PDA

View Full Version : Old Man Wants New Lathe. Any Ideas?

Jerry Wright
02-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I am about to celebrate 65 years on earth and it may require a new lathe. I read a lot on various forums from the loyal following of PM 3520B, mustard monsters. They are in the $4K range, however there is another plateau at $6-7K with Robust, Stubby, Serious, Oneway….. lathes. All are within the consideration of this aging relic. Anyone have suggestions or opinions on their pros and cons? Which is best and why? I would be upgrading from a 16”, 2 HPGeneral.

Alan Trout
02-08-2012, 12:33 AM
I am planning to buy one more big lathe. It will be either a Vicmarc or a Robust. I like the tapered roller bearings in the Vic and I like the Robust being American made by a heck or a nice Guy Brent English. I do mostly hollowing with a rig so a having a fixed head lathe is not big deal. Any of the lathes mentioned would serve anyone very well.

Alan

Jon McElwain
02-08-2012, 1:28 AM
One of the many reasons that I went with Oneway was the high end accessories that Oneway makes. They seem to have the most comprehensive line of turning products anywhere. I have a number of accessories and have found everything to be of the highest quality. Service has been top notch as well.

Probably the biggest reason though was the fully functional outboard turning capacity. The Oneway is a true bowl turning lathe. Of course, it can turn spindles too - if you ever need to!

John Keeton
02-08-2012, 5:30 AM
Jerry, my only experience on this topic is shopping all the lathes with Steve Schlumpf while at the AAW. We looked at them all - several times, and left drool stains on many of them. Steve was able to play with all of them, too. For all the same reasons as Steve, had I been in the market I would have made the same choice of the American Beauty. IMO, it was the ultimate.

And, congrats on your upcoming birthday!!

Dan Hintz
02-08-2012, 6:23 AM
I have to go with the American Beauty... but that's just because I now own one. :D

joel nucifore
02-08-2012, 6:43 AM
I just bought my last lathe, I use to own powermatic and can not say anything bad about it. But was tossed up between the American beauty and the oneway for a long time. Then took the plung and ordered the ONEWAY have been turning on it for about a month now.
AND ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW. The lathe is rock solid and as about as smooth as it gets.... go for the oneway

STOP BY ANY TIME YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH....... I LIVE IN PLEASANT VALLEY NY............ ITS AN OPEN INVITE FOR ANYONE

philip labre
02-08-2012, 7:22 AM
There is a used American Beauty for sale on Craigslist in Neenah, WI if you are up for a drive.

Anthony Cayll
02-08-2012, 7:55 AM
I own a PM 3520B and my father has an American Beauty and a OneWay. All 3 are great machines. My opinion out of those 3, the American Beauty is the way to go. What I like about the PM and American Beauty is the sliding headstock. Customer service is excellent for all 3 companies. I know when I upgrade I will be going with the American Beauty. I also like the Vicmarc.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2012, 8:01 AM
All I can say is that if I were in your position and had the funds to invest.........it would be the Robust American Beauty.......hands down! Including the tailstock swinger.

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2012, 8:43 AM
Jerry - all the lathes you listed are good machines and have their loyal followings. The perfect machine for you really depends on what it is you turn now and what it is you want to turn in the future.

As John mentioned, I dragged him all over the St. Paul symposium checking out the various lathes to see what would be a good fit for me. I wanted to upgrade from a Jet 1642, 2 hp, and quickly ruled out the Powermatic 3520B as I could not see paying more money for the same hp motor, a shorter bed and only 4" of additional swing. We did check out the Stubby and it does seem to be a very capable lathe... just didn't grab my interest. The Robust American Beauty won out over everything else because of quality and features. I really wanted additional swing, the AB gives you 25" and because of using my Jet for 5 years, the sliding headstock was not an option - it was a must have for me! I also liked the stainless ways because I got very tired of scrubbing down and re-waxing the Jet after every time I turned green wood! Also, I wanted something with more power. Either I really started using dull tools (nope!) or have become a little more aggressive when roughing out forms but I was stalling the 2 hp Jet more than I liked. I now have the new ultra-high efficient 3 hp motor and have been very pleased with it's performance! After roughing big blanks on my Jet, I used to tough the motor just to check how much I had worked the lathe. It was usually very warm - not hot - but very warm. The new 3 hp motor - even after roughing out a blank twice as big as I had on the Jet - has always been cold to the touch! I haven't even begun to tax it's capabilities!!

