PDA

View Full Version : Decorative Acrylics

Jonathan Overlin
02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Hello,

I do primarily art projects with my Trotec 100, and am always on the look out for interesting materials.

I am currently looking for cast acrylic sheets that have these properties-

1. Colored, frosted on one side. (here is an example- https://www.inventables.com/technologies/kiwi-acrylic-sheet - the problem with this is, its $11.00 a sq ft.)

2. Acrylics that have different coloration.

Milk glass (like you see with stained glass)
Mica
marbleized
All of the above are available from here, http://www.acrilex.com/selector.cfm the problem is that you have to buy 5 sheets of each at $130ish per sheet.

I've also looked at at galaxy plastics, but I always thought they looked a bit shady (it looks like I was right, as today there website is suspended)

Your always amazing thoughts are appreciated,
Jonathan

Rodne Gold
02-09-2012, 12:44 AM
If you want cheap material to mess with , with a zillion finishes , try Formica countertop material. Use it atop cheaper 3mm substrates like ABS or plain acrylic.

Dan Hintz
02-09-2012, 6:48 AM
Look at what Evonik-Cyro offers... you can order directly from them, or find a dealer who sells their stuff (I think TAP is one, for example). They do a lot of patterned stuff...

Richard Rumancik
02-09-2012, 9:08 AM
It seems you can't get small quanitities at a low price - pick one or the other. The distributors who sell/stock small quantities are holding a lot of inventory - so I suppose it is understandable that they need to charge a lot per square foot as there is a lot of overhead in selling a few square feet at a time. So if you need something special, it seems like you have to pay 2x or 3x the price on a square foot basis. I think you need to accept that that is the price and determinine your selling prices accordingly. It might rule out low-end products but for higher-end signs etc it may still be justified.

Martin Boekers
02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
You can do what many do here, work with clear and paint the backsides. You can get many different effcts
depending what you art looking for.

You can search under faux finishes and marblizing for ideas on painting.

Yep, custom acrylics aren't cheap. Acrilex has an amazing selection, you might want to check out their beach glass collection.

Martin Boekers
02-09-2012, 10:14 AM
You might also want to check the Corian website as the sell small samples (12x12) in a variety of finishes.

Terry Albrecht
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Is it possible to use use a clear acrylic to engrave and then glue using a UV curing glue to attach something like a Formica to the backside giving it some color?

Martin Boekers
02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Is it possible to use use a clear acrylic to engrave and then glue using a UV curing glue to attach something like a Formica to the backside giving it some color?

There are a few ways to do that. I worked in the Trade Show Graphics industry for years. We used
an optically clear double stick tape to mount photos, transparencies or diffusion material to the back
of plex. Try to find a large format graphics house or maybe a sign shop could help with the lamination
as it takes special equipment.

You may end up being able to trade off services or develope new clients in the process.

If you have trouble finding one, contact, Coda, 3m or MacTac as they all make the adhesive and they
can recommend a local graphics house.

Richard Rumancik
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM
There have been some interesting suggestions as to how to make unique substrates by laminating. But the jist of the discussion seems to be to make something unique, as cutting 2 shapes and laminating with not-inexpensive adhesives will end up costing more than $11/ft sq. Again, the high-end can accept this. Stay away from the low end.

Doug Griffith
02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
There have been some interesting suggestions as to how to make unique substrates by laminating. But the jist of the discussion seems to be to make something unique, as cutting 2 shapes and laminating with not-inexpensive adhesives will end up costing more than $11/ft sq. Again, the high-end can accept this. Stay away from the low end.

Not to mention the damages from trapping air between 2 rigid surfaces and the adhesive film. One air bubble and start over. I would take $11/ft any day.

Martin Boekers
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM

That is an issue we all face, some clients want a Lexus, but only want to pay for a Kia! :)