PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Chissels

Jim Young
03-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Finally decided to get some "nice" chissels to replace the blue Marples that I have. My Japanese Woodworker catalog came in today and I started to browse. Came across the "nice" chissels and I was floored. They start around $200+. Now, I'm no poor guy but that even felt to me. Are those chissels really that good? Does the fact that some guy (no offense meant to him) hand folded the steel, forged and tempered it make the chissel so much better that one could charge that kind of $$. I'm thinking of getting just one to take a looksie.

Mike Holbrook
03-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi Jim,

I had that problem too. I bought a set of Kumagoro's from Highland Hardware. They are a little shorter than some but seem to work quite well.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=260

Dennis McDonaugh
03-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Jim, there's a lot of labor involved with making Japanese chisels little of which makes them "worth more" in my opinion. On the plus side they are very hard and maintain an edge for a long time, much longer than any western chisel I have used. The down side is they do that at the expense of being brittle and harder to sharpen. I tried a couple and just don't like using them for bench chisels because I would have had to change the way I work to preserve the edge. I do like the paring chisels they sell as dovetail chisels because they have a triangular back which makes it easy to get into dovetails.

I'm wondering if the LN chisels will give the Japanese chisels a run for their money since they hold an edge a long time and don't seem to be as brittle. I guess only time will tell on that issue. I ordered a couple to try, but they are backordered until the middle of April. I can't wait to try them.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Forgot to mention. If you are going to buy one or two to try, make sure they are good ones so you get a good comparison.

Mark Singer
03-19-2005, 1:46 AM
I bought a set of the LN and like them....I have several Japanese and altough they are good, I perfer the LN

Pam Niedermayer
03-19-2005, 7:28 AM
Jim, I've discovered I don't really need bench chisels since I've purchased the speciality paring and mortising chisels, most of which are Japanese. What's more, I don't need sets of chisels, only the sizes I actually use. My favorites are Tasai from Hiraide (japanesetools.com) and Funahiro from Hida (hidatool.com), but there are many other great makers, such as Fujihiro (by Imai) and some other Imai sold by Misugi. I bought a set of 12 bench chisels from Woodcraft (I think these are Iyori, but not sure), which I never use. Instead, I go to a set of 6 Two Cherries bench chisels, rarely. I think it would be very hard to beat the good Japanese paring chisels. Oh, yes, and don't waste money on what's called Mokume. The etching adds nothing to performance and isn't even done as well these days.

Now there are also some great western mortising chisels, such as PS&W, Witherby, Swan, etc., which are only available used. Also, Joel at ToolsForWoodworking is about ready to sell some new mortising chisels from Iles that he and Chris Swarz (sp?) say are fantastic. And for carving, a whole different issue, have quite a mix, but prefer Dastra and Addis.

Pam

Richard Wolf
03-19-2005, 8:02 AM
Well Pam really sounds like she knows her stuff. I like chisels and have been thinking about the Japanese chisels myself. But ask yourself if you have ever been to a woodworking show that sells Japanese chisels that they weren't spending the whole day sharpening them??

Stephen Dalfollo-Daley
03-19-2005, 9:52 AM
i too am looking at u[pgrading my marples to something better...here are my thoughts as i narrow down on my purchase:

Japanese chisels
I really like the way they feel in the hand, the look of the tool....seems like a real handmade tool for a hobby that is mostly using the hands...some of the other chisels out there do look like they are just cookie cutter made...i guess the jap. tools have character (this is why i will discuss Stanley 750s)

you can get a cheaper set like those mentioned above...or even cheaper at grizzly for $129...however they are machine made japanese chisels...they do look nice, and typical for a low cost entry into this type....however...i think that by spending $129 i would just be getting the 'marples' of the japanese chisel market.

if i i looked athe price ranges and various makers available, and think i would get the Iroroi bevel edge bench chisels from www.toolsforworkingwood.com as a good compromise...they are hand made and reasonable at ~$330 for a 12 chisel set....one thing that holds me back is how they perform in hard wood...i work in maple, qsawn white oak and cherry...i would loove to hear more about how users of japanese chisels deal with this...jchisels traditionaly are used on softer woods...i mention this because with the harder rockwell on the blades 61-64 they could/might/do chip easier

