PDA

View Full Version : Good Lumber Source in Central Illinois.

Steven Green
02-07-2012, 2:23 AM
My closest full service yard that carries rough lumber is a hike from our place. Doug White in Marissa Illinois. Can't complain about his stock or his service but half a day down and back when I have to get something done for a customer or more to the point Loml really takes a bite out of the day. Does anybody have a source in west central Illinois or at least closer than the 1 and a half one way to get to Doug's? Any help in this arena would be appreciated. I live in Litchfield Ill which is pretty much half way between springfield and St Louis on 55. thanks guys

Dave Novak
02-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Hello Steven, I live in Springfield and certainly feel your pain with respect to finding lumber. I hadn't even heard of White's place in Marissa until your post. I've been using Pekin Hardwood Lumber, St. Charles Hardwood Lumber and most recently this place:

U-PICK HARDWOOD LUMBER
80 TRIAD SOUTH DRIVE
ST. PETERS, MO. 63304
636-485-5217

None ot these are much if any closer to you, but this U-Pick place might be worth a visit. I've found them to have a decent selection (relatively anyway), and although they're slightly higher than everyone else, their lumber is surfaced better and seems to have been milled to have fewer checks and other problems. So on the surface it seems your paying more but there's quite a bit less waste. I've only been there twice, hopefully it wasn't a fluke. They advertise quite a bit on Craigslist, particularly when they score something unique (highly figured, etc.). Might be worth a trip someday, but call first.

Kirk Poore
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Jon Becker, southwest of Staunton and north of Holiday Shores, has a Woodmizer mill and has a fair amount of stock, air dried, on hand. He will also cut to order. His contact info is on this page: http://www.edwardsvillewoodworkers.org/links.html

Kirk