PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift Selection

John Adank
02-08-2012, 9:54 AM
I've recently read some of the older posts on router lift selection but was just wondering if anyone had any new information. I was set to purchase the Woodpeckers lift but then started to read some of the posts about the Bench Dog 40-150 Pro Lift. I realize the newer style Bench Dog is currently using the plastic inserts vs. the older metal style. It sounds like it is pretty well made and has some extra weight to it which would aid in reducing some vibration. I will be installing it on a Porter Cable 7518 router with the Bench Dog router table cast iron top. The WoodPeckers lift also appears to be very well made. Not sure if I would go with the hand crank adjustment or the top wheel adjustment version. For some reason the top wheel style apeals to me more. I guess because you turning the wheel and looking right at the scale at the same time. Seems like the crank version would make you lean over to adjust it and might be a little harder to control the fine adjustment but I'm not real sure on this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

John

Jeff Monson
02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
John, I have been REALLY happy with my bench dog lift. I have it in the cast top also. Mine is the older version with the steel rings, but I dont really seem to think that would be a deal breaker for me. I also have the 7518 installed in my lift, it fits right in and also works well. The pro's for the bench dog lift, it fits right in the cast top, it stays put no movement (even with large bits). The cons, takes a seperate tool to raise and lower the router(not a big deal, but another thing to misplace), the adjuster hole gets packed with dust so the wrench will not fit in the hole (again not a big deal but worth mentioning). I wouldn't trade mine at this time, for anything else I have laid hands on.

Van Huskey
02-08-2012, 1:14 PM
The problem with your dilemma is they are both two excellent choices and almost to a person people with either one are happy with them. I have been happy with my WP lifts so thats what I buy, the BD is a fine lift though as well as the Jess-um. I wouldn't trade any of my WP lifts for a BenchDog. I think because all the high end lifts work so well most everyone has extreme brand loyalty. I have three lifts and planned to get different ones as I added them but just couldn't bring myself to do it since I was so happy with what I had.

I will also make the point before someone else does, BD table, high end lift and 7518 money will get you a good used shaper or very near a Grizzly/Shop Fox 3 hp shaper new, just food for thought.

Jeff Monson
02-08-2012, 2:04 PM
I will also make the point before someone else does, BD table, high end lift and 7518 money will get you a good used shaper or very near a Grizzly/Shop Fox 3 hp shaper new, just food for thought.

Coming from a guy with ??? bandsaws!! Get on the bandwagon and get a shaper and a highend router table.

Van Huskey
02-08-2012, 2:12 PM
Jeff, a shaper is on my used machine watch list but I am running out of storage room until I get this stupid shop built, I keep spending money on tools and get farther away from having all the money for the shop.

Stephen Cherry
02-08-2012, 2:19 PM
I guess because you turning the wheel and looking right at the scale at the same time. Seems like the crank version would make you lean over to adjust it and might be a little harder to control the fine adjustment but I'm not real sure on this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

John

I would look at the cr onsrud 2003 also, they do come up used, and the thing is built to light industrial standards. I've got a mast r lift, and the onsrud mechanism is much more robust. The deal breaker is if you want to do things taller than the hight of the max pin height. They use the a big PC router, and the base construction is really better than anything intended for hobby use, that I have seen, in my opinion. It's basically all cast iron in the lift. Plus, you can use the foot lever to raise the cutter to differnt levels to cut in steps, stopping at the max height with the stop setting.

As for adjusting height, On my onsrud router, jessme lift, and my shapers, I like to use the Wixey digital height gauge. Simply turn the height adjustment up with one hand while holding the digital height gauge with the other, stop turning when the height is right.

Stephen Cherry
02-08-2012, 2:27 PM
I keep spending money on tools .

I keep asking myself when it will end? Tools, tools, and tools, plus I have boats (I think 6). Van- what are you looking for in a shaper?

Van Huskey
02-08-2012, 3:44 PM
Van- what are you looking for in a shaper?

Something mega gloatworthy, be it a 3hp Grizzly with a 1hp feeder for $200 or a Martin for $2,000. The reality is probably a well priced PM 26 or Delta HD, I don't need a shaper but the grunt would be nice on occasion.

Back to lifts, I really don't think one can go wrong with the 3 big contenders (and their rebadged siblings) and if you buy anyone of the three you will likely be here a year from now telling people to buy the one you bought. One other note if you get the WP before you get the Sidewinder version do some research on its limitations regarding placement.

rick sawyers
02-08-2012, 7:36 PM
John,
Three or four weeks ago I went through a lot of information on which lift to buy. The more I researched the more difficult it was to decide which one to get, and it came down to me to the big three as previously mentioned. I chose the MasterLift 2 and am very happy with it. I like the simplicity of the crank on top with the easy locking mechanism. Of course the fit and finish and fine tuning are excellent, as I am sure it is with the WP and the BD lifts.

keith micinski
02-08-2012, 8:06 PM
I agree with the theory you can't go wrong with any lift. I have a Master lift I got when they were selling them off super cheap because they tried making them overseas and apparently it didn't go so well. I have noticed nothing wrong with it and love it but I will say the one feature I would like is the speed lift option because raising the bit and lowering can be a little tedious. That having been said my only complaint is that the bit raising and lowering could be faster so that tells you that you really can't go wrong.