Lie Nielson
have read many times that they are the best western chisel out there A2 cryogenic steel, uses the Stanley 750 design, LN quality....BUT $%) PER CHISEL???? I just don't see the VALUE! A2 steel will be a little harder to sharpen, i have read that some have gone to diamon stones to sharpen or added a squeeze of diamond paste to an oil stone and get good reasults...the steel/chisels are known for keeping an edge much longer than typical marples or even better chisels like two cherries/hirsch

BUT $50 PER CHISEL?? Well you get a brand new chisel, LN quality, LN brag-ability, choiice of rosewood or standard hornbeam (ironwood handles)...and i guess you could return them if they don't perform as expected...BTW i got a set of the LN in my hand and they are so light....for me almost freakishly light...maybe the A2 steel, maybe because the marples i use just have more steel...anyway they do seem lighter than a 'standard' chisel when first pick them up...they feel great in the hand

Stanley 750
why not look at the standard that LN used for the design of their chisel...it is a good design, feels good in the hand....but you will have search to get a set...I believe the steel is as good or better than the best non-LN western chisels like two cherries/hirsch or others....some say you can run across them for 5-10 at flea markets...or search and wait on ebay for 20-25 per chisel...though recently they are going for 30-40/chisel...the last 5 sets that i have seen being sold have gone for about 40-44 per chisel...and some of these were not even sets, but rather a collection....so....it is possible to put together a set much cheaper or a little cheaper than the LN...let's say that they will run you $30/chisel higher for a more common set and better examples...lower if you are lucky at a flea market garage sale...for me ebay is becoming a freak show in pricing, and some collectors are turning more to chisels so YMMV

Other possibilities:

Two CHerries/Hirsch
same blade, same factory...different handles....if i didn';t go japanese, or the LN/750 route then these would be my first choice as far as a quality blade...the sizing of the chisel is larger than LN/750, more like marples...but i have read repeatedly that folks like the steel, and they do keep a good edge longer...definately a step up from marples, but likely not at the good japanese chisel/LN level...likely similar to old Stanley 750

Ashley Iles American pattern bench chisels
I believe they are also from toolsforworkingwood.com...i like the sizing of the chisels, and understand the steel is good, maybe even very good, but there is not a lot of data on the net about them

Right now if sets of these chisels were laid in front of me at the pricing i suspect i would:

- first get a set of stanley 750 chisels at least 8, maybe 10, 12 if there was a super deal...i am a sucker for old tools, and they feel good, with good steel...I figure $30/chisel
- TFWW Iyoroi bevel edge bench chisels...get a 12 chisel set for $330 (27.5/chisel)
- Two Cherries/Hirsch

The LN are just overpriced right now for the work i do...5 chisel set for 250 or 12 chisel set for 330...hmmmm again, this comes back to the fact that I just can't see the added value....bring the price down to $40/chisle and i might be all over them....the other bother is the delay in getting them and the limited sizes available

hope that helps...I am eagerly reading posts on chisels and look forward to info and background...BTW spend some time at woodcentral, woodnet, and the sawmillcreek forum search pages...plug in the word chisel and you will get a lot of reading to help...

Dennis McDonaugh
03-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Stephen, I think Pam gave good advice about buying only the chisels you need instead of a set. I have found that I need smaller increments in the narrower chisels, but not with the wider ones. I like to have a 1/8" and a 1/4", but need only a 1" and 1 1/2". That will bring the price of those Irori's down considerably.

Stephen Dalfollo-Daley
03-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I bought a set of 12 bench chisels from Woodcraft (I think these are Iyori, but not sure), which I never use.

Pam
Why do you not use them?? are the very good j .chisels you have so much better? or maybe because now you have the j. chisels purchased specially for a function?

thanks for any feedback.

