PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
6 Feb 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
I sure did like sleeping in just a bit this morning. The house was chilled from the colder outside temps and I didn't have a fire in the stove, so it was up and build a fire this morning. The house is warming up nicely now. The LOML found a wooden dipper that she likes a lot and wants me to see if I can make one. Along with that she wants me to help her upholster another recliner so we can give it to our oldest son who just moved out on his own and needs just about everything one could think of. We were given the recliner and we bought some new material for it several months back. I guess we'll get busy with that fairly soon...but I do know that I'll need to do some wood frame repairs on the chair but I won't know the extent of the needed repairs until I get the existing covering off of it.

Haven't been feeling well lately and today I have a sore throat and draining sinuses. I hope this doesn't mean that I too will have bronchitis and a sinus infection...which is what this usually turns into. But enough on that topic for today.

Well, that's enough from me today, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

David Hostetler
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Been fighting a cold since Friday. Yesterday the sinuses and all cleared up, only to be replaced by a migraine... All in all not my best weekend ever...

However, LOML told me something I love to hear...

She wants me to plan a camping trip for just the two of us in the next few months... Woo Hoo!

Matt Meiser
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
My family and I went to Columbus for the weekend. We drove down Friday night after work, checked into our hotel and then hit Quaker Steak and Lube for some wings. Saturday we got up bright and early and went to the show at Woodwerks where I found a great deal on some shaper cutters and tried the new Festool CXS drill, then made the mistake of letting Larry the Festool Guy demo it to me...wound up bringing one of those home too. No deals on Festool but I did get a "free" t-shirt. Also picked up a few supplies and watched several demos. The main store was out of the drills so we had to run back up by our hotel to their second store then headed over to my SIL and BIL's to visit for a bit before dinner at Schmidt's in the German Village (which was apparently extra-busy due to a profile of the place running on Food Network.) Sunday more family visiting, a trip to the mall, where I found a great deal on a clearance Craftsman Midi lathe (identical to the bigger Rikon) which we ended up buying because LOMLjr has been wanting to make pens. We headed home and arrived just in time to drop stuff off at home before going to my mom and dad's for dinner.

I did spend about 1-1/2 hours in the shop Friday afternoon after knocking off work a little early due to a loooong week and got pretty far along on a second hardware storage unit for the Plano boxes just like one I built a year or two ago.

Jerome Hanby
02-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Pretty much a wasted weekend as far as shop time goes, I just couldn't get motivated. I did haul the latest shop cabinet carcass outside, tape up the front where I'll be needing a glue joint for the face frame, and sprayed it with a coat of shellac inside and out. My 10 year old helped and did a little spraying on the outside parts, she already has a better touch than I do! Went to my folks on Sunday and my mom insisted on dragging us to the not so nearby outlet store mecca to do some birthday shopping. On the way there, I saw that Guntersville had a Mike's Merchandise (junk shop) in the old hospital building where I was born. It was still a hospital at the time but my arrival may have been the inspiration for the junk shop... Talked everyone into a stop the on the way back home. Only good deal I found was on Porter Cable 18 gauge 1 1/4" nail gun nails. I had just used up the last of mine and had to finish up with some 1" versions. Got four packs of them and a 10 pack of test clip leads for the whopping huge total of $7.52! Wishing now I had bought a bunch more of those nails...

Van Huskey
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
and tried the new Festool CXS drill, then made the mistake of letting Larry the Festool Guy demo it to me...wound up bringing one of those home too.

Told ya!

Look at some old iron, one machine has me intrigued and may go back to make a deal. Have to find out if I can run the motor off a single phase input VFD, I forgot to check the motor size. Did some more planning for my shop and watch a decent football game.

BOB OLINGER
02-06-2012, 8:05 PM
Made some progress on the first set (prototype) of 3 plantation shutters made of poplar for a daughter. Finished drilling holes for slats in the stiles (after layout), cutting rails to length, routing some rails, etc. Hope to start painting parts soon, then start assembly, then final paint. Finding our way on these compared to stained and varnishes oak shutters previously made.

Jim O'Dell
02-06-2012, 8:11 PM
First time I've been in the shop for any woodworking time since well before the surgery. Went out Sat am and got some wood to start the base for an assembly table. Got the legs cut to length, and the sheet of ply cut for the stretchers and webbing. Then found the flat tire and that stopped things for the day. Sunday after getting the tires going and LOML and I out for a late lunch, I got another 1.5 hrs in the shop cutting the legs for the stretchers to fit. Now to dado the webbing and start putting that together and flat. Then comes the torsion box build. Thought it was odd that HD has the 5/8" MDF for less than the 1/2" by about 4 bucks! They'll change that before I can get that purchased.:rolleyes: Got to get through the week so I can start the next phase. Jim.

Jim Becker
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
This weekend entailed the usual equestrian activities and some shop time working on my latest tack trunk commission. The case is done and before I turned out the lights on Sunday, the lid was glued up and actually square. I have to do a little work on some wrap and bandage storage in the lid, do final sanding and then it's time to get it finished.

Steven Green
02-07-2012, 2:12 AM
Loml and I went down to Kentucky to pick up a big floor loom I got her for Valentines Day. Of course the monsoons were in full swing but all in all it was a nice trip and she likes the loom. Some nice joinery in it as well. She want's me to see if I can build a counterbalanced? one the same size, ought to be a fun build. Got the stakes and batter boards up for the pour of the new shop floor as well. A pretty good weekend all things considered.

John Towns
02-07-2012, 8:49 AM
After a few months of woodworking 'inactivity', I got started again. On Saturday morning I drove out to Frederick, MD to pick up some cherry lumber for a TV console I will be making. Got home and started planing it. I had not used my planer for a while and I found I had to work on the mechanism that raises and lowers the cutters. I finally got it to the point I could raise it high enough to run my 4/4 stock through. Well, after the second board, taking only the slightest amount off the board, the motor started bogging down. I saw some smoke and the planer stopped, not to be started again. I got clearance from the emergency finance committee to go buy a new one, so Saturday night I went out to get one.

Sunday afternoon I resumed my project by selecting the boards for the stiles and rails and panels, then started planing. Made an impressive pile of shavings.

I was wondering if it was worth replacing the motor on the Dewalt planer. Probably not as it is the 2 knife model that is at least 10 years old, and it still has the problem of not being able to crank the cutters above an 1 1/2 inches.

Good to be back in the shop (garage).

Brian Tymchak
02-07-2012, 9:56 AM
My family and I went to Columbus for the weekend. We drove down Friday night after work, checked into our hotel and then hit Quaker Steak and Lube for some wings. Saturday we got up bright and early and went to the show at Woodwerks ....

Missed you there then. I was in about 10:00 for 45 minutes or so. I had originally thought of going to the Woodworking Show at the fairgrounds on Saturday but heard that Tommy Mac had bailed. So, I decided to dump the show and glad I did. A buddy of mine went and he thought it was a waste of $17 for parking and admission. Said it was pretty much Peachtree and that was it. Only 1 lumber vendor. It just keeps getting worse and worse. Seems like an opportunity for an independent to start a show..

Woodwerks - I took a wide berth around the Festool demo area. Nice stuff but out of my budget.. Stopped at the Earlex demo for a while. That might be on the list this year.

Didn't find too much else to get overly excited about though. Nothing really new. Checked out the Excaliber overarm guard, but didn't bite. There was a beautiful 8/4 slab of wiiiiide walnut back in the board room that I thought about for while... Still would've been $300+ with the discount. Guess I wasn't in the mood to part with money Saturnday morning..