PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning bandsaw blade tires

Anthony Whitesell
02-08-2012, 8:51 PM
I have a Grizzly G0513X2 and I was changing blades and noticed a lot of junk caked on the tires. Some scraped off with just my finger nail and the rest is more stubborn. Pitch perhaps. What can I use to clean the junk off tires? (I looked in the manual and it does not have any reference to tire maintenance beyond making sure the blade is centered)

Van Huskey
02-08-2012, 9:51 PM
I have a Grizzly G0513X2 and I was changing blades and noticed a lot of junk caked on the tires. Some scraped off with just my finger nail and the rest is more stubborn. Pitch perhaps. What can I use to clean the junk off tires? (I looked in the manual and it does not have any reference to tire maintenance beyond making sure the blade is centered)

I get the wheels spinning, easy for the bottom and for the top I use a sanding drum on a drill. As they spin I use the side of a putty knife to scrape off the gunk, then finsh up with a good rub down with Simple Green or the like to get the last bits and the a dry towel. It is easier if you do it more often and certainly if you have good wheel brushes and keep them adjusted. I find many stock wheel brushes are too flexible but dollar store brushes can be found in all manner of shapes to fit most any situation.

Anthony Whitesell
02-08-2012, 10:13 PM
That's the bummer. I have a stock brush on each wheel and the blade and in a sales special at WC ended up with a second set that won't fit as replacements, so I built brackets and added them. Two brushed on each wheel plus one of the blade (5 total) and I still ended up with this mess.

I forgot about the big bottle of Simple Green sitting on the other bench.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2012, 9:31 AM
I found on my Delta 14" that getting rid of the sawdust right below the table using mu DC significantly reduced the build up on the wheels.

Anthony Whitesell
02-09-2012, 9:41 AM
That's on the to do list, but after the DC upgrade so I can support more suction surface area. The G0513X2 has a port in the top of the cabinet below the table but I don't think it's enough plus there's a lot of sawdust on top of the lower cabinet right below the table.