PDA

View Full Version : first cores with the McNaughton...

Russell Eaton
02-06-2012, 7:45 AM
I had a borrowed Woodcut bowl core tool and used it a few times. After returning it I quickly realized that I needed one for my own. I read several threads and came to the conclusion on the Mcnaughton.I wanted a tool with larger knives as I get a lot of bigger blanks, that is why I went with the Mcnaughton over the Woodcut. I watched the supplied Mahoney video and ordered one from Reed as well. I was bored last night and decided to turn a Super Bowl or 2. Well here are the results. Three keepers I hope. They are 15" +- and all have enough wall thickness to dry properly. It took about 1 1/2 hours to finish the project, mainly because I had to round the outside that was roughed with a chainsaw. The wood is some FREE stuff that I have it is Ambrosia Maple. JK I live so far off the road the shop police don't drop by for the regular inspections. :D Thanks for looking. Russell

Tim Rinehart
02-06-2012, 7:55 AM
Russell...looks to me like you got the knack of that McN tool just fine. Look forward to seeing set later in year when dried and returned.
I've only used mine a couple of times, as with a Oneway set, but I do like the flexibility of curve radius and how you can direct it, not to mention slightly quicker setup time.
Nice work!

Steve Vaughan
02-06-2012, 8:03 AM
Looks like you made a great set of super bowls! I've got to use my set a bit more than I do. And, I love the two-lathe option I see. You get tired of one, and walk over there to the other one and work on that project!

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Russell those are going to be some nice looking bowls. Nice not having a floor full of chips from one bowl.

Harvey Ghesser
02-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Something else I need!:( Nice work, Russ!

Richard Jones
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Russ, good work! I have both of those DVD's and they are both great.

This is very new, I believe it was just posted on Friday. Dale Bonertz did the demo........... Scroll down a few pages until you locate it. http://www.rmwt.org/newsletters/2012-newsletters/rmwt2012-02.pdf

Rich