PDA

View Full Version : Plastic bender created on the laser

Doug Griffith
02-07-2012, 9:28 PM
I thought I'd share another doohicky I built on the laser. This time I raised my hand to build a plastic bender. It accepts a vacuum formed part and folds each side up 90 degrees.

This pic shows the CAD file of the bender. It was built with layers of .216" MDF in mind from the get go. Once I sourced the components and downloaded their CAD files from McMaster Carr, I used their geometry to drive the design of the bender. This took me about 8 hours.

To get the 3D layers to 2D artwork, I laid all the wood parts flat and then converted them to surfaces. From there, I sent the topmost surface of each part to a layer and converted to curves. From there I exported the curves to Illustrator and did some manual nesting. The top grouping was cut once. The bottom twice.

Here are all the parts after cutting. It took just under 60 minutes. A few aluminum pieces were saw cut from a single T-shaped extrusion.

This is one of the "wings" that slides in and out to clear the heating elements. A layer of laser cut card stock that was used to give clearance for sliding. After the corners were "beburred", it slid freely.

This piece sandwiches the toggle clamp and is used to hold down the plastic during forming. Once everything is adjusted, it will be bonded together. It was also coated with many layers of varnish which makes it more durable. There is a negative angle of 3 degrees on each side to allow for plastic spring back.

Here is the assembled unit in the loading position. The hold down is not installed yet. Short drawer glides are used to position each "wing".

Here it is in the heating position. Nichrome wire, ceramic insulators, and a variac are used to do the heating.

Here it is in a partially folded position. The openings at the bottom of the picture interfere with the drawer glides unless the wings are at the bend position. This is to prevent folding the wings up while the plastic is in between the heating wires. That would be bad.

The whole unit took less than 3 days to create which is far less than if it was to be CNC machined. It was actually my entertainment during Super Bowl Sunday.

Khalid Nazim
02-07-2012, 9:39 PM
Fantastic. This is really inspirational.

Doug Griffith
02-07-2012, 11:12 PM
...and this is the part.

Frank Corker
02-08-2012, 6:34 AM
I love your stuff Doug, that's a real piece of engineering there, an awful lot of thinking gone into it as well. Great job as always.

Dan Hintz
02-08-2012, 6:43 AM
Ahhhh, American ingenuity (and if you were from another country, I'd insert it there ;)).

Martin Boekers
02-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Nice Doug! Always great to see someone taking the laser to a new level!

Albert Nix
02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Wow!!!!!!!

Greg Bednar
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
That's sweet Doug!!

Michael Kowalczyk
02-08-2012, 3:12 PM
Hey Dog,
Great idea. Love the pics from concept to finished product. Being innovative has it's perks and more, especially when you have a laser and know how to use it. Thanks for sharing

Doug Griffith
02-08-2012, 7:04 PM
Thanks all,
I thought I'd share something a little out of the ordinary. I know I went a little overboard for such a simple task but it's things like this that keeps work coming in the door. That and adding pretty fillets where a sharp corner would suffice.