Mark Singer
03-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I have a fine set of LN I use oly for fine joinery...I have a regular set of Swedish Bench chisels for regular tasks along with some individual favorites including some Japanese.. I have many old not so great chisels for rough work. I have an old set of Stanley 720's for paring and general bench work.As you spend time woodworking it is easy to collect chisels....your favorites for each special task will surface...some don't get used that much. The weight size and balance is important especially for finer joinery....these I spend more time sharpening and take much better care of.....I still have a set of Blue Marples and they are very good general shop chisels...I still use them

Michael Cody
03-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I might beat Bob in responding since I haven't seen him posting lately... but Pam has a good handle on the J-chisel info .. they are nice and are outstanding tools. However I am an old-school old tool kind of guy. I collect chisels. Go on Ebay or around to some flea markets and get your self some PS&W, Witherby, GI, Dunlop, Swan, Stanley, etc.. chisels .. clean them up and sharpen them. They will be so much better than anything you are used too you will not notice they aren't costing you 75-200$ each. I like the Stanley 750's a lot but like the Stanley Everlasts (though they will cost a premium for good ones) better. Witherby's might even be better than 750's but they all are about the same after the Everlasts.

Any good socket chisels from 1940 or older will be a great improvement over what you've got... plus at the prices you can find if you are willing to do some rehab work you can afford to take a set and make them skew chisels for parring, etc... and with all the money you save plus the fun of rehabbing them you can gloat with tons of pics!

Best of all, if you don't tell it -- the wood really won't know the difference ;)

Bob Smalser
03-19-2005, 11:52 AM
My Japanese Woodworker catalog came in today and I started to browse. Came across the "nice" chissels and I was floored. They start around $200+. Now, I'm no poor guy but that even felt to me. Are those chissels really that good?

I don't think so.

Fine steel...but brittle...but drop one on a hard floor or knock one off the scaffolding onto the gravel and you'll have one heck of a chip to grind out. I don't like the short lengths, either....harder to keep plumb and consequently a but slower to use.

Since you already have a user set why not buy some onsey-twoseys in the sizes you need and see which ones you like best?

It's only been recently that I've upgraded to complete sets of fine old chisels....I used an inexpensive set of Footprints and a few Japanese mortise chisels for decades.

But not one of my "fine old" chisel sets actually matches except for my rehandling and refinishing....I have every old prewar maker imaginable, and they are difficult to distinguish in quality as they are all generally excellent.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5090019/80534568.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5090019/80800758.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5090019/79872497.jpg

For me to pick a favorite would be a head scratcher between Witherby, Swan, PS&W, old Greenlee or New Haven Edge. Stanley'd come in the next group down.

Derek Cohen
03-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Jim

If you are keen on Japanese chisels, then Pam's advice is excellent. I have been using their bench chisels for some years, and really enjoy their sweet balance in the hand, and the sharp, durable edges they hold. But recently I bought a few Japanese dovetail chisels (Matsumura), which are fairly inexpensive, and I can imagine that these could well do all that the bench chisels could do as well.

I imagine that the professional woodworker will have a different take on chisels compared to an enthusiastic amateur like myself. This could come down to durable and usable verses fun and what-the-hell. In comparison to other hand tools, chisels are relatively cheap items. I really enjoy using them since they require a more immediate involvement. So I have a few "sets" of chisels, all built up over time, costing a little at a time, and now probably worth a lot more than I paid (in other words, these collections sound grander than they really are). In addition to a set of Iyoroi bench chisels, I have:

Witherbys: The classic American chisel. This has got to be the toughest steel out there. If I had to choose one chisel for durability, it would be a Witherby. They get sharp and stay sharp a long time. The down side is that the shoulders are thicker than desired for paring inside dovetails.

A E Bergs: The ultimate paring chisel. These highly desirable and collectable Swedish chisels are light and the blades are thin. I have them sharpened at 20 degrees and they excell at paring and dovetails. Good steel but not as tough as either the Japanese or Witherbys.

Others include: a set of Nooitgedagt bench chisels (amazing value for money on eBay some years ago) which are used for rough work, and a large assortment of Japanese, Ward, Sorby and Marples vintage mortice chisels, and Witherby Mortice and Sash Mortice chisles.

They are fun.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bart Leetch
03-19-2005, 3:09 PM
I'm no expert & am now totally confused sheesh.

I think for my clumsiness I'll stick with my Buck/Ace Hardware Chisels they seem to hold an edge pretty good. If it were not for anti fatigue mats no chisel in my shop would survive. As a quick project I am making a lidded box to hold my chisels & protect them so they stay sharp.

I'll pick up a couple more & make some skewed chisels & maybe a Marpels 1/8". We don't have very many flee markets here & I don't do E-bay.

