PDA

View Full Version : Leopardwood Vase

Robert McGowen
02-06-2012, 3:27 PM
This is a vase made from 168 individual pieces of leopardwood. The vase is 12" tall and 8" at it's widest point. The walls are approximately 1/4" thick at the top. The floating base piece is made from curly maple. Thanks for looking and comments and critiques are always welcome.

Tony De Masi
02-06-2012, 3:49 PM
Real fine job there Robert. No pun intended from your previous career, but those are some nice "joints" you have there.

Dan Forman
02-06-2012, 3:52 PM
Very nice shape and pretty wood. This would look really wild if the pieces were oriented so that the sides looked like the bottom, unless that look would disappear due to the curved surface after tuning.

Dan

Harvey Ghesser
02-06-2012, 4:28 PM
Definitely a work of art, Robert. A very beautiful piece.

Michelle Rich
02-07-2012, 7:16 AM
very pretty . If you had cut your wood so the rays would be on the side of the vessel, you would have had a really cool look. that being said, leopard wood is chippy & i never use anymore. So good job finishing this so well.

John Keeton
02-07-2012, 7:49 AM
Robert, you do clean work! Well executed throughout, and while I do not personally care for this form as well as some of your others, it is no less a beautiful piece. It is almost like you have done a few of these!!;)

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2012, 7:59 AM
This is great! I really like the form and your joinery is always amazing! Did you sign the inside of it??

Beautiful work - as always! Thanks for sharing!

Mike Cruz
02-07-2012, 8:07 AM
Wow, that's a lot of pieces...

How does the floating bottom work? It is truly floating...as in not attached at all?

John W Dixon
02-07-2012, 11:08 AM
I really like this piece. I love the look of leopardwood.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
That is a beauty Robert. Like the form and the joints look good.

steven carter
02-07-2012, 2:40 PM
Beautiful vase Robert. The only think I might have considered is dying the maple piece to blend in a little.

Robert McGowen
02-07-2012, 5:07 PM
Real fine job there Robert. No pun intended from your previous career, but those are some nice "joints" you have there.

Actually, I was more of a guy that would be worried about a "crack" in the vase. :eek:

Very nice shape and pretty wood. This would look really wild if the pieces were oriented so that the sides looked like the bottom, unless that look would disappear due to the curved surface after tuning.

If you had cut your wood so the rays would be on the side of the vessel, you would have had a really cool look.

I agree with both of you. The only problem was that the board I had was quarter sawn and only 7/8" thick. In order to use it the way you described, the board would have needed to be about 2" thick in order to get the segment width that I needed towards the bottom of the vase.

The only thing I might have considered is dying the maple piece to blend in a little.

I usually use a contrasting wood for the bottom on dark colored vases in order to give me a place to sign it.

Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions!

Bill Wyko
02-07-2012, 6:53 PM
Ahhh we finally get to see the beautiful Avatar. That's a real beauty Robert. Very elegant, flowing lines. Well done sir. Thanks for posting.

Baxter Smith
02-07-2012, 9:46 PM
Very nice Robert. The joints on this one are almost invisible. Makes me think it might have been quicker and easier to just use a solid piece of wood.;):)