PDA

View Full Version : New tires for Super Bowl Sunday.....

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2012, 1:38 PM
I'd rather have a big screen TV. :( And the cost wouldn't be much different!!!!
I went out yesterday and got a haircut, then by HD for a sheet of ply and a couple Douglas Fir 4x4s for the legs of an assembly table. Went out later to start cutting the wood and noticed that the right rear tire on the van was flat. There is what looks like a brad in the corner of the tread at the side wall...not repairable. I already knew I needed tires but was trying to nurse these until June. They weren't quite to the wear bars yet. Guess not. Spent some time online checking tires, reviews and ratings. Man, it was no choice. The Michelins were hands down the best rated tires. Of the 7 models I checked on the Tire Rack site, most cheaper but a couple more expensive, they were the only ones that owners said they would definitely buy again. So I compared it to the cheapest Probably would buy again, and I was looking at about 40.00 per tire difference, and it was a Hancook. I've heard decent things about them, but the other numbers in the performance categories were about 1/3 less than the Michelin. (all rated by owners of the tire) So then I started looking at places locally to get them. Sam's Club, we are members, was the cheapest at 203.63 each. NTB was about 218.00 each. Went to Sams, they have to order them. No shipping charge, but 5 days to get. Also no charge to mount and balance for members. Not bad. And $70.00 instant rebate. Hmmmm....Go by NTB just to see, (Discount Tire not open on Sunday, good for them! bad for me this time) and he basically beat the price by 2 bucks and has them in stock. Will go back out in a bit to take the van to get them installed while the wife and I go get a bite to eat and do some shopping she needs to do.
Now, do I dare put the raised white outlined letters out? It is a 2 seater (3/4 ton extended cargo van) after all.:D:D:D I'd still rather have the TV. Jim.

Paul McGaha
02-05-2012, 1:47 PM
Hi Jim,

We've been buying Michelin tires from Costco for the last several years. My wife really likes Costco. She buys everything she can from them.

PHM

Steve Clardy
02-05-2012, 7:51 PM
Last set I bought was from TireRack. Good prices, speedy delivery.

Doug W Swanson
02-05-2012, 7:55 PM
I'd put the letters out....

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Steve, I thought their prices were good too. Then I saw that Sam's locally had a close price, 5 bucks higher per tire, and free shipping to the store. Tire Rack's shipping charges were $112.00!! Sam's free mount and balance. NTB beat the price by a little over a buck total...nothing to sneeze at, but had the tires in stock. So win win situation. And I'm going to see if I can still get the $70.00 rebate by mail, making it that much better of a deal. So I'm happy. Now to get the front end aligned. Jim.

Bruce Page
02-06-2012, 1:21 AM
It doesn't seem that long ago when you could buy a decent set of tires for $200.

Rick Moyer
02-06-2012, 5:02 PM
Yeah, the tires for my dump truck went up about 50% over the past year and a half. almost $700 each for the steers, over $400 for each drive tire now. Ouch!

Van Huskey
02-06-2012, 5:30 PM
It doesn't seem that long ago when you could buy a decent set of tires for $200.

For one of our cars that won't buy you half of one front tire, don't even mention the rears...

The Michelins are usually a great bet across the board but there are always good alternatives if you look hard. The best kept secret of the tire trade is the equipment used to balance the tire is nearly as important as the tire itself. I will only buy from a shop that has the latest Hunter machines, 15 years ago it took a call back to find out what machines they use, today it is a common question and usually gets answered immediately by the first person that picks up the phone.

Rod Sheridan
02-06-2012, 7:23 PM

I can't put one tire on my motorcycle for $200............Rod.

Bruce Page
02-06-2012, 7:36 PM
I can't put one tire on my motorcycle for $200............Rod.

Yeah, I remember paying top dollar for Dunlop Redline MC tires and only getting 5-6 thousand miles out of them. Do the last any longer today?

Brian Elfert
02-06-2012, 8:00 PM
I'm not looking forward to replacing the two steer tires on my motorhome this spring/summer. I'm hoping I can be out the door for $500 each. I may need to replace the four drive tires in 2013, but hoping to stretch to spring 2014.

This reminds me that I need to get the tires checked on my car. They have 39,000 miles on them in just over 3 years. They have cracks all around the tire right at the wheel itself. They aren't wearing the best and I can't see more than 50,000 miles out of them. Last set of tires I wore out lasted at least 60,000 miles.

Mike Archambeau
02-09-2012, 8:25 AM
I'm not looking forward to replacing the two steer tires on my motorhome this spring/summer. I'm hoping I can be out the door for $500 each. I may need to replace the four drive tires in 2013, but hoping to stretch to spring 2014.

This reminds me that I need to get the tires checked on my car. They have 39,000 miles on them in just over 3 years. They have cracks all around the tire right at the wheel itself. They aren't wearing the best and I can't see more than 50,000 miles out of them. Last set of tires I wore out lasted at least 60,000 miles.

Cracks near the bead? YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Replace them before they blow out and leave you stranded......or worse......