PDA

View Full Version : Get Woodworking Week

Shaun Mahood
02-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Thought I would post my hopes for this week. I'm starting a couple projects with my Dad, going to build a workbench for my garage, then a workbench for his garage, together. It happens that this week will be the start of the builds. He hasn't done any woodworking for more than 30 years.

His father worked for a lumber company in BC, and only did any woodworking because they couldn't afford to buy premade things. He built a trailer out of wood to go camping, and the tools he had when he died were basically all unpowered.

I've got 3 handplanes that I have tuned up and are working well. I've got a smoother I bought, a block plane my Dad bought when he was woodworking, and a longer bench plane that his Dad built everything with.

Two generations of my family are building things, using the tools from three generations. Three years ago the only tools I had ever really used were screwdrivers and hammers. Thank you guys for helping me so much wih your conversations, advice, and willingness to share. I can't quite put into words what a big deal this ability to connect with my family means to me, but I bet most of you understand.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2012, 1:38 AM
I can't quite put into words what a big deal this ability to connect with my family means to me, but I bet most of you understand.

I understand, I have a few tools my father gave me and think of him when using them or just seeing them on the shelf.

jtk

Todd Burch
02-08-2012, 8:54 AM
Good for you! Think you can "get 'er done" in a week? Or two benches in 2 weeks?

Todd

jeff . whitaker
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
There is some thing fulfilling working with a tool that your Father/Grandfather held in his hands and worked with.. makes you feel like part of the circle. The other side of the coin... who are you going to be passing on your tools and hard won knowledge to......

Jeff

Shaun Mahood
02-11-2012, 5:56 PM
Managed to get some time in the shop today - got about halfway done a new sawbench based on Jim Tolpin's latest book. Had los of fun, playing wkth different tools and showing my Dad some of the neander ways of doing things I've learned. He had a good time ripping a board, chopping with a mortise chisel, and using his Dad's plane. Apparently it's much sharper now than when he used it 40 years ago, so thank you to everyone who helped me figure that part out.

I also got to use Paul Sellers' convex bevel sharpening method, I'm now a total convert and loved it. Was able to sharpen chisels and plane blades while working, no jigs needed, in about a minute. As a bonus, I think they are sharper than I could get them before.

Steve Branam
02-11-2012, 8:16 PM
That's great to hear!