PDA

View Full Version : Pieces Iin Work

Harry Robinette
02-08-2012, 8:38 PM
Returned this bowl 2 weeks ago but had to sand it this morning. I decided to fill the holes with epoxy and coffee, the holes are from the metal that was embedded in the wood. When I finally get it done I'll post the metal with the bowl.
The spindle holder I rigged up today to do some chair legs and stretchers for a friend. I let him bring the Oak in the shop but checked it to make sure it was really dry.( 8% by my meter) So now I have to do one of the things I really don't like, Spindle turning. Oh Ya
I have to make 3 legs and 4 stretchers what fun.
Wet oak of any kind really sets of my lungs the last bout lasted 2 week so no more wet oak in the shop.

Harvey Ghesser
02-08-2012, 8:49 PM
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, Harry.

I'm anxious to see what your bowl looks like. Please do post it finished.

Turn safe...

charlie knighton
02-08-2012, 10:16 PM
good projects, looking forward to seeing finish products

Dan Kralemann
02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I have never used the epoxy and coffee fix, but have read about it. Do you return the piece back to the lathe and tool the epoxy/coffee mixture, or is it only sanded smooth?

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-09-2012, 3:29 PM
I like the spindle sample holder - very good idea indeed!

jeff nist
02-09-2012, 4:56 PM
Hey Harry, that bowl looks great, and I can't wait to see it when finished! Is that Walnut? Also looks like you have a good set up for the repetitive spindle work. I can understand not being a big fan of that, I'm in agreement with you there!! I haven't seen you in the store for quite a while...you still working there??

Harry Robinette
02-09-2012, 5:00 PM
Primvs
Any way you can get the sample up close to the copy it makes it allot easier to copy. Your eyes have a constant reference to work to.

Jeff
The bowl is cherry but it had ALLOT of metal in it, I only work 2 days a week now.( more turning time )

Steve Vaughan
02-09-2012, 5:13 PM
That bowl's gonna look really nice! Wanna see those finished pics of that AND the spindles. You've got a good set up there going for that spindle work. I found in doing my bed posts, I had to go back and forth, back and forth a zillion times with calipers and a ruler just checking. Let's see it all finished up too!

Bill Hensley
02-09-2012, 6:22 PM
Good luck Harry! There is no way any spindle work I did would be identical.

Harry Robinette
02-09-2012, 6:37 PM
Steve
I'll post pictures when the bowls done and also the spindle work.
Bill
I don't remember saying anything about them being identical, MAYBE close look-a-likes.

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-11-2012, 9:30 AM
Thanks Harry, "MAYBE close look-a-likes" - that's where I'm at, at the moment!