PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hearted, a HF

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2012, 7:45 PM
Curly Maple, 6.75” diameter x 5.75” high, it is slightly warped and full of cracks. Extremely thin on top, the thickness gradually increases until it is about ½” thick at the base. Dyed with Red TransTint multiple times to get the deep red coloring, it was sanded to 400 grit and has over a dozen coats of gloss wipe-on poly to give it that dipped-in-glass finish. After the finish has had time to cure, it will get buffed and receive a coat of Renaissance wax.

223142 223143 223144 223145
223146 223147 223148

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Harvey Ghesser
02-08-2012, 7:49 PM
Stunning, Steve...absolutely stunning! I love your work.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2012, 7:49 PM
Steve, a question........now with the cracks, etc..........do you consider keeping this for your own collection or will you place it in a gallery............especially with the "defects" that some may not consider defects, only the true nature of wood?

Nice form and finish as usual!

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2012, 7:51 PM
My first reaction to seeing this was a sharp intake of breath. It's just a beautiful form, cracks notwithstanding. The figure is nice but my favorite views are those of the "plainer" sides where the form and color are the whole story.

Harry Robinette
02-08-2012, 7:56 PM
Yes Steve that is red but I don't understand the broken part it looks great and whole to me.

Dan Forman
02-08-2012, 8:00 PM
Well, I like all sides of this. Lovely form as usual, and the dye job works well with this wood.

Dan

Harvey Ghesser
02-08-2012, 8:08 PM
Steve, a question........now with the cracks, etc..........do you consider keeping this for your own collection or will you place it in a gallery............especially with the "defects" that some may not consider defects, only the true nature of wood?

Nice form and finish as usual!

Roger, I think Steve was trying to portray a metaphor here. The cracks were natural and he used them quite successfully by naming this beautiful, red heart shaped piece "Broken Hearted".

John Keeton
02-08-2012, 8:45 PM
Steve, the cracks are not nearly as bad as I had envisioned when you mentioned this piece. The form is striking, and one of the nicer pieces you have done. I really like the red, but sometimes it is hard to pop the curl on the sides with dye. I wonder if adding just a touch of black to the red might give more of a penetration in the curl and perhaps a darker, deeper red?

Worth the effort, for sure!!! Another signature piece!

David E Keller
02-08-2012, 8:46 PM
Just in time for Valentine's day! Neat looking piece and phenomenal finish!

Doug W Swanson
02-08-2012, 8:54 PM
Great job, Steve. I like that the curly only really shows on 2 sides and the other 2 sides are fairly plain....

Roger Chandler
02-08-2012, 8:58 PM
Roger, I think Steve was trying to portray a metaphor here. The cracks were natural and he used them quite successfully by naming this beautiful, red heart shaped piece "Broken Hearted".

Harvey.......I realize that.........my question is related to "perceived defects" being something a gallery would consider carrying..........it might depend on how well known an artist is............

My reason for asking is that I had a piece of the historic Jackson prayer tree crack on me..........is it a waste, or does that small "defect" disqualify it for a gallery piece?

I am interested in Steve's perspective on this.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-08-2012, 9:01 PM
In the pursuit of our craft the thickness of the pencil line can be enough to make a noticeable difference in how pleasing the finished shape appears to the eye. The color is appealing and the finish sublime but the shape, Steve.......... The shape is right on the line.
faust

Jim Burr
02-08-2012, 9:08 PM
That is a classic "SS" shape, and the glass finish, as we have come to expect, is intact! I can't but think the addition of another color, black...yellow, not green!! may have had a different outcome. Be that as it may, you sure got the grain to kick on this one. Those cracks present a multitude of opportunities, not the least of which is to let it be! Ya done this one good!

John Keeton
02-08-2012, 9:50 PM
Great job, Steve. I like that the curly only really shows on 2 sides and the other 2 sides are fairly plain....Doug, curly maple will always be this way as the curl runs perpendicular to the grain - the end grain will show little or no stripe/curl.

Bill Wyko
02-08-2012, 9:57 PM
Steve, in all the years I've watched your skill transform, your style and detail just keeps getting better. The form of this one is wonderful and the color you've achieved is excellent. Another beauty for sure. Thanks for posting.

