PDA

View Full Version : CBN Wheels

Brian McInturff
02-06-2012, 9:16 PM
I know this has probably been beat to death. But, if you were only going to buy one wheel right now would it be the 180 grit or would you go with the 80 grit. For those that only have one CBN wheel and the others white or blue that isn't perfectly balanced, do you notice any vibration carry over since the out of balance wheele is still on the same motor. Basically do you notice the carryover from one side to the CBN side. I plan on getting both at some point but the money tree doesn't produce like it use to.

Thanks

John Keeton
02-06-2012, 9:24 PM
Get the 180 - it will take off metal as quick or quicker than your AO 100 grit wheel, but leave a much better edge. And, yes, you will get some vibration from the remaining wheel that is not balanced, though it will be less.

Bob Bergstrom
02-06-2012, 9:26 PM
Getting along with just the 180 is no real problem for most. It works so well that minor shaping is no problem. I have a 80 grit 3x on the side and it does wobble a little. It has no effect on the CBN. Unless you are doing a lot of reshaping, a 3x or even a gray wheel will work for almost everything. I feel the same and will get the 80 when i wear out the 3x, but I really don't use it enough to wear it out in the near future.

David E Keller
02-06-2012, 9:33 PM
Same as Bob... I'll get the 80 when I wear out my AO wheel. The 180 is great for sharpening, and I'd be happy with it alone except for the minor vibration from the AO wheel.

Brian McInturff
02-06-2012, 9:49 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I figured.

Fred Belknap
02-06-2012, 9:51 PM
I have the same set up and the vibration isn't noticeable. The CBN wheel does a great job sharpening just about anything. Haven't used the AO wheel since I got the CBN.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2012, 11:38 PM
I have the 180 CBN on the left side and a 120 grit white on the right. The 120 has one of those Oneway wheel balancing kits on it... so no vibration on either wheel to speak of. The 180 does everything I want or need and I only use the 120 for removing metal from non-turning tools. Once it gets worn out... I am hoping they come out with a 320 grit CBN!! Now that would be a nice edge!!

Reed Gray
02-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I haven't used AlO wheels in years. I do have the D Way CBN wheels. When new, the 180 cuts like 80 to 100 grit. Now that mine is broken in, it cuts like 180 grit. The 80 grit is great for shaping, and it breaks in as well. I use it mostly for raising a burr on my scrapers. The CBN wheel leaves a burr that is far superior to the AlO wheels.

Yes, if one wheel is out of balance, it can throw the other wheel off a bit. Depends a lot on the grinder.

robo hippy

Brian McInturff
02-10-2012, 5:14 PM
I got the wheel in today. Mounting it couldn't have been easier. I was really surprised at the weight of it. Heavvvvy for a wheel. I tried it out on several different items and steels. Glaser 15v, Thompson, Sorby, and an old craftsman HSS. All I could keep saying was why did it take me so long. It put a great edge on all of them. I'm not sure what I'll do with the Tormek now. Set it off to the side and only use it for kitchen knives I guess.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2012, 5:43 PM
Brian - the wheel will break in over a couple of months and you will experience an even smoother edge once that takes place. I also agree with your comment - why did it take me so long? I use mine a heck of a lot every day and absolutely love it!!