PDA

View Full Version : How to remove drawer front from apron

Matt Roth
02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm making a pretty basic table, using a wide apron connected to the legs with m/t joints. The front apron will have 2 drawers, centered on the apron. In order to match the grain, I'd like to use the cutout from the apron for the drawer fronts. How would you go about cutting the opening without drilling a large hole, rendering the cutout useless? I thought about making 2 rip cuts on the apron, then cross cutting the drawer fronts, and regluing the remainder, similar to a face frame. Any better ideas?

Steve Wurster
02-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I think the rip and re-glue method you mention is typically used.

Chris Rosenberger
02-07-2012, 12:59 PM
As Steve said, rip & re-glue. Depending on the kind of wood you use, you may see the glue line.

Another option I just thought of as I was typing this, that is to use a Multimaster type tool. I have made lots of plunge cuts with mine. Make a template of your opening & cut around it.

Mark Rakestraw
02-07-2012, 1:55 PM
Another vote for rip and reglue. Probably not necessary unless the grain is really wild but if you put a thin kerf 7.25" blade in your saw and you'll be even less likely to notice the grain mismatch from the missing wood.

Bill White
02-07-2012, 2:04 PM
Me too. If you use a good glue line rip blade.
Bill

Jason Roehl
02-07-2012, 2:48 PM
Simple--plunge cut with your bandsaw. :D

Matt Roth
02-07-2012, 2:49 PM
Rip and reglue it is. It's walnut with a nice grain pattern, but nothing fancy. I have a 3/16" kerf blade that should do the trick. Thanks all!

Matt Roth
02-07-2012, 2:53 PM
Simple--plunge cut with your bandsaw. :D

Thanks, Jason. I must have missed the demo at the last woodworking show for the attachment that would do just that. :)

Jerome Hanby
02-07-2012, 2:54 PM
If you had a tiny straight router bit, you could put together a template and rout the drawer front loose. If it was an 1/8" bit, then that would be the reveal, is that too much?

Stephen Cherry
02-08-2012, 2:04 PM
If you had a tiny straight router bit, you could put together a template and rout the drawer front loose. If it was an 1/8" bit, then that would be the reveal, is that too much?

or, if there is bead that goes around the opening, that can be factored into the gap distance. I've seen old furniture where the bead is on the drawer, and some where it is in the opening. This could be cut with a scroll saw, or a small router bit. Whiteside has a 1/8 spiral upcut, or pricisebits.com makes long, 1/8 inch cutters that would be long enough.