PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshave advice: L-N or Veritas?

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-07-2012, 4:00 PM
I'm in the market for a round bottomed spokeshave. Lie-Nielsen or Veritas. Any advice?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-07-2012, 6:02 PM
I have the Veritas and I like it a lot, but the more I use spokeshaves, the more I like the kind (like the Lie Nielsen) that you set with a hammer. It's rare that I need to make large adjustments to blade projection, and I find fine tuning the cut easier with a hammer.

Mike Henderson
02-07-2012, 6:07 PM
I haven't used the Veritas spokeshave but I have used the LN and it's a good shave. You probably can't go wrong with either.

Mike

Steve Friedman
02-07-2012, 6:41 PM
L-N is much prettier, but the LV is a pleasure to use. Depends on how aggressive you want it to be. L-N is great, but if you have lots of material to remove, I would recommend the LV. If you have something small and fine to do, the L-N small bronze curved bottom is the best!

Steve

Ryan Baker
02-07-2012, 9:12 PM
Yes, the LN is for very fine cuts. It has a very tight throat. It is a nice tool though. I prefer the Veritas shaves for most things. I think they are more versatile.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-08-2012, 6:53 AM
A lot of different opinions here. How does the LV compare to LN in terms of adjustments? Looks like the LV has 2 knobs and the LN adjust like a bevel up plane, with a hammer?

Steve Friedman
02-08-2012, 8:55 AM
A lot of different opinions here. How does the LV compare to LN in terms of adjustments? Looks like the LV has 2 knobs and the LN adjust like a bevel up plane, with a hammer?
LV is incredibly easy to adjust. LN adjusts like a bevel up plane, but remember the blade is much narrower and shorter than a bevel up plane and the blade is held by two screw instead of one. Just needs a really light touch.

Steve

David Flynn
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
LN has 2 spokeshaves - the Boggs and the Preston style. The sole of each has a different radius - which is also different than the radius on the LV sole. I have the LV and it is a very nice tool - as I am sure both the LNs are! I bought the LV because I wanted the tighter radius for inside curves, and the Preston style LN (which has a similar radius sole) seemed a bit small (though that is only based on looking at it online.)

After struggling with adjusting a Stanley spokeshave I was worried about adjusting the LV but it is fine.

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-08-2012, 5:23 PM
I think i'm going to go with Veritas. Every other hand tool I have is LN so tough choice. But being the cheap Scotsman that I am I can save $40 and I know that it will still be quality as evidenced by all the positive comments here. Thanks for all your advice. "Respek." (said like Ali G (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUtCxe-xDg))

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-08-2012, 5:43 PM
OK, I just went to order on Lee Valley and now the choice is either A2 or O1 steel? All my planes are LN and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they A2? I'm not bothered by sharpening, I use the scary sharp method. I can get my plane irons to shaving-sharp in just a few minutes. I know this subject has been beaten to death here but I have no experience with spokeshaves and am wondering if there's a greater benefit to using O2 that I'm not aware of. I know L-N ship with A2 blades.

What do you all have and what do you recommend for me?

Dale Cruea
02-08-2012, 5:59 PM
My LV has an A-2 blade. I have never had a problem with it. Stays sharp for what I do/did with it.
The only O-1 tools I have are LN mortise chisels. Those I have sharpened just once.

Steve Friedman
02-08-2012, 6:01 PM
A-2. Not sure I see the purpose of 0-1 with a spokeshave. A-2 will get sharp enough.

Steve

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-08-2012, 7:12 PM
Thanks guys......A-2 it is

lowell holmes
02-08-2012, 11:33 PM
You will find that with the shims included in the package, you can close the gap and make really fine shavings if the occasion arises. I have both LV shaves. I don't use the low angle shave that much.

I also have a Lovejoy shave that I like a lot.

The small wooden shaves from LV are very handy and don't cost that much either.