PDA

View Full Version : Honduras Mahogany with like sheet good question?

Craig D Peltier
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Im going to build a buffet for myself. I have a bunch of Honduras Mahogany I would like to use for face frame, legs and draw and door pieces. Might I be best in mixing in a sheet good of Sapele or khaya for a closer match or is it a bad idea all together?
I know sapele has the ribbons but you can find it without and or use the B side. I know African varies in color a lot as well.
Has anyone mixed species and seen the out come after time?

Thanks

David Kumm
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I've mixed african and honduran in solid wood but if were making furnture I would resaw my own veneer and use the same boards to face the ply and the solid pieces. Will look better due to the thickness as ply veneer seems to always look enough different to be noticed. Dave

Andrew Joiner
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
My experience has been this. Even veneered sheet goods of the same species color and grain as the solid don't quite match after finishing . The thinner the veneer the more this is detectable. This is with a "natural" finish (oil or varnish).

If you stain, glaze , dye or mask the natural color you can blend solids with veneer or even different species. I'm assuming that's not look you want.

alex grams
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
can you veneer? order some Hond. Mahogany veneer and make it all to match.

Jeff Duncan
02-07-2012, 1:20 PM
can you veneer? order some Hond. Mahogany veneer and make it all to match.

That's your answer! No sense in buying something in a different species and trying to match, order the veneer in the right species and your good to go!

JeffD

Jamie Buxton
02-07-2012, 1:36 PM
I once built an entertainment center with Honduras Mahogany for the lumber, and African Mahogany for the plywood. (In my dealers, mahogany plywood means African, and that's all there is to it.) I put a clear finish on it. The difference between the two species was initially quite big. I gave it a good sun tan, and they got closer together, but still didn't match. I wouldn't do that again. Maybe, if you're putting a stain on it, but not with a clear finish.

Craig D Peltier
02-07-2012, 2:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess if I could find hondo veneer in a backed veneer Im comfortable with it. Only sides will be visible ply so I could just build those out of hardwood.
Thanks again

Jeff Duncan
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
If you don't have a good supplier close to you search online. It's easy to find stuff these days, and veneer is easy to ship. Most of the veneer I get is shipped in these days.

good luck,
JeffD