PDA

View Full Version : Link belts for Powermatic 66 Table saw?

Bob Deroeck
02-08-2012, 1:34 PM
I need to replace the 3 drive belts on my 1974 Powermatic 66 table saw. Has anyone replaced the three belts on a Powermatic 66 with link belts (Powertwist or others)? If so, how did it work out?

Reading past posts I've learned that if using conventional belts (4L-230 size) I should buy a "matched" set. I'd appreciate recommmendations for manufacturers of matched-set industrial belts and where to purchase them. Online purchases are preferred.

Thanks.

Bob

Sam Joyce
02-08-2012, 1:42 PM
I put link belts on my older unisaw and after having regular belts it is oh so smooth, especially in colder temps. I just made sure I had the same number of links on each belt. Some may say this is not as accurate as buying a matched set but you could fool me with the performance.

Van Huskey
02-08-2012, 2:15 PM
I came in the thread thinking you might have a 2 belt "pinch" system on the newer PM 66 to tell you it wouldn't work but although I have never seen link belts on a 66 I have on several other 2 and 3 belt machines and it works fine.

Don Jarvie
02-08-2012, 2:45 PM
I'm sure you can get the 4L-230 from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. My BIL got mine from the Auto Parts dealer. I've never used the link belts.

david brum
02-08-2012, 3:07 PM
I put link belts on my cabinet saw several years ago. It's run like butter ever since. Just be aware that link belts come in different widths and buy accordingly.

David Kumm
02-08-2012, 3:16 PM
Link belts do not trasmit power as effectively but with several belts it is a non issue. Optibelts are made in the UK and available in motor shops and machine repair shops. They are supposedly made to specs that are uniform enough to not require matched sets. Dave

Randy Rose
02-08-2012, 4:02 PM
I'm sure you can get the 4L-230 from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. My BIL got mine from the Auto Parts dealer. I've never used the link belts.

Don is correct, however to get a matched set, you must request them. They are then "picked" by lot #. If you don`t ask you get the next ones off the rack. They also both offer the link belts.
Both do mail order w online catalogs, I find the McMaster catalog easier to navigate. Both offer fine C/S IMO

Bob Wingard
02-08-2012, 4:54 PM
The quality of belts has gotten so good over the last 20 years or so that paying a big premium for matched belts is pretty much a waste of money.

Randy Rose
02-08-2012, 5:13 PM
The quality of belts has gotten so good over the last 20 years or so that paying a big premium for matched belts is pretty much a waste of money.

Certainly something to consider, however,
Not sure that there is any premium attached as there is no specific part # associated with matched sets. My local Grainger branch is closed, will dbl chk in the AM.

John McClanahan
02-08-2012, 7:06 PM
Search "powermatic 66" on ebay. You can get a set of 3 for $20.50, free shipping.

Kevin W Johnson
02-08-2012, 10:40 PM
What would the cost be for 3 link belts to fit a PM 66? At $20.50, the regular belts are a good deal.

I got a new set of 3 matched belts with the 66 I just bought the other week. The seller gave them to me when i remarked about the saw not having belts on it.

Randy Rose
02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Just as an FYI. Grainger price for 4L230 is $5.09 each.
Zero premium for matched set
2 meters of A/4L link belt = $61.95 10 meters = $288.75

Brad Adams
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Ha, buy three belts of the same size. Good look with a match. It took me three different belt brands before I found three even remotely close. The goodyear's were the closest I could find.

David Kumm
02-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I've heard enough stories about belts that I'm not sure that quality is such that all belts match. They are sourced all over and even from different countries so three picked off the shelf might not have been manufactured in the same place at the same time. Dave