PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like an encoder strip???????????

Bruce Dorworth
02-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Recently I was cutting a file out of 1/8" hardboard. The file has a bunch of approx. .75" circles. The laser started out fine and after 10 or 12 instead of a nice smooth circle the laser would start to stutter a little. Then one or two more and the laser just stopped in one place with the laser on.

I tried this file again and it did the same exact thing. I cut a different file and the laser worked fine. So, I though it must be the file. I loaded a different version of the file and after 10 or 12 circles it did the same thing...........

Any ideas.............

Thanks for the look,
Bruce

Frank Corker
02-08-2012, 6:39 AM
Bruce, I think it must be the file. If it worked okay with a different file then it can't be that. Have you tried looking at the file in greater depth (node mode) you might find that there are breaks in circle. Sometimes when the circles are made copy and paste have been made and the file may have been horizontally flipped, which means that the laser first cuts one way then goes reverse (clockwise/anticlockwise). My suggestion to you would be to go directly to the first section of the file that caused the problem and look at that line in more detail. I would also suggest that you ungroup the file, remove the outer ones (just don't save it) and run it from there. It should just be a process of illimination. If when the outer rings are removed and the file still has the problems it must be those rings. You might just have to remake that area again.

Dan Hintz
02-08-2012, 6:40 AM
Could be the encoder strip is dirty, the encoder sensor is dirty and/or failing, the stepper motor and/or wiring is failing, the stepper driver, is failing, the motherboard is failing, and so on down the line. Start with the easy stuff first and work your way down the line.

Frank Corker
02-08-2012, 6:42 AM
I agree. For me it would be the file first as his laser works fine with a different file.

Martin Boekers
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Bruce, if you have an encoder strip I imagine you have a reader also. I always clean both at the same time.
I have had some things happen with files. So like Frank said check the file closer to make sure that there
are no breaks are multiple nodes.

Bruce Dorworth
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I thought it maybe the file but after a little bit the laser stops in one place and burns a hole in the wood. That is of course where I hit the "E" stop so I don't know if it was planning on going any further or not. Maybe I should run it with the laser beam off.

Next question: If I have an encoder strip where might it be????

Thanks again,
Bruce

Mark Sipes
02-08-2012, 1:17 PM
As a part of your troubleshooting I would make a run with the original art that was modified to have just a few of the graphics where the beginning of the problem occurs, lase on a piece of scrap. This would see if the location on the table is an issue.

Martin Boekers
02-08-2012, 1:58 PM
Next question: If I have an encoder strip where might it be????

Thanks again,
Bruce

Some engravers have an encoder strip, some have stepper motors. Do you know which one yours has?

On my Epilog it is on the backside of the lense carraige. Mine is about .5"tall and runs the length of
the bed. The lense carraige has a reader on it that move with the carriage it shines a beam through the
strip so it knows it's location. That is how it tell the laser where to fire. I imagine yours would be similar
if that is the system you have. The strip is clear with minute marks on it.

Good Luck!