PDA

View Full Version : Easy to use CAD program?

Stephen Cherry
02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion for an easy to use CAD program? At one time I used autosketch (I think), but it was many years ago. Something cheap, easy, and capable enough to produce some drawings for templates, etc?

PS- I tried to search, but CAD is too short!

ray hampton
02-06-2012, 11:38 PM
instead of using CAD, why not use the whole word for C. A. D.

Jamie Buxton
02-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Deltacad is what I use for shop drawings. It works well. $40 or so. PC and Mac versions. www.deltacad.com

Bruce Page
02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
instead of using CAD, why not use the whole word for C. A. D.

LOL! That will get you there.
There are lots of packages available, from free to expensive. I have always used AutoCAD for 2D work.

Tony Joyce
02-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Take a look at VisualCADD. http://www.tritools.com/v6_demo.htm

David Malicky
02-07-2012, 2:43 AM
ProgeCAD and Draftsight are great and free Autocad clones.
http://download.cnet.com/progeCAD-2009-Smart/3000-6677_4-10777485.html?tag=mncol;2
http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 5:53 AM
See my signature...

Charles Lent
02-07-2012, 8:07 AM
You should investigate Sketchup. It's a 3D design program that's available for download FREE from Google. There are many tutorials available for it and within a couple of hours you will become quite proficient with it, mostly because it's so intuitive. I have tried many, but none were as easy to learn and use as Sketchup.

Charley

Jerome Hanby
02-07-2012, 8:34 AM
+1 on Sketchup. I won't say it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it is relatively easy to use, it's free, and there are a ton of woodworkers that use it so examples and help are all over the place.

johnny means
02-07-2012, 8:40 AM
+1 on Google Sketchup. I bought and tried many before finding Sketchup. It definitely was the most intuitive, while still being highly capable. Did I mention that it's free? No risk in trying.

Mike Goetzke
02-07-2012, 8:42 AM
For 2-d drawings I too use DeltaCad. Bought it on a group buy here a few years back. If you don't make drawings all the time this is the program for you - very simple and intutitive. One feature I really like is it's ability to print full size (or scaled).

Mike

Dan Valleskey
02-07-2012, 8:45 AM
Sketchup was fun, but I didn't spend enough time on it to get good. For shop stuff, I usually just need a 2D thing. Dassault Systèmes has released a free 2-D version of their excellent software, called DraftSight. It was easy for me to catch on to, but I have a lot of background with CAD, I used Pro-E for 10 years, ComputerVision before that.

-Dan V.

Carl Beckett
02-07-2012, 9:10 AM
I use DeltaCAD for basic 2D drawings

And Sketchup for 3D

Larry Browning
02-07-2012, 9:52 AM
I am interested in finding something either free or cheap(<$50) that a non-cad user can learn. I have attempted to use Sketchup 3 different times and "fun" is not the word I would use to describe my experience. "Frustrating" would be a better word for me. Recently I built a lectern for my wife to use in her classroom. I did not have a plan to go by, just a rough idea in my (her) head. I needed something to calculate sizes that would take into consideration dado depths and face frame pieces to come up with accurate component dimensions. After spending over an hour in SU and still not having anything useful, I gave up and drew it out on graph paper in about 15 minutes. Is there anything out there that is easy to learn for an total newbie, yet geared toward woodworking? Or am I hopeless and should just stick with paper and pencil?

BTW: If I am hijacking the thread, just tell me and I will start a new one.

Stephen Cherry
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
BTW: If I am hijacking the thread, just tell me and I will start a new one.

No Hijack Larry- that's what I'm looking for also.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions- I'm going to take a look at them. For me it's a little embaressing- I'm about the last of the engineers that learned to draw with pencil and paper. I never learned the drawing programs very well.

Lee Schierer
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I am interested in finding something either free or cheap(<$50) that a non-cad user can learn.

