PDA

View Full Version : FOr ED MORGANO & ALL

Michelle Rich
02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Many years ago i saw Han's work & he was mum about how he achieved these many axis turnings. So I studied it awhile and came up with this jig. Remember this is dangerous with the spinning nuts & bolts. You will also need PATIENCE & very calm hands. do this at your own risk.222949

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Michelle,

A suggestion... find some of that pool noodle foam at the local $1 store (or pipe insulation at your local Borg) and slide it over the bolts. It will still likely hurt like a mother if you get snagged, but the foam will be easier to see the whirring edge and is less likely to take away major chunks of flesh should you make contact.

Chip Sutherland
02-07-2012, 1:11 PM
That looks like a classic donut chuck. I invested in multple sizes or threaded rods and I orient them so that the excess is towards the head stock and there is minimal amount sticking out. Thanks for the pool noodle idea although I'm thinking about using the foam as the seat for some spheres...so the pool noodle I'm thinking about has a hole in the middle already. Also I can slice the noodle into varios thicknesses.....something to noddle on.:D

Ronald Smythe
02-07-2012, 2:20 PM
why not drill holes part way through the plywood so you can recess the head/washer on the side toward the end user? Another possibility would be to use carriage bolts instead of all thread, provided you can get them long enough. I have 6" ones, or so, on my donut chuck and they work fine without the added fear factor.

Michelle Rich
02-07-2012, 2:23 PM
It's just a picture..when you use it the sharp ends aren't sitting out. You need much more than 6" to do what this does. Apparantly you do not understand what this is.You would have to read earlier post to understand.

Bill Wyko
02-07-2012, 2:38 PM
Very cool device I must say. Thanks for posting it. Building one of these will definitely be on my to do list. Thanks Michelle:)

Mike Golka
02-07-2012, 2:39 PM
I have a similar donut chuck that i inserted Tnuts into so that various length rods can be used depending on the size of object being held.

Michelle Rich
02-07-2012, 3:38 PM
you are welcome Bill. thank you for saying thanks. since not one person knew how to make mr. W's pieces & i gave my hard work free of charge, I appreciate your thank you.

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 4:41 PM
Some of us (or at least me) don't know who you're talking about, so we (I?) can't say what his pieces look like, how he might do them, or what a donut chuck might do to help recreate his style.

Michelle Rich
02-07-2012, 4:48 PM
yes, I know Dan..one must go back to Ed Morgano's post earlier today. It's not a donut chuck..if it were, everyone would have figured out how to recreate han's pieces. I designed it ten yrs ago so i could recreate his pieces. He never let on & I was on my own as to how to do it & I succeded. I decided to share it with Ed M as in his post everyone was stumped as to how to create Han's pieces.

Ed Morgano
02-07-2012, 5:19 PM
I have to chime in here. THANK YOU Michelle! I appreciate your help on this. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm going to try these, but it is definitely on my list and your help and sharing is appreciated.

Ronald Smythe
02-07-2012, 6:39 PM
It's just a picture..when you use it the sharp ends aren't sitting out. You need much more than 6" to do what this does. Apparantly you do not understand what this is.You would have to read earlier post to understand.

and responses like this are why I just read and don't comment...instead of explaining what it was you chose to belittle me....thanks for that....I'll go back to "stealing ideas" as someone posted a few weeks ago

John Keeton
02-07-2012, 7:42 PM
Ronald, actually Michelle went out of her way to share information that is valuable to those interested. She was merely referring you to the prior thread for an understanding of what this fixture/jig does. I certainly did not feel she belittled you and I have not found that to be her nature. Perhaps you simply did not interpret her comments as others do.

Marty Eargle
02-07-2012, 7:47 PM
I'm not usually one to chime in that threads that start steering in the direction that this one probably will, but I popped into this thread knowing the information it was going to give me, as I followed the one prior, and found a bit of abrasiveness that is not typical to this forum. I can understand how Ronald interpreted comments the way that he did.

I'm thankful for every bit of useful information this site offers, but I'm not going to try and dig it out of people. No offense meant to anyone...I have no dog in any fight...but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 8:08 PM
yes, I know Dan..one must go back to Ed Morgano's post earlier today.
Well, until I read this post, I had no idea someone named Ed Morgano was a member here (I don't quite pay attention to names, more thread titles)... I'll go in search of that thread now. I still have no idea who Han is, so I'm hoping that thread (if/when I find it) will explain it in more detail.

Cheryl A. Prince
02-07-2012, 8:14 PM
Thanks Michelle for sharing the picture of the jig you use. While I can't imagine turning anything as complicated as what you and Hans have turned, I am terribly curious about "how" things are done on the lathe. This jig answers some questions.

Steve Vaughan
02-07-2012, 10:07 PM
When I grow up, I'm gonna make one of these circle thingys! I mean it. Just gotta wrap my mind around it all and well, I guess I need to make the jig first too. I saw that other post too, and it's just got that crazy wow factor. Thank Michelle for the encouragement.

Jim Underwood
02-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering, Michelle is referring to this earlier thread, in which Ed Morgano posted a facebook link to some of Hans Weisflogg's lattice work bowls:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181181-I-found-these-on-facebook

Michelle don't you use a router for some of your work? I was under the impression that Hans work was strictly turned...

An amusing side-note... I've been learning to use Google's Sketchup (3D drawing program) for the past several days, and when I saw the picture of your multi-axis chuck, I reflexively held down the scroll wheel to try rotating the picture to see what was on the face of the left-hand piece... That's the way you navigate in Sketchup... Had to stop myself.:rolleyes:

So, Michelle, where does the chuck fasten to this fine contraption?

This is the tutorial thread, and it may answer my questions:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164346-a-tutorial-on-a-5-centered-negative-space-design&highlight=tutorial

Dwight McNutt
02-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks Michelle, even though I will never approach your talent level and be able to do one of these, one day I hope to just understand how its done. I do appreciate the giving of your secrets to everyone, maybe one day.

Thanks Dwight

Michelle Rich
02-08-2012, 3:21 AM
Thanks JW for the link to the tutorial..I had no clue as to how to drag that up . han's work is lathe only work. So when I recreate his work, i do it as he does. If you really study it, all his designs are circles, on many centers. if you look at some of mine, they are circles, but stopped or some other nonsense.( turning for gearheads...or broken circles within circles) Or others of mine which are reversing volutes, or other concepts. I took what I learned from mr W's pieces and took it way beyond what he has made.

Michelle Rich
02-08-2012, 3:55 AM
Ronald..no one was belittling you. I was sharing something I figured out & you did not understand what it was. I told you to go to an earlier post, so you would understand. that's all

Dan Hintz
02-08-2012, 6:35 AM
Thanks, Jim... I searched on Ed's name and found the thread (I had skipped over it earlier). In typical OCD fashion, I kept digging through more searches looking for videos, tutorials, etc. I ended up ordering a 6-DVD set for $40 that includes a segment on Han and how he accomplishes his work. Should prove interesting late-night viewing.

Steve Mawson
02-08-2012, 1:44 PM
Dan,
Want to share the DVD. Should prove quite interesting. I have to see these things being to dense to understand from an explanation. Thanks also to Michelle, this stuff is really interesting.

Dan Hintz
02-08-2012, 7:57 PM
Dan,
Want to share the DVD. Should prove quite interesting. I have to see these things being to dense to understand from an explanation. Thanks also to Michelle, this stuff is really interesting.
:o Sorry, should have included that little nugget of info...

Beyond Wood - Portrait of an Artist - The Fine Art of Turned and Sculpted Wood
$43 shipped from Amazon.