I was looking in the Grizzly catalog at the $129.00 set of Japanese chisels & or the $49.95 set of 6 Irwin?Marples chisels.

Will the wood know the difference or will anyone know which chisel was used 100 years from now assuming they are kept sharp & what I make lasts that long?

I sure would like to get some old socket type chisels that I could make handles for.

Derek Cohen
03-19-2005, 8:46 PM
"now totally confused"

Bart

I would be a little wary of the Grizzly Japanese chisels as they have had some negative reports from dissatisfied users. Apparently the steel is quite soft and they do not hold an edge for long. Similarly, the new Marples, since the company was taken over my Irwin, have come in for similar criticism.

All you are after is (1) decent steel that will hold an edge and/or resist chipping out when used for its intended purpose, and (2) a chisel blade that is designed to do the work you want it to (whether to chop, pare, or lever chips). Not all chisels are the same in these categories. There are some good all-rounders (like the Witherbys and LNs), but then you must recognise their limitations and not go beyond that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pam Niedermayer
03-19-2005, 8:50 PM

Will the wood know the difference or will anyone know which chisel was used 100 years from now assuming they are kept sharp & what I make lasts that long?

Yes, the wood will know the difference. Not only that, a knowledgeable person may know which chisel was used.

Pam

Pam Niedermayer
03-19-2005, 8:54 PM
Well Pam really sounds like she knows her stuff. I like chisels and have been thinking about the Japanese chisels myself. But ask yourself if you have ever been to a woodworking show that sells Japanese chisels that they weren't spending the whole day sharpening them??

Choosing to sharpen and having to sharpen can be two very different events. My Japanese stay sharp at least as long as my Two Cherries or older types, such as Witherby, Swan, etc.

Besides, what else is there to do at a show when between audiences?

Pam

Pam Niedermayer
03-19-2005, 8:58 PM
Why do you not use them?? are the very good j .chisels you have so much better? or maybe because now you have the j. chisels purchased specially for a function?

thanks for any feedback.

I don't really know, I just seem to go to the Two Cherries instead. Perhaps it's because the ones I haven't used still have loose hoops and the edges need sharpening. Or maybe because there are 12 of them from which I have to choose, whereas the 2C are only 6. Or ...

For sure I always use a speciality chisel when possible, as they are superior chisels.

Pam

Dennis McDonaugh
03-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Choosing to sharpen and having to sharpen can be two very different events. My Japanese stay sharp at least as long as my Two Cherries or older types, such as Witherby, Swan, etc.

Besides, what else is there to do at a show when between audiences?

Pam

Pam, I always heard the Japanese chisels stay sharp a lot longer than western chisels. I never got to find out because I kept chipping the edges on the one I bought to try. Are you saying they only stay as sharp as your two cherries?

Stephen Dalfollo-Daley
03-19-2005, 11:10 PM
thanks to all for the discussion and comments....it really does help to understand chisels...i really think they are so central to a woodshop...

I shudder when i think about being a WW without the internet...

Pam Niedermayer
03-21-2005, 1:29 AM
Pam, ... Are you saying they only stay as sharp as your two cherries?

No, not at all. I'm saying I don't have any reason to sharpen them all that often. Since chisels are used for different purposes, some rougher than others, it's hard to compare them. How do you compare a mortising chisel to a paring, which generally need to be sharper? How do you compare use in walnut, jatoba, teak, mahogany, cherry, and/or PO cedar? The answer is you don't with any precision without undertaking long, serious studies. I haven't done any such studies, nor do I plan to.

Pam

Steven Wilson
03-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I have a couple of Mokume-Shiage-Oire bench chisels by Akio Tasai and they are very fine, and exquisite chisel. Are they “worth” the money? Probably. Do you need them or are they that much better than others? No, they do have a very high coolness factor though. Tasai’s other chisels are very fine too and are much more cost effective as a normal everyday bench chisel, they’re also roughly half the cost. I have the LN chisels and Two Cherries and I find that these are very sufficient bench chisels for the tasks that I normally have a bench chisel perform. The Japanese chisels that I like are mainly push chisels used for fine work such as paring or cleaning dovetails, tasks that bench chisels are rather ungainly at. These specialty chisels come in a range of qualities and prices and are a very useful addition to your chisel arsenal.

