PDA

View Full Version : Depth of SCMS

Jim O'Dell
03-18-2005, 8:17 PM
I'm going to start on the west wall of the shop rebuild this weekend. Did some demo on it after geting the north wall caulked and ready to paint (painting Sat. afternoon after work). Can anyone tell me the depth of the Makita LS 1013, and the comparable Bosch unit, from the front of the fence to the farthest back the saw will slide? I'm building a bump out in the wall to accomodate the unit, and I'd like to keep from making it too shallow. Also the width side to side when mitering would be a big plus. Thanks! Jim.

Carole Valentine
03-18-2005, 8:45 PM
On my Bosch 3915 slider, the distance is 22.75"

Jim O'Dell
03-18-2005, 8:52 PM
Thanks, Carole! I know the LS 1013 owners love their Makitas. Are you happy with the Bosch? Are the controls in a logical place? I know these things could change on both units by the time I get one, but layouts usually don't change too much. Thanks for your help! Jim.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-19-2005, 7:24 AM
I have a Craftsman, it seems to me that the 12 inch was about 25 inches in depth and something like 40 inches in a full swing, side to side. If you need more specific measurements, let me know and I will go out to the garage and get them.

Tom Peterson
03-19-2005, 8:10 AM
the makita is about 21" a little more if you use the factory dust bag. It extends past the locking screw

Carole Valentine
03-19-2005, 8:42 AM
Jim, I am pretty happy with the Bosch....the cuts are dead-on, which is the most important thing. The controls leave a little to be desired, however. On mine, the handle is very awkward if I am in a situation where I have to use it with my left hand (not often) and I don't like that "button" that has to be pushed to activate the saw. In addition, using any kind of clamp on the right side (again, not often needed) is pretty much hopeless because the motor housing hits it. All that may have changed on the new ones...I haven't looked. At the time I bought mine, the Bosch had more degrees of swing than any other saw I could find. That saw was the tool that started my slippery slide into woodworking and was the first big power tool I ever owned so I have a sentimental attchment to it. I now use it mostly for just cutting rough stock to length.