Last thing about the Beauty is that I also got the tailstock Tilt Away with the Gas Shock Assist. I don't have any problem removing the tailstock ... today... but I plan on this being my last lathe and figure in 10 to 20 years I may appreciate that feature even more!

Good luck with your selection process! Highly recommend - if at all possible - to check out each of your lathe choices in person. No matter what features are available - if the lathe doesn't feel right to you, then you know to keep looking. Have fun!!

Peter Blair
02-08-2012, 9:27 AM
As has been said before. Most of us who own one of the lathes you list would recommend the one we have. I have had a oneway for about 8 years now and the only improvement I would like is the stainless steel ways. When I purchased it I didn't anticipate how much I would enjoy turning wet wood. I do take special care of my steel ways but it would be nice not to worry quite so much. Over the years I have purchased lots of Oneway parts and even changed my mind a time or two and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to return something and exchange it for something else. First class all the way.

BUT . . . if you don't already have ALL the tools in the Vortex be sure to save a little cash!!!!

Whichever one of these lathes you choose you will be pleased I personally don't know anyone who isn't satisfied with any of them.

Rick Markham
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I've got a PM3520B and would only trade it for the Robust American Beauty!

Steve Mawson
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Wonderful problem to have, have fun looking. Of course let us know what you decide. I have a 3520 but certainly not married to it, like it and have had no problems. American made would get my vote if I had to go look for another one, however that is not a likely problem to have that .

Ken Glass
02-08-2012, 1:07 PM
Jerry,
First of all what's all this talk about 65 being old. If you don't have $ concerns then opt for the best you can get for the budget you have set for the lathe. Also remember, all the assorted toys that would go well with the new lathe like, extension, lathe tools, and etc., which can come close to he price of a lathe if your a big dreamer. I choose the Mustard Monster for my very first lathe and never looked back. Good Luck, it should be nothing but fun for you.

Jamie Donaldson
02-08-2012, 1:39 PM
I have loved the unique features of my Stubby 750(Studly!) for 10+ yrs. now, and the only cadidate should I ever suppliment my current 4 lathes would be the American Beauty. I have watched them evolve, from the very first model they produced, into a top quality machine, and the special accessory that really sets them apart for me is the rotating tailstock feature. The tailstock on Studly is not too heavy to move on and off the bed, which I frequently do, but lifting the tailstock on Oneways or Mustard Monsters can hurt you!

Harvey Ghesser
02-08-2012, 1:39 PM
Jerry,

In your quest for your last lathe, don't overlook the Stubby. It'll do small (pens) to large (30 inch swing) bowls and platters. It will take up a very small footprint (26 X 44), and come standard with 2 banjos and an auxillary bed which can be place in any number of positions. It also weights close to 700 pounds. The 2 horsepower (more than enough to handle anything we woodturners would ever dream of turning on it) is more power we'll ever want. Speed is adjustable from 8 rpm to 2800.

I live in Manassas, Va. and if you're ever in town, you're welcome to take her for a spin!

Jon Nuckles
02-08-2012, 8:33 PM
Not much to add to the good advice above, and it does not sound like you are particularly cost-sensitive. If you are concerned about cost, make sure you check what the lathes you are interested in really sell for rather than relying on a "list" price. You can get the 3520B for at least $500-600 less than list if you shop around during Powermatic's sales. Can't speak to whether the others you mentioned are ever discounted. Have fun shopping!

