PDA

View Full Version : SUPPORT FRAME for Washtub

Boyd Gathwright
03-18-2005, 7:56 PM
SUPPORT FRAME for Washtub

.... First, let me say, this is NOT a work of art nor is it meant to be a thing of beauty. It is a maintenance washtub SUPPORT. Although, I did maintain careful dimensions and spent some time doing it.

.... This washtub was purchased at the auction for a very reasonable price some months ago. My wife's request, of a lower shelf for cleaning items, was taken into consideration and honored. Also, because this is a deeper tub replacement than just a sink I made the inside bottom closer to the floor, since my wife is shorter than I.

.... It was made from mostly warped, treated 2 X 6's that were put through the jointer and averaged out and split for the legs. If I had made them completely straight, the wood would have been down to toothpicks. The bottoms of the legs were rounded to keep and prevent splintering. Everything has been pinned and glued and some wood filler used. And when the glue hardened, the SUPPORT was like iron all over, unbelievably strong.

.... The tub overlaps the SUPPORT by roughly 1/64<SUP>th''</SUP> all the way around to keep drippage on the outside and to keep it minimized. To hold this dimension, I glued guide blocks on the bottom of the tub, see pics. Also, see 2X4's (unpainted) separating tub from SUPPORT to show glued blocks as guides. Next pic on the right is how the bottom of the tub looks vertically down into it's SUPPORT.

.... The bottom shelf supports, under the shelf itself attached to each leg, are no more than ¼'' off the floor all the way around, shown in second to last set of pics (large pic). This is so no small animal can get under and hide yet high enough to allow a spill to flow in as well as out.

.... In the rear or back side, is an opening large enough to accommodate the PVC drain pipe and trap. The front of the SUPPORT is straight across, “even” on all four sides. Just high enough to capture all types of containers yet not too high that you can't reach conveniently from the sides if necessary.

....Thanks for looking but the intended post is for those who are interested in such a project :).

Boyd

Jim Becker
03-18-2005, 9:15 PM
Frankly, I think you did an awesome job, Boyd!

David Fried
03-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Looks nice. Yes, it is of interest. Not all woodworking is about high art. Making that out of scraps instead of buying something flimsy is great!

Boyd Gathwright
03-20-2005, 7:14 PM
.... Thanks Jim on the "awesome job". I really like doing this kind of thing for the very reasons that Dave Fried pointed out; “instead of buying something flimsy" In my book, I would much rather spend the time and in a lot of cases the money also, and do it substantially correct. You know, and I don't mean to sound old here, but not that many years ago when you bought something it was well made. Quite the opposite today, you buy just to take care of your immediate need TODAY ONLY with no thought of tomorrow. When I purchased this tub at the auction, there were no legs that came with it. I did some inquires into buying a set and was amazed at what was available. First off, there were no legs to fit mine, that's why the tub most likely ended up at the auction, but what was available was flimsy junk plastic at a premium price.

.... I thank you and Dave for your interest and because this POST did not draw much interest just goes to show that most people would rather put up with the junk :eek: :eek:!!

Boyd

Frankly, I think you did an awesome job, Boyd!

Looks nice. Yes, it is of interest. Not all woodworking is about high art. Making that out of scraps instead of buying something flimsy is great!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-21-2005, 8:04 AM
Boyd,

I think it looks great. It matches in well with the tub and as you said, it seems VERY solid, what is needed from a tub that size. It could hold a lot of water!