PDA

View Full Version : My Clearvue is here!!!

Michael O'Neill
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
My new cyclone came last week and when my wife saw it she reminded me of my commitment to build her a new butcher block countertop for the island in the kitchen.... After a quick trip to "Cheddars" for lunch yesterday so she could show me the table tops there, I am wondering what is this wood??? I was really wanting to get plantation shutters started first...... Oh Well......

Michael222856222857222858

joe milana
02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Variety of hard maple cuts, some with a little sap wood. The piece in the third pic with all the figure is quarter sawn.

Nick Lazz
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I love my CV! One of my best equipment purchases to date. Some people get hung up by the assembly and some of the parts and because of that drop it from consideration. That's too bad for them because the assembly is easy, it is well built and it is more versatile for installation due to it's light weight.

Good luck and congratulations on your new CV!

BTW: I would have guessed brown maple...

Nick

glenn bradley
02-06-2012, 1:46 PM
+1 on maple. Congrats on the CV.

Andrew Kertesz
02-06-2012, 6:20 PM
What are you going to use for suction?

ian maybury
02-06-2012, 7:54 PM
Best lock up your cat if she hangs out in your workshop... With a bit of luck she might drop out in the cyclone. Congrats..

ian

Jim O'Dell
02-06-2012, 8:02 PM
What are you going to use for suction?

Maple chips and dust....:cool: Great choice on the cyclone. You'll love it! Jim.

Michael O'Neill
02-06-2012, 9:32 PM
I will be using a blower that I salvaged out of a refinery. The impeller measures 19" with a 6" discharge ... 5HP 3450 rpm 3 Phase.... It is scary the air this thing will push!!! Anyway my thoughts are to mount the cyclone body against the ceiling to give room for an oversize collection bin. Above the wood shop is a mezzanine level where I would like to place most of my ducting so as to keep good headroom... I am going to setup a valve to dump the exuast outside when the weather is nice or the filter pack when it's not....I'll suspend the blower from the main shop ceiling to lessen the noise and connect it to the cyclone with a piece of 10" steel pipe fabricated out of a sheet of 8 gauge hot roll..... I'm going to put a drop in my welding shop to help with air quality issues in that room too.... All the cats stay in the house!!!

ian maybury
02-06-2012, 9:37 PM
There's quite a significant increase in pressure capability with each inch in impeller diameter Michael, never mind with 3... A VFD and a drop in RPM from 3,450 should knock the edge off it a bit if it turns out to be needed....

ian

Dave Mura
02-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Congrats!@ :) http://chdsolutions.com/img/11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/beda24c1e1b46055dff2c39c98fd6fc1.jpg

Curt Harms
02-07-2012, 9:28 AM
There's quite a significant increase in pressure capability with each inch in impeller diameter Michael, never mind with 3... A VFD and a drop in RPM from 3,450 should knock the edge off it a bit if it turns out to be needed....

ian

I wonder if that would also help a bit with noise, at least from the blower. Larger slower turning fans are seem quieter than smaller faster turning fans. Wouldn't help with air-through-the-ducts noise though.

David Kumm
02-07-2012, 1:56 PM
VFD is the way to go. You can monitor the amp draw to maximize the system as well. The fan outlet may well prove to be the real restriction there. Generally that size fan will have an 8-10" inlet and outlet. If the outlet can be expanded you will get more cfm at a lower rpm with less noise than you can get with the current 6". My system is much like what you are planning and works well. Not only will the vfd allow for speed adjustment, the soft start feature keeps the amp rush down to where starting and stopping won't dim the lights or empty the wallet quite as quickly. Dave

Graham Manning
08-07-2013, 6:52 PM
Michael, Did you ever pursue butcherblock as per Cheddar's? I am pretty sure those tables are cherry. The times I have eaten at one my question has always been what finish did they use. There appears to be none but they do not seem to stain or show wear either. I am doing some tables and wonder if anyone knows.

Christopher Armstrong
08-08-2013, 9:20 PM
Great purchase! Congrats My is in the mail and can't wait.