CW McClellan
02-08-2012, 8:54 PM
That American Beauty must be ya wife you didn't do nuttin with the last Lathe HE HE !!!!

Brian McInturff
02-08-2012, 8:58 PM
I'm a happy Stubby owner. It has some very unique features. The sliding and pivoting bed. An Auxillary bed. 2 banjos. Built in vac port. And the biggest selling point for me was the foot print. It gives you the ability to stand in front of your hollowing which was also a huge selling point for me. Sit back and write down what all you really want. Do you have a huge shop and more than ample space. If so then foot print would be at the bottom of your priorities. Are you going to turn 48" platters routinely? Is so then add the VB36 as a serious contender. List your priorities and assign #'s to them. And finally, try to turn on all of them. I really thought I was going to buy a VB36 until I turned on one. For me, it wasn't that comfortable. The spindle height was higher than I expected and I actually like the spindle a little lower(about an 1" or so) than what is normal for my height.
Last but not least, enjoy the process!

Harry Robinette
02-08-2012, 9:07 PM
Like so many of the guys have said get what will fit your style of turning. I used a 18" General 160 bed lathe and a Vega 2600 bowl lathe. If it was me I would go with a Stubby no questions ask.But of course thats just my $.02

Dan Kralemann
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I was fortunate to have the American Beauty be my first lathe. Outside of the other great aspects of this lathe, the seven year warranty was a large part of my decision to get this lathe over others.

Scott Hackler
02-08-2012, 11:54 PM
I have looked at almost every brand and model of lathes available at the two symposiums I attended. When, and I mean WHEN I upgrade ...I plan on purchasing the last lathe I will need. My short list was the Stubby and the Robust (both the Sweet 16 and the American Beauty) and the Onyx verision of the Powermatic. The PM (in BLACK) is a very nice lathe and relatively speaking a pretty decent amount of lathe for the money. The Stubby and Robust are a LOT more money. I like the small footprint of the Stubby and the Sweet 16 Robust, but for a bit more money the American Beauty wins out. It has all the features one would want or need, plus its made in the USA.

I would love to have one, but the PM is more "affordable", expecially for someone who isn't selling pieces to pay for it!

Bill Wyko
02-09-2012, 12:39 AM
My dream lathe is the VB36 but at over 10K itprobably won't be in my future. As far as Oneway goes, I had excellent customer service with them on soe tools. But after talking to the folks at Robust, I feel they would offer absolutely excellent service as well. The sliding head stock is a must for me so that eliminates the Oneway. I really thing the Robust offers the most useful features out of all of them (Including the VB36) If I can ever sell my Quad or a really expensive segmented turning, I'd go with the American Beauty.

Reed Gray
02-09-2012, 12:57 AM
I went through the selection process when the Symposium was in Portland, 2008 or so, can't remember. I had a PM3520A. The Oneway was not in the running because my lathe sits in a corner, and turning out board is not an option. Sliding headstock was a must. I got the bed extension, and the 3 hp motor. It will out last me by quite a few years. I did get the speed perameters changed on my lathe as well. It has 3 speed ranges, and the low range was too slow, and the mid range wasn't fast enough either, and I didn't want to change belts more than necessary. Speeds go down to 20 or less rpm on the slow range which I use for sanding, and up to about 2200 on the mid range for bowls. Perfect. I would expect that Oneway could do that for you as well. Also, Robust is the only lathe that I know of that has adjustable legs for height changes in 2 inch increments. I had the old PM up on a couple of 2 X 4s. I never waxed or cleaned the cast iron ways off on my PM, though I did take a paint scraper to it on occasion to get super glue off. I am kind of hard on my tools.

robo hippy

Jon McElwain
02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Also, Robust is the only lathe that I know of that has adjustable legs for height changes in 2 inch increments.

robo hippy

The Oneway now has adjustable height legs. It is a 6 bolt pattern and height is adjustable in 1" increments.