Double Cad offers a free version that is relatively easy to use. For straight lines the line function works well. You can use the command line after selecting a straight line function to draw a line of a specified length at a specified angle from a selected point. For a 6" line Straight up the entry would be @6<90 For a horizontal line 3" long it would be @3<0, 4" line at 45 degrees would be @4<45 the same line 45 degrees to the left would be @4<135. The angles run from 0-360 with 0 the right edge of the screen, 90 is the top , 180 is the left and 270 is the bottom.

Also many local Vo-tech or community colleges offer instruction in CAD drawing for a relatively low price. Some even get a healthy discount on student versions of cad programs.

Dan Valleskey
02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Lee has a good point, even a beginners class will have you screaming along in no time. And, it used to be you could get even more help in lab time. I suppose CAD labs have gone away though.

Be aware that taking a class will stick you to whatever software they use. Autocad in many cases, at least, that used to be the hot one. If they teach Pro-E, you may never find a free version.

Larry Browning
02-07-2012, 1:08 PM
No Hijack Larry- that's what I'm looking for also.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions- I'm going to take a look at them. For me it's a little embaressing- I'm about the last of the engineers that learned to draw with pencil and paper. I never learned the drawing programs very well.

The main thing I learned about this type of software is that learning how to use CAD software is like learning how to play a musical instrument or how to draw a picture. Knowing how to operate it technically is not the same as being able to use it. I know how to make the instrument produce a noise, but to make it play a song is whole different thing.

Also, at one point I had decided that learning to use CAD or Sketchup software was going on my list of things to do after retirement (5 years or so) when I had more time to devote to it. But if I can find something that doesn't frustrate me, I might give it a go before that.

Jim German
02-07-2012, 1:38 PM
Sketchup is a great program, but it works in a completely different method than a traditional CAD program like AutoCAD/ProE/Solidworks. If you have used one of those in the past you'll probably find sketchup frustrating and difficult as you try to do things how you are used too. If you're new to CAD, its probably the easiest to learn. Sketchup also has the benefit of having a huge user contributed database of models that you can go and add into your model. For instance I was trying to figure out a good layout of cabinets for my office, and was able to just import a bunch of different types, easily move them around and see what worked before drawing up my own.

Larry Browning
02-07-2012, 1:55 PM
If you're new to CAD, its probably the easiest to learn.

If it is easiest to learn, then I am in BIG trouble!!!!!!:eek:

Lloyd James
02-07-2012, 2:17 PM
I have used Autocad for 20 years and it is alot of fun to draw with it. I know Autocad is more expensive, but it has so many
cool features. You don't have to learn how to use all the features to make good drawings.

It really helps to take 1 course at 2 year colleges. You would be amaze how easy the course is.
If you sign up for a class, I believe you can buy Autocad with a student discount.
I have had my internet crash several times and I never loose any of my cad drawings; even the one I have on my screen. I am not sure if you can do that with Sketch-Up

Even though you can take several classes in Autocad, you only need one to be able to draw up any wood cabinet.

Just one of the great features of this cad: Lets say you drew up a part and have dimensioned it. Now you want to increase its length or width, you can stretch the part the part and the dimention will automatically adjust itself.
Even if you don't use the stretch command to change the part; you can pick on the old dimention and drag one leader and it automatically updates too.

Jim German
02-07-2012, 3:03 PM
I have had my internet crash several times and I never loose any of my cad drawings; even the one I have on my screen. I am not sure if you can do that with Sketch-Up

Sketchup is a desktop program. Once you have sketchup downloaded, it does not matter if you are connected to the internet or not.

Autocad is fine for 2D, for 3D however its just plain awful. Also keep in mind that it retails for about a grand, and while yes you can 'get it for free' (student edition/borrow/download) Sketchup is actually free.

Rather than taking a course at a community college, why not ask around and see if there is someone nearby who could spend a couple hours showing it to you.

ray hampton
02-07-2012, 3:09 PM
no highjack intended but do any of the c a d software have a good library of imports files ? which ones work better to produce a round part ?

