PDA

View Full Version : Skil Flooring Saw

Ole Anderson
02-06-2012, 9:31 AM
My son and I spent an evening and a full Saturday installing $1500 worth of Pergo flooring in his home. All he had was a cheap 10" miter saw with a steel plywood blade and a jig saw, and a circ saw we didn't use. Pergro just looks like paper and MDF but there is some mineral content in it as his steel miter saw blade was throwing some serious sparks and dulled very quickly. I was glad I did think to throw a carbide blade in my HD orange bucket of tools to take with me. The first segment didn't require much ripping so we got by with the jig saw as I didn't see an easy or safe way to use the circ saw. But I could see that the next segment entailed a lot of ripping as we circled around a closet and bathroom , into the kitchen and back to the previous nights work going down the hall. I was also wondering if we would be able to match up the planks as we joined them together in the kitchen coming from 2 directions.

I could see that we needed something to rip the planks with and also that the 10" miter saw wasn't big enough to crosscut the planks as they were nearly 8" wide, and they needed to be flipped to complete the each 90 degree cut. My Griz 1023 sure wasn't going to make the trip so I started looking around to see what I could pick up quickly to do the job. My first thought was a cheap job site table saw. I was looking at Lowe's as they have the best tool selection. The cheapest TS they had in stock was a $180 Skil, their even cheaper Skil was out of stock. Then while wandering around in the flooring section I ran across a Skil sliding flooring saw. It looked a lot like some tile saws I have seen.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaea_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-skil-Site/Sites-cpo-master-catalog/default/v1328517639882/product_media/skl/skln3600-02/images/large/skln3600-02_d.jpg
It looked like it had the features I needed, and I was sure there were some other flooring projects coming up, so I picked one up for the job. I think I paid $170, although I have since seen them on Amazon for $140. It really worked quite well. It was much easier to transport than a TS, and it just fit on top of the Workmate sawhorse/bench my son had. We hooked it up to a shop vac and was able to catch most of the sawdust it generated. It took less than a minute to move the fence from the crosscut position to the rip position. I found that we didn't need the hold down clamp provided, but it was nice to know it was there. The foam backing on the Pergo Max kept the material from slipping. There is a knob which releases a pin into one of the rails to lock it down for ripping, which at the same time locks out the finger trigger to allow use of the flip switch used for ripping. Overall I was quite happy with it and had no regrets, the only downside so far is that the 4 3/8" 40 T carbide blade only made it through the work on Saturday before it started burning on the rips. But with adequate pressure it still cut. I will pick up a new blade (only $10) for the next project. I presume that if the flooring had no mineral content, the blade would last quite a long time. And at 7 amps of power, it might be a bit underpowered to rip 3/4" Oak T&G flooring. Oh, when we circled the kitchen to connect the planks, they were only an 1/4" off which we were able to make up with a little persuasion. Finished the project with a 10 hour day on Saturday. Life is good.

Edit: rereading this post, it sounds like I am pitching the saw, so I just want you to know I am just a retired civil engineer with no connection whatsoever to Skil. One item I would change is minor and it is the fence hold-down screw/knob. Way too many turns to lock down the fence and it needs to have the end of the screw unthreaded to help find the sliding nut that it screws into.

Ole Anderson
02-07-2012, 10:10 AM
And when I went to change the blade, I saw it had a riving knife. It is one of those fairly inexpensive tools that has some nice engineering features that I can appreciate.

Stephen Cherry
02-07-2012, 1:59 PM
That tool looks just about perfect for that application. easy to slide around to the section of floor you are working on. If I had one, I would look for a way to replace that clamp with a destaco type clamp. And at that price, you really only need to do one floor with it to make it worthwhile.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-07-2012, 2:10 PM
I have a piece of plywood, just slightly larger then laminate flooring.

A fence down both sides to rest the piece against and a cross fence at both ends.

One end for using the wider side of the saw and one for the narrow side.

I've done quite a few floors with it.

But it is ugly.:D

Bill White
02-07-2012, 2:16 PM
The alum. oxide finish on flooring is tuff on blades. Frequent blade change is the norm.
Bill

Jerome Hanby
02-07-2012, 3:00 PM
I think I've done more than $150 of running back and forth between parent's shop and their bathroom/kitchen/dining room while I was installing laminate for them. Looks like this thing wouldn't do a "rip" cut along the length...

Correction, looks like you use it to rip the same way you would with a RAS. What a great idea. May not be the absolute safest way to do the rips, but not running back and forth to the table saw would be a big plus.

frank shic
02-07-2012, 6:03 PM
always wondered if that saw worked well for flooring. thanks!

