PDA

View Full Version : Well a Manning proves he is one of the ELI-te quarterbacks......

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
2 Super Bowls..2 Super Bowl wins..2 Super Bowl MVPs..........

I'd say Eli proved his preseason statement to be accurate.

I was stationed in Meridian MS when Archie played his senior year at Ole Miss. After seeing the manner two of his 3 sons play football in the NFL, I can't help but wonder how Archie would have played with some other team than that era of the New Orleans Saints. The Saints of those days couldn't hold a candle to the team currently playing there. It's no accident that 2 of his 3 sons are destined for eventual places in the NFL Hall of Fame. Genetics has to play a part, I'm sure.

Congratulations to the entire Giants organization and fans!

Jason Roehl
02-06-2012, 12:34 AM
At least a Manning won in Lucas Oil Stadium. There were a LOT of Colts fans cheering for the Giants tonight, that's for sure!

Gary Hodgin
02-06-2012, 9:38 AM
Great game and there's no doubt Eli is up there with elite quarterbacks. Also no doubt Archie was an elite quarterback playing on a very poor team. I've read where Archie's oldest son, Cooper, was a great hs quarterback and would have played big time college if not for a career ending injury.

Paul McGaha
02-06-2012, 9:59 AM
It was a great game. Congratulations to Eli and the rest of the Giants.

As for those Saint teams that Archie used to play on, oh man, brings back nightmares. Some of those teams had a pretty good offense, Just no defense at all. I've seen them blow 30 point leads, Twice.

I've read for a long time that Archie Manning would have had a far better career if he would have been playing for a better team. He was awesome.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I have read that Cooper was a better athlete than either Peyton or Eli.

It's no accident that both Eli and Peyton are NFL quarterbacks of fame and skill.

I experienced some of the fervor for Archie Manning in the State of Mississippi during his senior year at Ole Miss. I am convinced his legacy as a NFL quarterback would have been much better if he'd played for another team.

But it's no accident that Peyton and Eli are as skilled as they are. I've read when Eli was in college, on Fridays, Peyton, Eli and Archie would get on the phone and discuss the team Eli was playing on Saturday. I can't help but wonder if the sons don't consult with Dad if they have questions about an upcoming opponent.

David Weaver
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Eli certainly has grit, that's for sure. Unflappable despite all of the criticism he's gotten earlier in his career, and even earlier this year.

The guys who rack up yards in the regular season, and great statistics, etc are fun to watch. The guys who play OK most of the time otherwise (but not as spectacular) and seem to improve to spectacular as the pressure rises to an incredible level, those are the guys I really admire. They're a rare type.

It was a great game, for sure. Bizarre season in the NFL this year, too. Thought for sure we'd be seeing some kind of combination of a (New Orleans, Packers, 49ers) / (Houston, Ravens, Steelers) superbowl.

And what about the lowly redskins? Beat the giants convincingly twice, and beat the patriots when they faced them, too, and only won a total of 5 games. It sure is the era of parity.

Paul McGaha
02-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Just a guess but I'm thinking the Manning family is very happy that Eli and the Giants won the super bowl this year. Might offset a little the year Peyton and the Colts had.

PHM