Stephen Dalfollo-Daley
03-21-2005, 6:11 PM
I think that I will be getting a set of Japanese chisels eventually...if for no other reason than I am collecting some tools for the kids...yeah, it is for the children!

There is just no way that I can get i high end set, but I do not want to spend money on the marples/FatMax of the Japanese chisel world....The $129/10 chisels from Grizzly are out....www.craftsmanstudio.com has a cheaper Japanese Chisel as well for $179 for 10 (same seems to be availble from www.japanwoodworker.com )...I suspect they are all the same as the grizzlys...i asked about them (to craftsmanstudios) and found they don't have a maker...they are listed as hand forged, yet i was told they are made in a factory...so they are handforged in a factory (explain that to me)…..

So i can see i need to spend more...I want to get a middle of the road set...so i am thinking the price range for 10 ought to be around $300-$400…there are some in the $400-$500 range for 10 that are listed as well

Here is what I have found:

No Name Bench Chisels $129-179/per set of 10
www.grizzly.com - The $129/10 chisels from Grizzly are out....
www.craftsmanstudio.com has a cheaper Japanese Chisel as well for $179 for 10 (same seems to be availble from www.japanwoodworker.com )...I suspect they are all the same as the grizzlys...i asked about them (to craftsmanstudios) and found they don't have a maker...they are listed as hand forged, yet i was told they are made in a factory...so they are handforged in a factory (explain that to me)…..
www.japanwoodworker.com - also has a set of no name for ~$172 (that includes the 10% discount if you buy all 10 that are available)..shiney steel hoops probably the same as the craftsmanstudio's no name set....and suspiciously like the grizzly $129 set....
Could any of these no name chisels be Kumagoro or Iyoroi in disguise…maybe….I would like to know the factory name

Kumagoro Bench Chisels $260-340/set of 10
www.toolsforworkingwood.com see above...comes with hoops already set about $340 for set of 12…according to the www.toolsforworkingwood.com website these are made by Iyoroi, but don't carry the Iyoroi mark...are these just overpriced "handforged in a factory" chisel, I would like to know…wrought/black handforged hoop...also carried by those below
www.highlandhardware.com - also has the kumagora bench chisels
www.leevalley.com - I believe that these chisels are Kumagoro chisels…5 for $139…preseated wrought iron hoops…they look the same as Kumagoro seen elsewhere…1.5mm-42mm…$24.50-41 per chisel
www.woodcraft.com - I believe that these chisels are also Kumagoro chisels in desguise…pre-seated hoops (although these are shinely, not black/wrough hoops) (description: Japanese Bench Chisels. Made of durable white (high carbon) steel laminated onto a softer steel back for added strength, these bench chisels sharpen easily and hold an edge longer than Western chisels. Made in the same manner they have been for centuries, Japanese chisels are individually tempered to Rc 62-64 by a master craftsman. Each chisel is sharpened to a razor edge, ready to use and fitted with a hand-forged, hooped Japanese Red Oak handle. Handle ends are pre-peened over the hoop and ready to use. Chisels measure 9" long with a 2-1/4" blade length. The 4 piece set includes 6, 12, 18 & 24mm chisels, the 10 piece set includes 3-36mm)

Iyoroi Bench chisels $320-350/set of 12
www.toolsforworkingwood.com - about $320 for a set of 12 (out of stock for 2 months; but the price will be rising when they arrive because of steels costs and exchange rates)....Iyoroi also makes the Komogoro (Ice Bear) chisels that run about $330 (with hoops already set)...black handforged hoop on both Iyoroi and Komogoro
www.garretwade.com also caries Iyoroi and say these chisels are: "Made by a family of master blacksmiths in Miki, Japan"...GW has them in stock for $350 for set of 12)
www.highlandhardware.com also carries Iyoroi)

Hida Bench Chisels $368/set of 10
www.hidatool.com lowest cost bench chisels on the Hida site...no info, no description $368 for 10 chisels from 3mm-42mm, blue/white steel unknown...I have an email to Hida for more info…could these be overpriced Iyoroi/Kumagora?...or…EEEK over-priced No Name chisels from the top of the list??? they do have a shinely hoop, and look very similar

Special Alloyed Laminated Steel Carpenters' Chisels $350/set of 10
www.toolsforworkingwood.com - steel a little different 10 for $350...no 1.5mm

