PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Version of Ci1-R2 Carbide Tipped Roughing Scapper

James Combs
02-08-2012, 5:17 PM
Back in Dec. 2009 I made myself an Easywood Ci0 clone (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158714-Homemade-Version-of-Ci0-Carbide-Tipped-Gouge-Scraper&highlight=). At the time I considered it a prototype and had planned on making another tool of better material. Just as a note, I have had no trouble with the original tool or it's function. However, in the mean time I ordered a couple pieces of 1/2"x1/2"x12" 304SS square stock. I didn't like the amount of work that I had to put into smoothing and shining the cold rolled that I used for the original tool.

Last week I finally got around to making another tool from the stainless steel. This time I made it for the Ci1-R2 insert. I made it to more or less match the shape and size of the original tool. I didn't have anymore of the wood I used for the original handle(what ever it was) but I had a 3' piece of 6-4 2x6 curly maple that work out well aside from color match.:rolleyes:

Here I am turning the tine on the end of the SS after machining the other end for the insert. The box knife is just for perspective on size.
223126223127When it was this far along I used it with a gloved right hand as a finishing scraper on it's new handle. It worked so well I am thinking of making another just like it but with maybe a 6-12" handle for finishing pens.

I put a base coat of natural Danish Oil on it hoping to darken it up a little to match the first one but it didn't help much.

A couple days later I epoxied in the tine then realized it wasn't completely finish coated yet so I had to devise a way to hold it in my lathe since I prefer finishing on the lathe. A small jam chuck on the headstock end and a piece of aluminum angle iron with a dimple on the other did the trick.

This is the finished tool after 3 coats of satin WOP in its storage location next to the original. Both are just above my head and to the right when working on the Jet 1642. There is also a new Henry Taylor 1/16" parting tool stored there too.:D
This gives you an idea of the location, that is the silhouette of the original tool you can see through the plastic. The Jet is on the right and my Griz G0658 midi is behind the curtain on the left.

A close up of the business end with insert installed.

C&C welcomed and thanks for looking.

John Keeton
02-08-2012, 5:21 PM
Great work on the tool, JD - my only concern would be the storage of tools (particularly sharp ones!) above head level. Crazy stuff happens sometimes when one reaches for something, and it would not be good to have that tool coming down toward one's body. Just a thought.

Mitchell Garnett
02-08-2012, 5:53 PM
How timely. While it wasn't a chisel I had a 2" wide tape dispenser on the wall near my lathe. I found it in my way but never got around to dealing with it until yesterday... after I peeled a chunk off my thumb on the blade. I'd definitely consider moving the chisels. Just my 2 cents.

James Combs
02-08-2012, 6:02 PM
Great work on the tool, JD - my only concern would be the storage of tools (particularly sharp ones!) above head level. Crazy stuff happens sometimes when one reaches for something, and it would not be good to have that tool coming down toward one's body. Just a thought.

How timely. While it wasn't a chisel I had a 2" wide tape dispenser on the wall near my lathe. I found it in my way but never got around to dealing with it until yesterday... after I peeled a chunk off my thumb on the blade. I'd definitely consider moving the chisels. Just my 2 cents.

John/Mitchell, thanks for the concern and I know what you mean by crazy stuff happening, that tends to be the cause of a lot of accidents. I work on another location and see what I can come up with. I had actually created the location after starting the new tool. The original tool up to now had been stored in fitted brackets on the "weight" shelf under my Jet. However, I was always dropping drops CA and other finishes on its handle which is the reason I moved it. So...like they say "back to the drawing board" I'll come up with something safer.:o As you can see in the open curtain shot my normal tool storage rack is full and so is that wall, I may have to do some rearranging.:confused:

Jim Burr
02-08-2012, 9:21 PM
So how much are these going for? Good lookin' work sir!

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
James those look really good. Well done.

Michelle Rich
02-09-2012, 8:13 AM
great job. Glad you have the tools to make these. I cannot for the life of me figure why these tools cost so much. the carbide cutter is 14.00 the handle & shaft is over 100.00???? Yikes

Tim Rinehart
02-09-2012, 8:56 AM
Nice work JD...very nice. For what it's worth, I made a rougher knockoff myself about 2 years ago, and more out of safety of design, I kept the 1/2" square bar pretty long, running darn near the entire length of the handle. I opted to create a square recess in the handle by making it in halves, with routing out of groove, then epoxying in and closing, with final shaping by holding onto the 1/2" square in my chuck to turn the handle. Profile looks like yours and the EW tools.

My rougher gets pretty harsh service, usually when I've got some ugly log or rough edges that didn't get sawn off, so the extra ballast of the weight plus the nearly full extension of the tang into the handle provides some safety as well. I've had mine get my 3520's belt singing several times using it, but no concerns on possibly snapping a handle.

Bill White
02-09-2012, 11:17 AM
After all that excellent work, CAN I HAVE YOUR OLD ONE?
Well done sir. I've been following all the stuff on the carbide tipped tooling. I may have to fall for one soon.
Bill

James Combs
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
So how much are these going for? Good lookin' work sir!
:rolleyes: Sorry, personal use only and thanks.:D

James those look really good. Well done.
Thanks Bernie, I will let everyone know how it preforms, after all I haven't used it yet...with a handle.;)

great job. Glad you have the tools to make these. I cannot for the life of me figure why these tools cost so much. the carbide cutter is 14.00 the handle & shaft is over 100.00???? Yikes
I am guessing that it is a lot of overhead Michelle. However, if I were to make them for sale(and I am not) even at minimum wage(KY=$7.25/hr) I would have to have(does a quick spreadsheet calculation) $70-80 for one like this one, and by no means would I be charging $7.25/hr for my time. I regularly quote my shop rates at $10(unskilled), $20(Skilled Your tools), $20(Semi-Skilled My tools), and $30(Skilled My tools). Making these would generally be the $20-$30 ranges.:) Of course others could be more efficient then me(as I am slow:rolleyes:) so YMMV somewhat.;)

Nice work JD...very nice. For what it's worth, I made a rougher knockoff myself about 2 years ago, and more out of safety of design, I kept the 1/2" square bar pretty long, running darn near the entire length of the handle. I opted to create a square recess in the handle by making it in halves, with routing out of groove, then epoxying in and closing, with final shaping by holding onto the 1/2" square in my chuck to turn the handle. Profile looks like yours and the EW tools.
My rougher gets pretty harsh service, usually when I've got some ugly log or rough edges that didn't get sawn off, so the extra ballast of the weight plus the nearly full extension of the tang into the handle provides some safety as well. I've had mine get my 3520's belt singing several times using it, but no concerns on possibly snapping a handle.
Tim, I like the heavier handle idea for that reason I am thinking of drilling a pocket in the butt of the handle for some lead shot or BBs. The plus side is that my Jet 1642 won't be turning anything as big as your 3520.;)

After all that excellent work, CAN I HAVE YOUR OLD ONE?
Well done sir. I've been following all the stuff on the carbide tipped tooling. I may have to fall for one soon.
Bill
:rolleyes:Sorry Bill, there is no "old one" only my first one which is fitted with the round Ci0 finishing carbide. I use it for a different purpose so both need to stay here.;) It and my smaller midi EW finisher tools have regularly been my goto tools for most purposes. I am hoping this new one will take some of the load off of the midi EW rougher.