PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ EC Atkins medallion

jim goddard
02-05-2012, 6:42 PM
I have what I think is an Atkins saw but need to confirm that. I believe the etch has 'AAA' in it along w/ 'Silver'. However it's really hard to read. The medallion has only has the words 'Superior warrented' on it w/ an eagle. Is this a medallion anyone has seen on an Atkins saw?

Sean Richards
02-05-2012, 7:31 PM
All the big saw makers AFAIK put out a second-line range of saw. Shape/design of the handle is often a good pointer as to who the likely manufacturer was. Maybe post a photo ...

Joe Bailey
02-05-2012, 9:30 PM
Might this be your etch?:

It's often easier to make things out in a weak etch after you know what your'e looking for.

jim goddard
02-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Don't think I can post pics.

Thx for the etch. While very little is visible the 'AAA' is, bearly. Shouldn't there also be some script to the right of the etch you posted? There is on my saw...something about silver.

Chris Vandiver
02-06-2012, 12:33 AM
It may be that your saw was made by Atkins for one of the many hardware store concerns of the time(hence the warranted superior medallion).

Klaus Kretschmar
02-06-2012, 6:28 AM
Does it look like this one? That's from an Atkins #55 from about 1907.

Klaus

jim goddard
02-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Chris
That could be. However, I thought in almost all cases the mfg wouldnt have included his etch. Either it would be the h/w store or a second line etch. Im sure though that the etch includes the 'AAA' as per the posted etch and the word 'silver' in script is readable. I think Atkins had that verbage something like 'silver steel' or some sure in script to the right of the trademark logo.

BTW this saw belongs to my dad. There are 2 others in the set, a Disston panel and Atkins 2000 both of which are in excellent condition w/ fully readable etchings. He says they were all acquired when he was discharged after WWII in Buffalo NY.

Hi Klaus
Nope, the only writing on mine are 'superior warranted'. Mine is also silver in color.

Michael Ray Smith
02-06-2012, 3:33 PM
I have a flooring saw that I'm almost positive is an Atkins (based on comparison to pictures of authentic Atkins saws) with a Warranted Superior medallion and the faintest traces of an etch which is, unfortunately, completey illegible. Because of the lack of any definitive trademarks, I don't know if mine was sold under the Atkins name. As Chris mentioned, there's a distinct possibility that Atkins made saws to for hardware companies to be sold under their names. Nonetheless, I'm pretty comfortable with the identification of Atkins as the manufacturer simply because there weren't many manufacturers of flooring saws and their designs differed fairly significantly. I suppose this gives you some evidence that Atkins used Warranted Superior medallions on saws bearing some sort of an etch.

You're correct that Atkins used the words "Silver Steel" in the etch on some of their saws. It referred to steel that they purchased from a source in England, at least originally. http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/Atkins/history/HIST1-index.asp Atkins was a company in Indianapolis, where I live. Because of that, I've wanted to research the company history more thoroughly, but (like many other things) I've yet to find the time.

Chris Vandiver
02-06-2012, 5:40 PM
Regarding E.C. Atkins, people might find this interesting; http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/atkinssaw1931.pdf

Jeff L Miller
02-06-2012, 6:12 PM
Here is a shot I just took of my Atkins No 65 ship point saw. The etch to the right of the main centered etch reads, "silver steel blade with perfection handle adapted for rapidity and ease in cutting"
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/anneandjeffro/P1010001a-4.jpg

I have another saw which reads "This saw from our special silver steel is A ? in workmanship, finish, and durability. Atkins signature is below both etches

Jeff

jim goddard
02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
From what little is readable compared to the posts I think this is an Atkins. Thx again for all the help!

Jim Koepke
02-07-2012, 1:03 PM
From what little is readable compared to the posts I think this is an Atkins.

It would not surprise me to find that somewhere during this saw's life while being sharpened the medallion could have been changed by accident.

jtk

Ruth Jansson
11-23-2014, 5:12 PM
Hi Jeff -
Thanks for posting your photo. I've been trying to fill in what I can't read on my 26" rip saw (I don't have the number yet, but it might be a 53 or a 54), and you've provided me with the answer. In my research, I might have found an answer for you. I didn't bookmark the page, but my notes tells me the inscription reads something like, "This saw made of our Silver Steal is perfect in workmanship, finish, and durability." Your beginning words may be more accurate than mine, but your missing word is "perfect."
-Ruth Jansson, Bradenton, FL

Kim Malmberg
11-23-2014, 5:32 PM
Jim G,
Atkins did make a ton of saws, some of which were branded as secondary line saws combined with Warranted Superior medallions featuring eagles. I have head a few of those. Normally you won't find a etch relating to Atkins and the triple A combined with a Warranted Superior medallion, but I have stumbled across some more inexplicable conundrums, so your saw might be 100 per cent original. Atkins, like many other makers, did make saws for hardware stores as well as secondary line saws.

If you could post some images of the saw it would be easier to determine the authenticity of your saw.

Ruth Jansson
11-23-2014, 5:53 PM
Hi Jeff -
Here's a photo of the inscription I mentioned about your saw.