PDA

View Full Version : Any hunters/DU members out there?

Royce Meritt
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
After many years of trying, I finally won the fancy-shmansy Ducks Unlimited Dinner gun at our DU banquet last Saturday. For those of you unfamiliar with this gun, it is a Browning Maxus 12 ga. Semi-Auto. Limited edition #0177. Lots of fancy engraving, gold plating, etc.. etc. Seeking advice. What would you do with it?

1. Shoot the heck out of it? (it's only a gun, after all.)
2. Sell it a buy a more "practical" gun?
3. Tuck it away in the gun safe.

I'm actually leaning toward #1. It is after all, just a gun. I doubt it will actually increase in value over the years. It isn't really a "rare" gun. Every DU chapter gets one. I don't like the idea of tucking it away just to have my wife sell it 20 years from now. For the record, that model, without the fancy DU engraving, retails for about $1200.

What do you think?

Bryan Morgan
02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I'd trade it towards an AR platform weapon or a Springfield M1A, something I would actually use. But thats just me. :)

Marvin Hasenak
02-06-2012, 1:34 PM
I would hunt with it, I don't see guns as investments or something to be saved, Guns are tools that need to be used to make great memories.

Van Huskey
02-06-2012, 1:59 PM
#2 sell it and get a Beretta A400 XPLOR with Kick-Off, best general use semi-auto scatter gun I have ever put my hands on. Then again I don't know what you shot, I have become more and more a target shooter and farther from my upland tradition so I plan to get rid of my O/Us, I have been lusting after a Fabarm XLRS Velocity.

Mike Archambeau
02-06-2012, 6:16 PM
Why not use it and enjoy it, but take good care of it. It is a nice firearm, but doubtful that it will ever be worth a fortune, as it is based on a regular production firearm. Keep it clean and dry after each use and it should last forever.

Rod Sheridan
02-06-2012, 7:36 PM
Use it and smile every time................Rod.

curtis rosche
02-06-2012, 9:00 PM
do you have another gun that can be ""that special gun grandpa brings out once in awhile that i really want to have to pass to my kids"" ? if not it would seem this would make a good candidate. im not saying to keep it locked away, but dont abuse it. just use it at the range and not out in the field.

or sell it and buy a tricked out pistol or smaller caliber rifle :rolleyes:

Joel Goodman
02-06-2012, 9:07 PM
Use it if you like it -- otherwise trade or sell for something you covet.

Chris Walls
02-06-2012, 9:51 PM
Royce

USE IT ! I have a friend who regularly uses a Fancy Ruger Red Label o/u, a gun raffle prize. It brings a smile every time I hear about him shooting it . Use it , take good care of it , pass it on to some one who would also think highly of it.

Chris

Royce Meritt
02-07-2012, 9:30 AM
Thanks for all of your input. I decided to keep the gun and shoot it! I realized that this particular gun will mean more to me every time I take it out because it is a special gun that I won while I was supporting an organization that I like supporting, Ducks Unlimited.

Von Bickley
02-07-2012, 9:40 AM
I would use it and pass it on one day to my children or grandchildren.