Reed Gray
02-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Glad to hear that Oneway does that now. All floor standing lathes should be able to do that. Another thing that both the Oneway and Robust do is the headstock shaft is removable by unbolting it. Great if you have to change the belt and/or bearings.

robo hippy

Dan Kralemann
02-09-2012, 2:17 PM
Although I did not mention it in my previous post, the adjustable legs on the America Beauty were also a big consideration to me. The legs on the American Beauty now adjust to any height and are not limited to inch increments. They also splay out the higher the lathe goes up. This means that it is always on a really stable foundation. Because of my height, 6'4", Brent increased the length of the legs on my lathe from what it normally comes with, so that I can raise the lathe up higher.

Dan

Thomas Hamilton
02-10-2012, 1:13 PM
In my opinion ROBUST is the best way to go.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2012, 3:05 PM
Doubt it would surpass the American Beauty, but when I attended a Nick Cook demo a few weeks ago, he said Powermatic was going to be coming out with a new 4224. It will have a sliding headstock and other modifications that he was impressed with.

allen thunem
02-10-2012, 3:47 PM
just curious why no one says much about the serious lathe?? if i had to buy a new one i would go with that monster
not sure why but i sure like the looks of it and how strong and stable it is
oh and jerry make me an offer on my 3520b so i can order a new serious
:)

Peter Blair
02-10-2012, 6:55 PM
Just came across this thread
http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/stubby.php?PIC=stubby/level
Not sure if you had seen it or not . . .

BILL DONAHUE
02-10-2012, 7:51 PM
I'm a financial advisor and may come at this from a different angle than the others and the others all had good advice. I always buy everything with the thought that someday I'll be selling it. Therefore, I buy everything low, never buy anything at retail and since i expect to sell everything later at a fair price, I only buy popular items that can be easily sold. If you can be patient, you'll find whatever you want used and at a big discount. It's a fact that woodturning is overwhelmingly done by old farts so there are always used lathes coming to market. I paid $1800 for an eight month old PM 3520B and if I decide that a bigger and more expensive lathe will give me more fun or allow me sell my turnings for big bucks, I can easily sell it for a profit. Buy low, sell high and sell often!

Jerry Wright
02-10-2012, 10:00 PM
WOW! I am amazed at the range of recommendations. What is particularly interesting is the range and diversity of reasons for buying a lathe. They include: power, stainless ways,weight, Made in USA, abundance of accessories, great service, quality of machine, bearings, outboard turning ability, tilt away tailstock, solid,sliding head stock, small foot print, and ease of resale. I suppose the reasons are as varied as there are turners. Another interesting observation is that few mentioned anything about relative prices!! Thanks for all of your inputs - they certainly will help with the evaluation process. Anybody think that I should tell my wife about any of this??

Jamie Donaldson
02-10-2012, 10:35 PM
You should definitely tell your wife that a good lathe will be much less expensive than spending several nights a week down at the local pub, drinking away your Social Security checks with some blond floozy! And the lathe will pay for itself with production work, and also keeping you entertained while doing research on all these different alloy tools, which allows you to write them AND the lathe off as a business expense! I could go on and on............!!

Jerry Wright
02-10-2012, 10:41 PM
I like the way you think!!!

Jamie Donaldson
02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I've had practice doing this for 25 yrs. Jerry, and am now on lathe number 7!!!

Peter Blair
02-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Tell your wife? For me whatever happens in the Vortex stays in the Vortex!

Thomas Canfield
02-11-2012, 10:40 PM
There has probably been enough said that my two cents is worth even less than that, but, I bought a Powermatic 3520B about 5 years ago and have had very little regrets. It has handled 100# plus chunks of unbalanced wood turning at 200 to 250 rpm down to the pens at 3000 rpm. I will agree that there are better lathes out there, but for the dollar and use, it is an excellent machine and most will not upgrade from the purchase. There are a lot of accessories and special wood that can suck up any extra cash one has, or I am open for adoption (if you want to adopt an old grandpa).