Bill Wyko
02-08-2012, 9:58 PM
steve, you and I joined SMC about the same time. I've always looked forward to your work since day one. Today is no exception, well done my friend.

Bill Wyko
02-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Steve, you and I joined SMC about the same time. I've always looked forward to your work since day one. Today is no exception, well done my friend. Sorry for the double post, my computer went on the blip.

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Roger - the cracks were in the wood before I started to turn it. They have all been hit a few times with CA glue and also have about a dozen coats of poly in them - so I hope they will hold. I did not want to try and hide the cracks with fill or some colored material but wanted the cracks to remain natural looking and show that the piece had been under stress. I hope that when it does go to the gallery - that it will indeed sell!

Just to let you know - I have sold pieces as well as won awards in juried art shows with pieces that were flawed (cracked). I think as long as the crack is part of the theme - it works.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Steve that is a beautiful piece. I like the red color and the form is just outstanding.

Cory Norgart
02-09-2012, 7:14 AM
Great looking piece Steve,,, You are right about the dipped in glass look,,, I cant see the cracks,,, but imagining them really applies to the name, very cool...

Tim Rinehart
02-09-2012, 9:04 AM
Beautiful piece Steve. I'm with you on effect of the crack, especially if evidence indicates the artist turned with them present. Interesting point raised about a bit of black perhaps on first dye to add depth to all the following coats of red. I don't know enough but may have to try that out. Problem may be in getting true black and not one that is comprised of blues that may cause the red to just purple up. Don't want to diminish the 'heart' red value on this.
Look forward to shots of this gem after a polish!

Scott Hackler
02-09-2012, 9:14 AM
Beautiful piece Steve. The coloring is very nice as is...of course, the form itself!

Russell Eaton
02-09-2012, 9:20 AM
another incredible turning Steve. Great job.

Doug W Swanson
02-09-2012, 9:33 AM
Doug, curly maple will always be this way as the curl runs perpendicular to the grain - the end grain will show little or no stripe/curl.

You learn something new every day. I just don't recall the difference being that distinct on other pieces I've seen. But then I'm still a relative newby at this stuff!:)

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
John, I meant to get back to you on this last night... then forgot. The reason I didn't dye it black first - then sand it back is because I did not want the cracks black. I wanted them a very deep red to keep within the theme I had in mind. If I would have dyed it black first, I believe that you are correct in that the curl would have been highlighted just a tad more but I had my fingers crossed that multiple applications of deep red would get close to the same result. I like the way it turned out.

steven carter
02-09-2012, 1:25 PM
I had my fingers crossed that multiple applications of deep red would get close to the same result. I like the way it turned out.

So do I. This is a real gem a.k.a. Garnet. Really like the form, the color, and the shine. Well done!

Curt Fuller
02-09-2012, 7:30 PM
Steve, it's just unreal to me how persistent and patient you are with finishing. I'm not a huge fan of the color red for some reason, but when you go such lengths to make it look like glass even red looks good. My own experience with WOP is that it takes a day between coats or it ends up being a sticky mess. Do you have 12 days into this finish? Or do you have a secret? Whatever you do to get that perfect finish, you should patent the process. That's a beautiful turning, as always.

John Keeton
02-09-2012, 7:37 PM
Steve, actually I was thinking of adding just a drop of Transtint black to the red before application. It would deepen the red somewhat, but might add a very slight burgundy tone - don't know if it would be detectable. Testing would be in order. I may give it a try on a piece of curly maple next time around.

Steve Campbell
02-09-2012, 7:53 PM
Like the color and form Steve. Just keep them coming.

Steve

Kathy Marshall
02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Beautiful piece Steve! Very nice form, great dye job and I love all the curl!

philip labre
02-10-2012, 7:12 AM
Love it Steve!!! The form, color, crack and name all came together perfectly.

Fred Belknap
02-10-2012, 8:21 AM
Steve great job, I really like that slick finish. I don't like my bowls to crack but in this case it obviously in't a flaw.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2012, 1:42 PM
Thanks again for all the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

Phil - glad to see you at the turning club meeting but wasn't able to get over to talk with you before you left. Hope you are doing well!