PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs desperate help!!!!

Josh Goldsmith
03-19-2005, 3:53 AM
Here is my problem. I am building this custom cabinet for a friend. I have been using honduras mahogany wood. I am just going to varnish it, no stain. I had to put some brad nails in unfortunately in the side. I read that normally you would use some white glue and then sand it and so on. I was wondering if there is any other way or is that the best way. Please be detailed in you answer. I am newbie that doesn't know very much. Thanks

lou sansone
03-19-2005, 5:58 AM
I assuming that you want to fill the nail holes. If so, mixing fine sawdust with the white glue and then somewhat carefully spreading that mixture into the nail hole recess and letting it dry is one way. You would then sand the surface flush and proceed with your plans to finish the piece. There are plenty of pre-mixed nail hole fillers that work pretty good. get one that matches as close as you can to the natural color of the wood. Best of luck
lou

Richard Wolf
03-19-2005, 7:46 AM
Welcome, I think for brad nail holes you are best to put one coat of finish on, than use minwax fill sticks, which are like crayons. Rub some into the holes and use a cloth to remove any extra. They come in many colors which you can match the color of the finished wood.

Richard

Josh Goldsmith
03-19-2005, 12:30 PM
I really want to thank you guys for helping me out. You guys gave me 2 ideas. Which one would you recommend for me to try first? If i try the fill sticks and it doesn't look good do you think i would be able to dig the fill putty out and do the white glue trick? Thanks again for helping me out. This website is great. I always have questions and don't know who to ask but thanks to this website i finally get all my answers answered.

Steve Clardy
03-19-2005, 2:40 PM
I'd use glue and sawdust. If you buy a $6.00 fill stick for magahony color, then don't use any more mahogany, what are you going to do with the fill stick you spent money on?? Just my .02

Bob Reda
03-19-2005, 3:17 PM
What I do for small nail holes is to just put a dab of glue i the hole and sand. It kinda mixes itself.

Bob

Charlie Plesums
03-19-2005, 4:04 PM
I would start with the glue and sawdust. The mahogany will darken with age, while the color of the fill stick will change less. Therefore a filler that is largely mahogany (sawdust or sanding dust) is more likely to be a similar color in the future.

Be sure to clean all the glue from around the hole because it will show through a clear finish. With white and yellow carpenter glue, it can be cleaned with a damp rag and elbow grease. Don't use a waterproof outdoor glue - cleanup is harder.

Ellen Benkin
03-19-2005, 5:42 PM
I would also get a dark wood glue -- I think Titebond makes some. It won't show as much as the regular yellow or white glue.

James Jaragosky
10-20-2007, 8:48 PM
i have used glue and sawdust for years, it works well and is cheap. plus it will take the stain better than sticks. also i have used sawdust and clear silicone with good results. patching many different kinds of holes ,even in brick.
but i don't think that will work too well with the stain. good luck.:)

Jim W. White
10-20-2007, 10:20 PM
6 of one, half dozen of the other ....but I'm with Richard on this one. Those fill sticks are relatively cheap ...and boy do they work nice!

...I've given up on mixing the ol' wad of glue and sawdust since finding the fill sticks. Definately pick your color and fill holes after finishing though (not before) if you go the way of the fill stick (as Richard noted)

Sean Troy
10-20-2007, 11:14 PM
I would mix the sawdust with some of the finish your going to use, fill the holes and sand flush when dry. Should be a good match with wood and no glue to stain the wood.

Luis Oliveira
10-21-2007, 1:41 PM
First of all, never try anything new on your project use scrap to do it. try both on scrap and see wich will satisfy your expectations...

John Keeton
10-21-2007, 6:52 PM
I normally fill all nail holes after one coat of finish. I have used the finish and sawdust with some good success. Obviously this doesn't work well if you intend to stain the piece. The other method I use with stained projects is to use some waterbased dyes to tint some Elmers wood filler. It takes a very small amount of the powdered dyes. I have on hand several colors, including brown, yellow, black, red, etc. One can take a spoon full of filler on a small plate usually get the match in just a few minutes. Since it is water based, if it starts to set up just add a drop or two of water. Seems I am able to match the stained wood much better with this method. It does take a little practice and, just like paint, a little red or yellow go a looooong way!

Lance Norris
10-21-2007, 8:38 PM
This wont help you now, but next time you could try this. I have never used one of these, but have read about them.

http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=215860