PDA

View Full Version : first h.f.

allen thunem
02-06-2012, 5:52 PM
ok you be the judge, should i find another hobby to pursue???? this is a first for me. first hollow form with my home made articulating monster clone and 1st h.f period, and first pics of my woodturning.
photography skills leave a lot to be desired.
english elm and rock maple
appx 9" tall x 4 1/2" wide
dont pull any punches

Bill Wyko
02-06-2012, 6:07 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Your choice of wood is superb and the effect you achieved by choosing this form really accentuated the color variation. If that's your first, you might as well prepair the family for occaisional visits because I seel a lot of lathe time in your future. In addition, congratulations on the success of your self made HFM.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-06-2012, 6:07 PM
OK Allen,

I'll be the first to take a shot.

I really, really like the form. To me, which is clearly subjective, it is proportional and flowing.

As to the wood, I don't love that big sapwood spot - again, just a personal opinion.

For SURE you should keep turning - that is a good first indeed!

Keep having fun ...

Dick Wilson
02-06-2012, 6:08 PM
Allen, let me be the first to say great job!!!!! No punches coming your way. For the first or the tenth HF, this is as good as it gets.

Nate Davey
02-06-2012, 6:16 PM
Allen, Beautiful form for first or 50th. I, personally like the sapwood on the side. My only comment would be the base. I slight under turned edge or a invisible foot would give the form a little lift and not make it look like it's anchored to the table. Great job, keep them coming.

Roger Chandler
02-06-2012, 6:16 PM
Very nice, especially for a first!

Harvey Ghesser
02-06-2012, 6:29 PM
If this is your first, I'd love to see your fiftieth! You certainly nailed the form, Allen! And I love the wood as well. I like to see sapwood in forms that show grain as well as this one does.

Wonderful work!

Dennis Ford
02-06-2012, 7:09 PM
I like the form just as is. The wood is nice and your work displays it very well.

Brian Brown
02-06-2012, 7:12 PM
Definitely keep this hobby. Beautiful!

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2012, 7:18 PM
Allen - I really like the form and woods used! What do you have on it for a finish.... how thick is the piece and did you sign/date the bottom of the form?

Seriously - nice work! I look forward to seeing more hollow forms from you real soon!

John Keeton
02-06-2012, 7:18 PM
I am not in the "tucked foot" camp, and I prefer to see a good, consistent curve to the point of truncation - wherever that point may be. I also do not care for the extremely small bases that seem to be the current fad. So....here is my take. I love the top half of the form - the opening, the shoulder, etc., and I like the wood - sap and all. For me, the curve seems good, but I would have ended the form about an inch higher such that the base would be a bit larger. The form looks "tipsy". But, those are all just personal preferences and for every one that looks at this thread, you may get a different take.

That said - absolutely outstanding work, Allen - just very well done!

Deane Allinson
02-06-2012, 7:19 PM
Really nice. Shape is pleasing, wood exceptional for my taste. You have good skills.
Deane

Robert McGowen
02-06-2012, 7:22 PM
That is very nice and the collar matches the vase very well. If I were going to offer any critique at all, as the vase is very good, I would say that it appears that the curve is interrupted a bit about 1/3rd up from the bottom, like a little bulge. I always take a vase off of the lathe while still in the chuck or on the glue block and stand it up against a contrasting background. You will be surprised how many times it goes back on the lathe for a final tweaking. I look forward to seeing #2.

David E Keller
02-06-2012, 8:39 PM
What Robert said! That's a heck of a piece... You must be some kind of hollowing savant!

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-06-2012, 8:47 PM
I live in simple terms. Holy Cow!!! Your first Hollow Form with a home made rig! You even made a collar. The fact that you finished it without blowing it up and formed a fair curve is an achievement in itself. The problem is, you made it so good, comparing one to it a year from now might not yield sharp contrast in quality a lot of us have experienced. Great effort.
faust

Bill Bolen
02-06-2012, 9:47 PM
Spot on! A fine piece.

Steve Vaughan
02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Allen! WOW! Yup, you done really, really great. I love it, the wood's really nice and the top and the sap really goes well together. This being a first, you'll be doing more and more and along the way, don't be afraid to try some different shapes and sizes. Congrats on making your hollower and making your HF! Pictures ain't too bad either and as with your turning, that'll get better and better.

Thomas Canfield
02-06-2012, 10:02 PM
It looks like you have a good hobby going right now. I agree with all the other comments about good form, wood, and presentation. I also like a little more foot for stability, but then I was a practical engineer too long and need to work on my artistic side. It looks like you are starting with artistic skills.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Really nice piece for a first. I do like the sapwood as it really sets it off with the contrast.

Cory Norgart
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
wow!! nice Allen,, +1 on the choice of wood... really like the form,,, thanks for sharing... I wish my first one turned out that nice.

Alan Trout
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
From one Alan to another Allen that is a great first piece.

Well Done!!!

Alan

ray hampton
02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I agree with the other posts, this shows good form

Kathy Marshall
02-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Very nice piece Allen! Great job on the form and I like how the collar matches the sapwood accent. I'll ditto everyone else, extremely well done for a 1st hollow form and I look forward to seeing more of them!

Dan Forman
02-07-2012, 3:12 AM
Very nice hollow form in all respects. The matching collar is a nice touch, and the sap wood is very attractive in this case, also a nice ratio of sap to heart wood. You have done very well!

Dan

Michelle Rich
02-07-2012, 6:59 AM
homemade hollower? excellent. First piece.? Very well done . I too find the light wood a tad overwhelming, but that's quite irrelvant for a FIRST!!! Congrats Photo? About as bad as my own!

allen thunem
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I am taken aback by all the wonderful comments and honesty. To be very honest about the design of the piece, or lack there of, it was all done on the fly so to speak. Not much consideration was givcen to Orienting the piece on the lathe prior to begiing the turning. I was just hoping to complete a piece and do some experimenting with my hollower. I am not a designer by any stretch of the imagination. to answer a couple of questions. the walls are 1/8" the finish is blo. Mr Keeton i totally agree with your assesment of the base, I would have liked it larger but got carried away completing the form. And yes it is tipsy. Again thanks to all for your cander and honesty.

Eric Holmquist
02-07-2012, 6:35 PM
Like many have said, very nice for an Nth hollow form, fantastic for a 1st!

David DeCristoforo
02-07-2012, 7:15 PM
I'm going to go against the grain again and say that this is a spectacular "first" hollow form. Oh, someone already said that? Well, then, I'll just have to agree with them. There's lots of turners who would be proud to have made this and many who are still trying to nail one this good after any number of attempts.

David E Keller
02-07-2012, 8:18 PM
...And yes it is tipsy...

A couple of marbles dropped into the piece and/or a little dollop of malleable wax underneath will make it a bit more stable for display if you're so inclined.

Baxter Smith
02-07-2012, 9:42 PM
Very nice form and pretty wood! Definitely good enough to try a few more!

Jake Helmboldt
02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I personally like the sapwood. I would have preferred a collar with a small bead or other definition, but I like the contrasting color of the collar. Like others I think it is a little leggy, but the form is still very nice. The critiques are all nit-picks. And as others have said, there are many (including myself) that would be happy to turn something of that quality. That it was your first is outstanding in my opinion.