PDA

View Full Version : Band saw Bearing seizing

Bernie May
02-05-2012, 11:15 PM
How often do your bandsaw bearing seize. I replace at least one bearing per year on my 14" Rikon. Moderate use of the band saw. How about the rest of you? I usually discover this by trying to rotate the bearings by hand occassionally.
-bernie

Van Huskey
02-05-2012, 11:22 PM
I usually get several years out of bearings. Are you replacing them with decent quality sealed not shielded bearings?

Bernie May
02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I am using the same bearings that came with the machine. they are the same as skateboard bearings. I guess I am getting at least three years out of bearings, but question whether that is normal for folks.

David Kumm
02-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Are you talking guide or wheel bearings? Dave

Van Huskey
02-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Are you talking guide or wheel bearings? Dave

I assumed guide bearing ans since he mentioned skateboard (or roller blade) bearings I am 99.999% sure he means guide bearings.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Bernie
If your bearing are the sealed kind and used for the blade guide. I have popped one of the seal off and filled the bearing with grease, helps to keep the saw dust out. May run a little warmer full of grease. Tom

David Kumm
02-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Gotcha Van. I'm thinking about my old Hanchett guides and not the newer type. I try not to let the band move into the back bearing so they don't wear out and there are none on the sides. Using the back bearing is hard on both the blade and the bearing. Dave

Bernie May
02-06-2012, 12:43 AM
My general view is that the fine sawdust is getting behind the seal and ends up seizing up the bearing. People with the cool blocks would not have this problem. It happens with both the back and side bearings to the blade.

Van Huskey
02-06-2012, 2:52 AM
My general view is that the fine sawdust is getting behind the seal and ends up seizing up the bearing. People with the cool blocks would not have this problem. It happens with both the back and side bearings to the blade.

You are correct you definately are not wearing the bearings out. Just make sure you are getting good quality RS (or DD) bearings. Considering the are a buck a pop they are even worth trying to maintain.

David, I have never seen a Hanchett guide I assume they are like a Carter Micro-Precision or Zefyr guide. I have seen some old Hanchett swages though.