Rob Fisher
02-07-2012, 3:43 PM
I have used CAD for the last 16 years, AutoCAD, Microstation and several other smaller CADs and in my opinion Sketchup is by far the easiest program to learn. It works a bit differently than AutoCAD but it is great, especially for woodworking scale projects. I used googles basic tutorials but there are a ton of other how to's out there. As others have said there is also a huge library of sketchup models that others have created and you can download/use/modify for your project.

Michael Peet
02-07-2012, 6:02 PM
For me it's a little embaressing- I'm about the last of the engineers that learned to draw with pencil and paper. I never learned the drawing programs very well.

I had to laugh; when I took drafting for my engineering degree it was maybe 1990 and they still taught it with paper and pencil. By the time I was a senior I had written a simple CAD program for an independent study course.

That said, I need to give a +1 to Sketchup. I always make a model before I build something. I like having the electronic records, and a 3D system is good for visualizing and discovering problems ahead of time. Electrons are cheaper than hardwood.

Mike

Erich Weidner
02-07-2012, 9:17 PM
I am interested in finding something either free or cheap(<$50) that a non-cad user can learn. I have attempted to use Sketchup 3 different times and "fun" is not the word I would use to describe my experience. "Frustrating" would be a better word for me.

CAD software uses a different operating paradigm/user interface than drawing and painting software of which most people are familiar (and hence find reasonably intuitive). I'm no CAD expert, but I do use DesignCAD 3D (<$200) and have used some flavors of Autocad 2d in the past.

Lately, I've been using Sketchup. It isn't CAD software but it is easy (compared to CAD) to learn. There is a good ebook I purchased from FWW (and there is a whole Sketchup blog there as well) which helps immensely with the learning curve.

That being said, I will bet it will always be faster to just use pen/paper/eraser to get going on a given project, "right now".
Learning to use CAD or Sketchup is an investment you make (over a few dozen hours) so that once you are proficient with its use you will be able to fix mistakes and tweak designs much much faster than with pencil/paper.

I feel your pain. I'm a programmer and I still don't find either Sketchup or CAD easy. (i.e. just being "techie" isn't a free pass on the time you need to spend learning). I've been learning sketchup as I can get a lot more done with it more quickly than I can in my CAD software. But perhaps I'm just not "wired" for CAD. :)

Chris Parks
02-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I would pay good money to be able to use SU, unfortunately I am one of those people who have no 3D imagination or conception, call it what you will. After repeated attempts and viewing all the videos etc I still cannot use it. Delta Cad I found easy, the only issue for me is (or was) the ability of it to handle metric and the scaling was hard to understand IIRC due to the metric shortcomings. Mind you it was quite a few years ago now so it may be improved.

Paul Johnstone
02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Autocad is fine for 2D, for 3D however its just plain awful. Also keep in mind that it retails for about a grand, and while yes you can 'get it for free' (student edition/borrow/download) Sketchup is actually free.

I am not disputing you, just wonder why you think Autocad is awful for 3d.
I am starting to use Autocad now.. I had previously used Alibre.
Autocad (so far) seems a lot better, mainly because there are lots of nice reference books out there.
I would get stuck in Alibre, and have to spend a lot of time getting unstuck or just starting over.
I am sure that in time, Alibre would flow smoother, but it was an exercise in frustration.
I have not used Sketchup, but if you think it is much better for 3d, I'm curious why you think so.
I might switch to Sketchup if there's a compelling reason to.

Stephen Cherry
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone- one thing though, I think that any of the autocads is out of the picture. It looks like autocad lt is 1200 dollars. Too rich for me.

Jim German
02-08-2012, 11:21 AM
First off, comparing the full version of Autocad to Sketchup is very unrealistic. Sketchup is free, The full retail version of Autocad is $4,000. They aren't really competitors at all, and were designed for different markets with different requirements, and even were designed in different era's.

Autocad works well for making 2D drawings, fully dimensioned, with call-outs, flag-notes, revisions blocks and such. It can do 3D, but it lacks alot of useful 3D tools, is buggy, and difficult to use in 3D. Autodesk (the makers of Autocad) years ago decided that rather than try and turn AutoCad into a full 3D solid CAD package, they would instead start fresh with Autodesk Inventor. Inventor is probably an order of magnitude more expensive than AutoCad, and competes with Solidworks, Catia, ProE and the like.

