PDA

View Full Version : my <$30 shop air filter

Joseph Tarantino
02-07-2012, 2:27 PM
so here's the filter i threw together for under $30 ( after just missing a JDS airtech 750er for $75 http://www.bt3central.com/images/smilies/mad.gif ). a few questions for air filter users: high fan speed or low fan speed? activation while in the shop or activation at end of day after all operations are completed? for anybody contemplating a similar set up, rather than duck taping the filter to the fan, build a frame from 1" drywall J channel making one side removable for filiter changes. as the fiilter was smaller than the opening in the fan frame, i used 1/4" plywood to make a frame that is attached to the fan. the 1" drywall j channel is then mounted to the plywood. not optimal but better than nothing. BTW, 1" drywall j channel isn't readily available, so vinyl siding j channel would be a good alternaive.

keith micinski
02-07-2012, 2:39 PM
I Love this idea. good job.

carl zietz
02-07-2012, 2:52 PM
I have mine run while I am generating dust, then set the timer for 30 - 45 min to collect fine particle floating after I finish. speed depends on size of shop and amount of dust. faster speed may catch what would otherwise settle out.

Thomas Canfield
02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Do you hang from ceiling? I had made one similar without timer before getting a "store bought" unit and found that the air I breath is higher up, and if it settles to the floor, then it is a sweep and vacuum job.