doors to keep sticky little fingers off the wood.

I've also found that many people will habitually inspect the contents of a curio if they see one in a room because they know it contains goodies.

David E Keller
02-09-2012, 11:22 AM
We have a glass front cabinet in the kitchen that I use to display pieces that I've gotten from other turners... My wife won't allow my stuff into the house.

Wayne Bitting
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the complement Dennis. The box elder was a lot of fun and was the last peice I did before shutting down the lathe (err, finally saved up enough to buy it and only used it 5 times:( at least is will still be there in two more years).

I thought about a curio type cabinet, but feared the glass getting broken and hurting the kids/kids friends since its in the now play room. An idea I had on the drive into work this morning was to maybe stick them on a wad of clay at the best viewing angle for each piece. Then insert a big rare earth magnet and let it dry. After the clay is dry, rest the bowl against the clay form and stick a metal washer (with felt on the back) on the inside of the bowl so it holds it in place but still can be taken off and passed around. Toss it on a shelf "out of harms way" (like there is such a thing with kids around) and call it a day. Most of them are thin enough that I don't think will have much problem with the magnet latching enough to prevent things from rolling away.

Brian McInturff
02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
We have a glass front cabinet in the kitchen that I use to display pieces that I've gotten from other turners... My wife won't allow my stuff into the house.

That's too funny and just way too humble of a reply. Just send all your turnings to me and I'll be more than happy to display them for you. lol