Alot of it comes down to what you are trying to do. If you are trying to come up with fully dimensioned drawings to send off to a shop, AutoCad would be fine for that. But if you want a nice picture of what the final product will look like to give to clients, or to let you get an idea of how it will look Sketchup will work alot better.

Bill Bukovec
02-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Have you looked at Sketch Up?

I think they still have a free version.

I would try Sketch Up, except I use Solidworks. That's what I have at work.

Very powerful with a price ($4000.00) to match. Glad I'm not paying for it.

Bill

Ellen Benkin
02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
There are no EASY CAD programs.

Matt Day
02-08-2012, 2:18 PM
I personally only use Sketchup now, though I took classes back in college and HS using autocad and solidworks. I have no reason to use anything but SU, and it's free and fun to use IMO.

That being said, if you've never used any CAD program at all there will be a learning curve and you'll need to spend some time using it and getting familiar with the basic functions.

Jim German
02-08-2012, 2:27 PM
There are no EASY CAD programs.

I disagree! Most CAD programs are easy to use... some *cough* CATIA *cough* are not :-/

Larry Browning
02-08-2012, 2:43 PM
Using drawing software whether it be CAD or something like Sketchup has a very shallow learning curve, it takes lots of time and effort with little progress. For me, I prefer to be in the shop building rather than drawing it. I want it to be just another tool used to produce something physical. My experience has always been that paper and pencil gets me in the shop much faster than using the software. At the same time I also get the sense that if I were more proficient with the software, I could be almost as fast and I could modify my design quickly along with many other benefits. Another thing, I consider myself rather tech savoy, and the skills needed to operate most programs come pretty quickly to me, but not this. All of this leads me to high levels of frustration.
I don't know what my point is exactly, just my observations about me.
These threads about drawing software always seem to get me wanting to take up to struggle again. But I think that I will probably stick to my plan of waiting until I have retired in about 5 years before taking it on again. Who knows what Sketchup will be like then? Maybe it will just read my mind and draw it for me!

ray hampton
02-08-2012, 5:21 PM
Sketchup may be easy for some people on their computer but it is not so easy on this computer, it instruct me to click on a certain point but what I were told to open was not in sight UNTIL MUCH LATER

Don Selke
02-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Another vote for Delta CAD very easy.

Larry Whitlow
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Not to add another wrinkle -- I've been using TurboCad for several years now. I paid less than $100, but that was a long time ago. I originally learned using Autocad, which was great for what was needed at work, but overkill for my personal needs. Turbocad may not be as powerful but has all of the features that I will use. Also allows files to be saved in Autocad format. This makes life a lot easier if you ever need to print a large blueprint at a Kinkos/FedEx, etc.

What I have is "TurboCad Designer 2D/3D Ver 5". I'm pretty sure there have been enhancements to CAD programs over the years in general, but I haven't followed them.

ray hampton
02-09-2012, 12:18 AM
I got Delta which do not work for me, paintshop and sketchup turn out to be similar after I finally figure out how to open sketchup but is more advanced

Lee Ludden
02-09-2012, 3:19 PM
I tried to learn Sketchup on my own for a while with little success. Then I ran into this site: http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/ I spent a few hours going through the video tutorials, and although there is still a lot I have to learn, I have been able to draw up most of the projects I wanted to do with little more than I learned there.

Harvey Melvin Richards
02-09-2012, 6:46 PM
I am not disputing you, just wonder why you think Autocad is awful for 3d.

I have AutoCad 2002, AutoCad 2011, Inventor 5.4, and Inventor 2011. I do almost zero 3d in AutoCad. I only do 3d in Inventor. If I need a 2d drawing I prefer AutoCad 2002 over 2011. The later has become to complicated for my occasional use. None of these programs are easy to use, nor are they cheap. It's very frustrating to start from scratch. The Inventor programs I use almost daily, but even then I have occasional issues with them.