Van Huskey
02-07-2012, 9:26 PM
That's pretty cool for the price.

Ole Anderson
02-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Correction, looks like you use it to rip the same way you would with a RAS. What a great idea. May not be the absolute safest way to do the rips, but not running back and forth to the table saw would be a big plus.

Yes, you switch the fence 90 degrees then push the plank down the length like a RAS, except you have a riving knife at the back of the blade which eliminates kickback and it is almost impossible to get your fingers near the blade the way the guard is made. Still a push block would be a good idea, same as if you were ripping on a TS. And I never used the hold down clamp. Easily removed.

Rich Engelhardt
02-08-2012, 7:00 AM
#1 - thanks for the review. I wondered if those saws were all they are cracked up to be.
Skil can be funny at times about things like that.

#2 - what are your plans for it now that the job is done?
Is it something that you can find other uses for or is it too underpowered/inaccurate for anything else?

Gary Kman
02-08-2012, 7:29 AM
I have a piece of plywood, just slightly larger then laminate flooring.

A fence down both sides to rest the piece against and a cross fence at both ends.

One end for using the wider side of the saw and one for the narrow side.

I've done quite a few floors with it.

But it is ugly.:D

Thanks for the tip. I made similar to cross-cut aluminum soffits but didn't think of flooring. Bet mine's uglier than yours.

Ole Anderson
02-08-2012, 8:48 AM
[QUOTE=Rich Engelhardt;1869256#2 - what are your plans for it now that the job is done?
Is it something that you can find other uses for or is it too underpowered/inaccurate for anything else?[/QUOTE]

Near term I plan on putting down a cork floor in our bedroom, with other rooms to follow in the years to come. My house dust (not wood dust) allergies are pointing to carpet replacement. And I have a good friend that also has several flooring projects coming up, not to mention my second son who is rehabbing a '70s home. And if I had a small tile project, it might spin a dry diamond blade for a few cuts.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-08-2012, 9:17 AM
Thanks for the tip. I made similar to cross-cut aluminum soffits but didn't think of flooring. Bet mine's uglier than yours.

I also put a couple coats of poly on it so the flooring would slide through easier.

(added to the ugly)

Jeff Monson
02-08-2012, 9:41 AM
Thanks for the review Ole, I have looked at that saw a couple times. Good to know it works as it should. I have an old portable Skill tablesaw that I use for flooring, with a decent $25 Freud, it cuts extremely well.

Ole Anderson
02-21-2012, 9:02 AM
Well, I used the saw a second time to help my neighbor on a difficult hallway/closet project. I had gotten a new Skil 36 tooth blade, it was $15, the $10 40 tooth blades were the cheap version that comes with the saw and were not in stock at Lowe's. The premium ones seem to hold up better. And I have had enough of using the saw while on the floor, my knees were killing me. My next project is being done with the saw at waist level. So I made a table out of scrap 1/2" wafer board as I didn't have any scrap 1/2" ply. I was trying to keep it light. Overall dimensions were 27" x 48", supported on folding plastic sawhorses. I added cleats at each end to support the offcuts and a couple of cleats with holes to catch two feet of the saw. Its gonna make life much easier from now on.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-21-2012, 9:45 AM
supported on folding plastic sawhorses

Anybody on this forum who says they do not own "folding plastic
sawhorses", is not telling the truth, is extremely stubborn or has no use
for sawhorses.
:D

(you seemed reticent to just say sawhorses??)

Rich Engelhardt
02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Ole - you're killing me with this thing! :D
I have so many "needs" and "wants" right now, the last thing I need is another thing to add to that list! ;)

I guess one is in my future @ some point down the road.

Ole Anderson
02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Anybody on this forum who says they do not own "folding plastic
sawhorses", is not telling the truth, is extremely stubborn or has no use
for sawhorses.
:D

(you seemed reticent to just say sawhorses??)

Some things are just difficult to improve upon, "folding plastic sawhorses" being one of them. Very light, and when folded, a pair of them hang on a wall hook taking up almost no space. There is a reason most folks have a pair, they work. Not ashamed to say I have a pair and use them frequently.

Jerome Hanby
02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Some things are just difficult to improve upon, "folding plastic sawhorses" being one of them. Very light, and when folded, a pair of them hang on a wall hook taking up almost no space. There is a reason most folks have a pair, they work. Not ashamed to say I have a pair and use them frequently.

Agreed! And they are cheap enough to just toss when you inevitably break off one of the collapsible thingies on one side or the other.