Iyoroi Blue Steel Umeki-Oire Nomi Cabinet Makers' Chisels $480/set of 10
www.toolsfoworkingwood.com - pricing inline with the Matsumoros...6 for $270; 10 for $480...Blue steel instead of White steel...multiple hollows after 9mm…seem to be a nicer chisel…maybe individually made

Matsumora Bench Chisels (Blue or White Steel) $556/set of 12
www.craftsmanstudio.com - these seem to be the real deal...handmade...good ratings from FWW about $400 for a set of 10 from 1.5mm-30mm...another $150 for the largest sizes (36mm, 56mm 1.5" & 2") ($565 for a set of 12 not including the 4.5mm one available)...White Steel...multiple hollows are unknown, but possible
Site Description: Blue Steel: Bench Chisels - Hand made of Blue Steel forge welded to wrought iron and hardened to Rockwell c64 by Master of Blacksmiths Matsumura. Furnished with a best quality hand turned Akagashi (Japanese Red Oak) handle and fitted with a hand-forged iron hoop. Overall length: 9 inches. Blade length: 2-1/4 inches.
These Matsumura chisels were ranked Number 2 out of 16 chisels reviewed in Fine Woodworking Issue 139 for toughness (edge holding ability) Set of 4: $180; set of 6: $276
Site Description: White Steel: Bench Chisels - Hand made of Japanese White Steel forge welded to wrought iron and hardened to Rockwell c64 by Master of Blacksmiths Matsumura. Furnished with a best quality hand turned Akagashi (Japanese Red Oak) handle and fitted with a hand-forged iron hoop. Overall length: 9 in. Blade length: 2-1/4 in. These Matsumura chisels were ranked Number 1 out of 16 chisels reviewed in Fine Woodworking Issue 139 for toughness (edge holding ability).Save 10% off regular prices on 4 and 6 piece sets. Discounts are taken in the shopping cart. Set of 4: $150 Set of 6: $236
www.theJapanwoodworker.com) - also has the matsumora chisels in both blue or white steel...the white being rated #1 by FWW, the blue being "top rated by Fine Woodworking Magazine, calling it "well balanced and a pleasure to use." "...White Steel Matsumora - $31-79 per chisel …...Blue Steel Matsumora - made one at a time by master blacksmith..$36-$85 per chisel
http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Woodcarvingtools/japan1.htm - also available here in blue and white steel…White:$ 26-69/chisel Blue: $36-75..pricing seem better than that above, but the cart may be tied to japanwoodworker
https://smithandspeed.com/index.php - they indicate the larger blue steel chisels are single hollow
Matsumora Comment froma forum: I haven't taken the goop off yet, but let me tell you, they ooze quality. They are VERY heavy duty. Interestingly, and pleasantly, the handles are different diameters. Narrow for narrower chisels, wider for wider.

Overall questions….
So some questions I have...when is a chisel made by a master blacksmith sitting alone in his shop...or made by a master blacksmith in a factory???? piecing together info on Iyoroi seems to indicate that he makes some of his chisels by hand, and some may be made by 'his factory'....in fact he seems to make chisels for Kumagoro as well….at that price I don't think they are 'individually made'

I can fully understand not going over board on getting a full set, when all sizes may not be needed or used...especially if one ends up, with one of the apparently higher quality chisel in the 400-600 range…a good set of 1/8" to 1" should do quite well…I can also see the possibility of keeping to LN/750/Two Cherries for most bench work, and get a set of japanese paring chisels

It is a strange situation where the only info one can typically glean on the makers is what gets written up by the folks selling the tools...kind of like only listening to what George W. has to say about the SS issue...why can I not find anything on Iyoroi or Kumagoro other than from the sellers?...why do some say the blade is hand forged to give the impression of a blacksmith in dark room with anvil, when in actuality it is 'hand forged' in a factory?

