PDA

View Full Version : Another Creeker visit

Dan Forman
02-07-2012, 4:51 AM
I had the pleasure of having John Altberg stop by this evening. We met through our local turning club, of which he is Treasurer. The plan was to grind a Skwaper, but before doing that to a perfectly good scraper, he wanted to see one in action. That meant having to finish turn a bowl from the drying rack to use for a demo, so I picked a small one so that it wouldn't take too much time, and got to work. Of course we were yaking about this and that, and engaging in the obligatory show and tell. When we got to the angle grinder high speed sander, he wanted to see that in action too.

Well, it took about twice as long as it should have to finish the bowl, because I couldn't find anything that I needed, and had to do a lot of looking about for things. I usually take the time to get sort of organized before I start a project, but I didn't have time to prepare, and everything was scattered hither and yon in the course of completing the funnel this afternoon (that's another post to come).

Anyway, by time the little bowl was turned and sanded, John had decided that he did indeed want to skwaperize one of his scrapers, but he was running out of steam, being a lark and not an owl like yours truly. So he will do the grinding at home, we measured the bevel angle at about 37* - nothing magical or scientific about that, it just looked about right when I was making it.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics, but John took one with his cell phone of the sander in action (well almost in action) and I'm sure he will post it tomorrow when he sees this. With him getting tired, I didn't want to go through getting out the camera and tripod and all of that.

I did get one pic of the bowl after John left, it has one coat of Antique Oil at present. Black Locust burl, 5" X 1 3/4".

Dan

John Keeton
02-07-2012, 6:28 AM
Dan, sounds like you guys had a great time, and the little bowl is excellent - really some striking wood and I would not have expected that from the black locust. I am guessing it was hard as concrete to finish out!

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2012, 8:08 AM
Sounds like you two were busy!! I like the bowl! Great looking wood and the form has a 'soft' appeal!

Mike Cruz
02-07-2012, 8:18 AM
Dan, John looks a lot like a bowl... Glad you guys had a great time.

John Altberg
02-07-2012, 2:32 PM
Dan was kind enough to host me on short notice last night, so he is to be forgiven for "not being organized" - besides it made me feel right at home! Dan's Skwaper works as advertised and so does his new sanding process courtesy of Bill Neddow. High speed sanding flies in the face of everything one hears and reads, but seeing is believing! The little bowl that he finished last night is quite nice.

John

Mike Cruz
02-07-2012, 3:00 PM
John, while the pic isn't of the two of you together, that'll suffice. :D Thanks. Again, glad you two enjoyed your time together.