PDA

View Full Version : Options...

Bob Rotche
02-05-2012, 6:46 PM
Some of you may recall a work in progress I posted a few weeks ago in which the lid became stuck in the form (eucalyptus burl) due to movement of the wood. No matter what I tried, it was stuck like it was in a vise grips and I ultimately had to sacrifice the curly maple lid and turn it away (original pic attached). I then thought it might look better with a darker lid and then experimented with a different sort of "finial". This then appeared too large so I made another about 25% smaller. I tried it with a small riser and then thought it might look better mounted directly to the lid. I've attached pics of all options. Nothing is glued in place so excuse the slightly off kilter look and the blue painters tape on a couple. Could try a typical Drozda type finial but I'm trying to think a bit more outside the box. As always, C+C appreciated.

Roger Chandler
02-05-2012, 7:02 PM
Personally, I like the flame finial better..........maybe not as much flair, but I think it goes better with the form itself......which again, is a really nice piece of work and a great piece of wood!

David DeCristoforo
02-05-2012, 7:04 PM
The "double ended scimitar" looks wicked. I like it best on the standoff. The blue tape sucks. The black lid integrates much better than the lighter colored one. The flame on the black lid is nice too.

Richard Jones
02-05-2012, 7:09 PM
Bob,

FWIW, here's my thoughts: Both of the first two pics, to me, are much more balanced. My eyes go about to the collar on both of those pieces. When I get to 3 & 4, my point of focus is just slightly under the handle/finial. With 5 & 6, my eyes go to the handle/finial, period. This may be due to shape, form, color, I dunno. I think a lot of it is color, but could also be the upsweep, or both. What about inverting that feature so that it sweeps down? It will actually be taller, but since it complements the form's shape, it wouldn't be as noticeable. To me, that would balance it a bit more.

Again, just my thoughts. You gotta do what YOU like. I wouldn't think you'd want anything to detract from that gorgeous wood. And I really like that form, BTW.

Rich

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2012, 7:22 PM
I'm Batman!!

I like photos 3 and 4. Cool looking finial and I like seeing it raised up from the main form. Looking forward to seeing the final version!

Greg Just
02-05-2012, 7:26 PM
Vote for #2.

Dave Halter
02-05-2012, 7:27 PM
I really like pics 3 & 4. To me it "lifts" the form.

Steve bellinger
02-05-2012, 8:01 PM
Well i must say i like them all. But i think the last pic does it best for me.

David E Keller
02-05-2012, 8:09 PM
Pretty cool! I love the wrap in the middle of the topper in the latter pics. I think pic 3 is my favorite version, but 4 is a close second! I just looked again, and I'm torn between 3 and 4. Cool piece any way you look at it!

Scott Hackler
02-05-2012, 8:19 PM
I am going with 3 or 4, but prefer the top piece to NOT be elevated. It seems a bit too large to need raised up.

James Combs
02-05-2012, 8:26 PM
For me the first photo is the only one to look at. Love that one.

Tim Rinehart
02-05-2012, 8:37 PM
I think the lower forms look best, with the exception of the blue tape, of course.
Nice!

Harvey Ghesser
02-05-2012, 8:38 PM
3 for me. Really cool. A wonderful project, Bob.

Jon Nuckles
02-05-2012, 10:54 PM
They all are nice and creative, so I hate to choose. If I have to choose one, it is the scimitar without the lift, providing the blue tape can be eliminated!

Sid Matheny
02-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Number 2 is my pick.

Sid

John Keeton
02-06-2012, 7:44 AM
I like #4, but I would "cove" the finial base and perhaps take the size of the scimitar down just a hair more. A cove base will enhance the lift, and I believe keep one's point of interest on the form.

Bob Rotche
02-06-2012, 7:56 AM
Thanks all for taking the time to comment. Whenever I try something out of the ordinary, I tend to lose perspective and vascilate between thinking its pretty cool and then hating it. It does seem that I can often see things in pictures that I'm not seeing when looking at the actual piece. Richard, I had your same thought about inverting the top so the ends sweep down and its definitely an interesting look but my curve is off with current pieces. May try one, just for the heck of it as I'm using this whole thing as an excercise in different sorts of toppers (and I have a box of African Blackwood cutoff scraps that I got off ebay for about $30). In looking at the pics, I think the "scimitar" looking piece need a bit of lift but less so than in 3+4. I have some scrap burl that I will try to make just a small, simple dome and see how that looks. Will post final product in next week or 2. Another example of how awesome this forum is. Where else could I get all these opinions from people I respect within 12 hours?

David E Keller
02-06-2012, 8:23 AM
Interesting! I looked again this morning, and I'm more into 5 and 6... 3/4 seem a bit too elevated to me today. I also noticed something else, I think. Does the camera angle vary between the various groups? The view of the main form seems to be different between the pairs of pics which alters my perception of the topper.With JK's recent moon piece, this one, and the monkey pod piece I did... I've noticed that I have difficulty with sizing and height on these atypical finials... I plan to keep doing them, and I hope you and John do as well. Very interesting!

Ken Glass
02-06-2012, 9:36 AM
After looking at all of them, I gravitated towards #2, not that the latter ones aren't cool, because they are, its just that they seem to take away form the main form, which has spectacular burl in it and is complemented by the Finial of the #2 picture. Lots of varying opinions on this one. Good luck with your decision.

Alan Trout
02-06-2012, 9:52 AM
I like the flame on the black lid and the scimitar on the standoff. I am the I do not like the string wrap but I think it would look great with a fine leather cord wrapped around the scimitar's.

Alan

Mike Cruz
02-06-2012, 4:14 PM
Bob, my favorite is blue tape. I don't care what else it up there, just keep the blue tape. It is kinda like the bent over nail in the perfect dresser...there HAD to be something imperfect about it, right? :D

Honestly, I like 4, then 3 the best.

Erik Johanson
02-07-2012, 9:35 AM
I really like the 4th picture. flame finials are common but the double scimitar is pretty cool and different.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Bob gotta say I like pic's 3 & 4 also. Pic's 2 is ok.

Larry Pickering
02-07-2012, 1:16 PM
I think I would make the cord out of wood and pyro it, to look like rope.