PDA

View Full Version : Black and Yellow make Green.

Bob Bergstrom
02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
On these two crotches I dyed them them both black with Transtint, sanded it back and followed it with Transtint Yellow. The result was a really nice green and yellow combination with dark shadows. Both are finished with lacquer and are about 6 to 7" across.

Jim Burr
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
The rim treatment is what's drawing me in Bob...the dye really brings out the figure, not sure about the color combination, but the bowl itself is sharp!

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm with Jim on all counts, though the color might look better in person.

Chip Sutherland
02-07-2012, 1:16 PM
Nice color. I learned this the hardway. I wasn't trying for green at all but that's exactly what I got with this combination. Your's looks better than mine.

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-07-2012, 4:51 PM
I love the colour! The shape and figure in the bowl are really eye catching, but the colour wins for me!

John Keeton
02-07-2012, 5:07 PM
Bob, I did an experiment one time, and posted a thread on it as I recall, related to the blue contained in nearly all the various black dyes. Some are more "black" than others, but nearly all of them have a considerable blue cast. That will also effect a red dye over black.
The rim treatment is what's drawing me in Bob...the dye really brings out the figure, not sure about the color combination, but the bowl itself is sharp!I agree on all counts - a bit vivid for me on top of not being a lover of green (except on paper with portraits of Presidents!!!:D)

Alan Trout
02-07-2012, 7:31 PM
Bob,

I like it, but I like vivid colors.

Alan

Bob Bergstrom
02-07-2012, 7:55 PM
I still remember first seeing your beautiful blue piece at St. Paul. The color was so vidid and rich.

Bob,

I like it, but I like vivid colors.

Alan
Bob, I did an experiment one time, and posted a thread on it as I recall, related to the blue contained in nearly all the various black dyes. Some are more "black" than others, but nearly all of them have a considerable blue cast. That will also effect a red dye over black.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Jim Burr http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1868637#post1868637)
The rim treatment is what's drawing me in Bob...the dye really brings out the figure, not sure about the color combination, but the bowl itself is sharp!

I agree on all counts - a bit vivid for me on top of not being a lover of green (except on paper with portraits of Presidents!!!:D)
John In person the color are a little more subtile. I think I got it a little too hot in the photo tent. I do "turn green" with envy when I see the beautiful creations that you post.

David E Keller
02-07-2012, 8:11 PM
I found this out last year when I turned a box for Beads of Courage... Given that the box would be a gift for a child, I sort of liked the vivid coloring. It's a neat little bowl from a nice piece of wood as well!

Bob Bergstrom
02-07-2012, 9:03 PM
The second on actually started as a 14" rough out. It had a 1 1/2" crack in the rim and a 6" split in the long grain along the side. By the time I turned the cracked i only had the pretty little crotch left and about 1 1/2 inches of thickness. Oh well a little bit of pretty is better than nothing.

Baxter Smith
02-07-2012, 9:33 PM
A very different green but it sure brings out the figure. Quite a striking couple of pieces!

Alan Trout
02-07-2012, 9:38 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the compliments on my piece, Talking with Molly Winton she uses black leather die for her black pieces as she says it is really black. Not sure which leather die she uses but if I remember correctly I think she gets it from Tandy.

Alan

Donny Lawson
02-07-2012, 9:41 PM
Great looking piece. I really like the color contrast.

Rick Markham
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Bob, I did an experiment one time, and posted a thread on it as I recall, related to the blue contained in nearly all the various black dyes. Some are more "black" than others, but nearly all of them have a considerable blue cast. That will also effect a red dye over black.I agree on all counts - a bit vivid for me on top of not being a lover of green (except on paper with portraits of Presidents!!!:D)

John, that's interesting. If you know there is a considerable blue cast in the black dye then you can actually add the complimentary color (in this case Orange) and neutralize the blue cast (it will cause the blue to turn a greyish color. I would think if you did this with orange transtint with your black dye before putting it on the piece, (and you get it just right ) then you should be able to add the yellow without getting the green effect. It might take a bit of experimenting, but your black color would be a true black ;)

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice bowls Bob! Whether folks like the colors or not - they are sure to draw everyone's attention - and that's when they'll see the grain and your detail work!

John Keeton
02-08-2012, 6:32 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the compliments on my piece, Talking with Molly Winton she uses black leather die for her black pieces as she says it is really black. Not sure which leather die she uses but if I remember correctly I think she gets it from Tandy.

AlanFiebings leather dye (you can order direct from them, too) is probably the one Molly uses, and it is my "go to" black - though even it does have a touch of blue tint, but much better than most. I have not tried the Procion MX black yet, and I need to test it to see how it looks.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2012, 6:57 PM
That is a nice bowl. Love how the color draws out the crotch figure.

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2012, 7:16 PM
Have to agree that this is a great looking bowl irrespective of how one feels about the color. My experience with dyes is that anything with yellow makes green...

James Roberts
02-08-2012, 7:31 PM
I've followed this forum for a while and I truly enjoy the different "experiments" in various dyes and stains. While I love the natural color of wood and the way grain and figure can pop using different finishes, it always amazes me the way dyes do much the same thing but in so many varied and vivid colors. I don't believe I have seen one posted where I did not find something to like or just enjoyed outright and this is no exception. Great form and color, love the rim, keep them coming!