PDA

View Full Version : using trans tints

joe zarnitz
02-05-2012, 5:25 PM
when you apply 3 different colors do you sand back by hand off the lathe---what grit do you start with----tks,joe

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2012, 7:25 PM
Joe - when I use multi dyes - I do everything off the lathe but have the form already sanded to 320 grit or so. Keep in mind that the finer the grit you use, the less dye will absorb into the wood. When sanding back the colors, I usually sand with 220 after the first dye, then 320 after the second color.

Chip Sutherland
02-05-2012, 8:10 PM
I agree with Steve; sand to 220 then off the lathe with 320 between tints. Multiple clear finish coats is when I will go 400-800 or beyond.

The only time i will tint on the lathe is for a bowl rim which is a relatively small amount of surface. I have tried tinting a HF but after parting the piece off the lathe, I couldn't get the bottom to match the sides. I ended up just painting the bottom black.

Bob Bergstrom
02-05-2012, 9:36 PM
I power sand as much as I can. My sequence would be turn the outside and inside, dye the inside and sand it back on the lathe. Then I will vacuum chuck it and turn the foot of the bowl, take it off and dye the outside(don't ever dye with the vacuum pump running, it will suck it into the pump. Let it dry and position it back on the lathe, positioning it as close to center as I can. I will power sand as much as of the outside as I can and hand sand whats left. The grit depends on how difficult the dye is to remove and how much I want to reveal. I am pretty good with my close quarters drill and use it as much as possible. The last color I apply usually just gets #0000 steel wooled, the multiple coats of lacquer.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2012, 9:40 PM
I pretty much follow what Chip and Steve do except I do it on the lathe for some pieces and off for others. I do find it easier on the lathe.

Jim Burr
02-05-2012, 9:42 PM
I sand as much on the lathe as possible...mainly for consistency and, realistically...it's easier!

Joe Landon
02-06-2012, 8:12 AM
I hand sand before applying color and in between colors. Other methods may be easier, but for me hand sanding yields the best results.