PDA

View Full Version : Well it sure ain't Mr. Keeton's Ogee!

Peter Blair
02-05-2012, 2:06 PM
Well it's even obvious to me that my work doesn't compare to most of the Posted Creeker's pieces but this is my first attempt at adding marquetry to the bottom of a bowl, so I thought I'd post it anyway. I did try to impart a little ogee in the bowl as well. Made from local Birch, Dark blue epoxy inlaid circles (with a few bubbles unfortunately). This is one of the first bowls I finished with WOP and buffed with my new buffing system.

What I learned doing this piece is that I STILL have a very long way to go on my journey, just hope I don't run out of marbles before I get there!

This bowl was made as an anniversary gift for our daughter and son-in-law who are lucky enough to share their home with a fabulous Chocolate Lab.

Comments of all sorts are as usual most welcome.

Cory Norgart
02-05-2012, 2:29 PM
Very Nice Peter, Im hoping for the good amount of marbles left also...:D I too have have alot of learning to do as we conquer new and challenging projects... so lets all learn together.. Very nice piece, I love the lab... Im sure your daughter and son in law will love their gift.....

Jamie Donaldson
02-05-2012, 2:35 PM
Peter, is the Lab face actually done with marquetry, it's FABULOUS!!!????

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 3:07 PM
Peter, that is a fantastic job with the marquetry and inlaid bands!! Nice work!

David E Keller
02-05-2012, 3:16 PM
Lovely work on the marquetry and finish! The base is a bit large for my normal bowl tastes, but I suppose that's a necessity to allow room for the marquetry. Great gift!

Peter Blair
02-05-2012, 3:21 PM
Hey David. The base is as you say a little larger than I usually like to produce but I wanted some of the bottom to frame the marquetry.

Jamie. Yep the face of the lab is I think 11 pieces of black walnut and each of the small birds is comprised of 3 small pieces of cherry and small black walnut heads.

Thanks to the rest for looking and commenting. A lot of what I do and am trying to do stems from the great examples that are set by Creekers.

thomas prusak
02-05-2012, 4:03 PM
Pete!!!

Absolutely beautiful .... Great work. Get rid of the stars plate holder though. It takes away from your work.:-)

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 4:21 PM
Pete, on future works such as this, IMO they would showcase much better with a platter form. The marquetry is exceptionally well done, but it gets kind of buried in the bowl. In a platter with a relatively simple profile, it would really be put on display.

Robert McGowen
02-05-2012, 6:05 PM
Your marquetry is very nice. It is hard to believe that the dog is 11 separate pieces of wood.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2012, 9:44 PM
That is a beauty. Love the marguetry and inlays.

Kathy Marshall
02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Very nice and inlay and the lab look great! Your daughter and son-in-law are going to love it!

Ed Morgano
02-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Great job on the marguetry. I didn't even notice the birds till you mentioned them. Really nice work. Your daughter and son-in-law should be proud.

Van Huskey
02-05-2012, 11:31 PM
That is truely gorgeous.

Bob Rotche
02-06-2012, 8:05 AM
That marquetry is just outstanding! I agree with John about trying it on a platter form next time.