BTW...I pray for the day when I will be dropping a high end Japanese chisel from a scaffold.....that will just not happen…(Step 1: Leave my day job….)

reviews on the Grizzly chisels i have seen...some like them...others say they are a joke and an affront to japanese chisels in general...one even said that there is no maker on them because no maker would have their name on the chisel...it was fun reading…I suspect the same can be said of the no name chisels for www.japanwoodworker.com, and www.craftsmanstudio.com

All sellers need to do a better job of web design to start off with, a better job of identifying true one by one makers vs. factory chisels, and do a better job of providing info on the chisels….also some of the pictures available just don't show enough detail….for example I can't find a picture of the backside of a matsumoro chisel…and no one will say if they have multiple hollows or not…

I will pull this info together in the woodworking spreadsheet compilation so that someone may be able to make some kind of comparison….HTH

Pam Niedermayer
03-21-2005, 7:16 PM
All sellers need to do a better job of web design to start off with, a better job of identifying true one by one makers vs. factory chisels, and do a better job of providing info on the chisels….also some of the pictures available just don't show enough detail….for example I can't find a picture of the backside of a matsumoro chisel…and no one will say if they have multiple hollows or not…

I suggest that you spend some serious time on the Hiraide site (japanesetools.com). Then give Harrelson a call for his excellent, expert advice.

One of the reasons I bought the Woodcraft set of bench chisels was I got tired of the same search you're going through; so I finally put my foot down, bought the best set I could see and hold in Austin. This wasn't a great mistake, but certainly a mistake. If I'd know about Harrelson then, I'd have save a lot of time and perhaps some money, although that's debatable.

Pam

Stephen Dalfollo-Daley
03-22-2005, 2:37 AM
Pam,

Once again good advice...i understand that he has a loan program to get a feel for the chisels befor purchase...how they feel in the hand a big part of why i like these chisels, and will likely be a big part of which chisels or set i end up getting...

Ed Hardin
03-22-2005, 10:03 AM
I suggest that you spend some serious time on the Hiraide site (japanesetools.com). Then give Harrelson a call for his excellent, expert advice.

One of the reasons I bought the Woodcraft set of bench chisels was I got tired of the same search you're going through; so I finally put my foot down, bought the best set I could see and hold in Austin. This wasn't a great mistake, but certainly a mistake. If I'd know about Harrelson then, I'd have save a lot of time and perhaps some money, although that's debatable.

Pam

As luck would have it, about a month ago Harrelson gave a demonstration at Woodcraft in Mobile on sharpening. He lived and worked in Japan for some 20 years and really does know his stuff. I found him to be a really down to earth nice guy. That being said, I still like my Pfeil chisels from Woodcraft a lot. They may not be top of the line (or maybe they ain't very far off) but they sure get the job done for me.

Pam Niedermayer
03-22-2005, 3:11 PM
Pam,

Once again good advice...i understand that he has a loan program to get a feel for the chisels befor purchase...how they feel in the hand a big part of why i like these chisels, and will likely be a big part of which chisels or set i end up getting...

I don't know if he still does this, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Pam

Pam Niedermayer
03-22-2005, 3:15 PM
... That being said, I still like my Pfeil chisels from Woodcraft a lot. They may not be top of the line (or maybe they ain't very far off) but they sure get the job done for me.

I really like my Pfeil carving chisels.

Pam

Archer Yates
05-05-2017, 11:51 AM
fast forward 12 years. I had several of the IYORI Cabinet Maker's Chisels HITACHI Blue Steel, but sold them when I had to sell out my shop to move to Colorado. These were used as a bargaining chip to get someone to buy other stuff. They were excellent for dovetail work and other fine work. They could get into tight corners. The iron rings were a pain sometimes because they seem to work loose. As an aside, I have now repurchased my shop in Colorado, I bought a set of Lie Nielsen chisels, thick beefy blades sockets that sometimes come loose in the dry climate of Colorado, and don't do so well doing half blind dovetails. I bought a set of Stanley chisels made in Mexico, feel sharp but don't cost so well. For paring and mortise work my Robert Sorby mortise chisels are my favorite . I broke on of my Robert Sorby mortise Chisels. I had been using it for 20 years, they replaced it in one week and paid the shipping.
I just found some new old stock and bought a set of IYORI Cabinet Maker's Chisels HITACHI Blue Steel for dovetail work.

Joe Williams
05-06-2017, 2:56 PM
Try the Blue Spruce Dovetails, they have the same concept of a triangle back but at a much longer sweep.. like the entire chisel. They work really well and I think they are probably around 125 each. I bought mine in a set so it was I think 1100 for 10 of them.