PDA

View Full Version : baseboard and paint...

Greg Cuetara
02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I am in the process of trying to finish off a room right now. Painted the ceiling, painted the walls with 2 coats of paint. removed all the trim around the doors and installed new bamboo floors.

Originally in the room there was carpet and plastic moulding. I bought some pine and I ripped it down to 4" wide. Cut all my pieces to fit and now I am going to prime and paint it before i install in the room.

Do I need to paint all 8 sides or can I just paint those that are going to show? I notice on the door trim that I took off that anything that could not be seen was not painted. I think they installed it and then painted it in place.

I have no interest in trying to paint it in place so trying to get everything done then just finish nail it in.

Thanks for any advice.
Greg

Phil Thien
02-05-2012, 3:04 PM
I typically prime all sides, and paint the side that shows. BUT, you don't HAVE to prime all sides. I just do it because primer is cheap, it dries fast, and if I damage a piece during installation and want to reverse it, I only have to paint it, not prime it.

Doug W Swanson
02-05-2012, 7:57 PM
What Phil said!

Jason Roehl
02-06-2012, 12:38 AM
A properly painted trim package includes filling and sanding every nail hole, caulking every joint (trim-to-trim and trim-to-wall), then (depending on your preference) painting the trim, then the walls. Anything less looks unfinished and unprofessional.

Rich Engelhardt
02-06-2012, 7:15 AM
I never bother to backprime interior trim.
Exterior - yes, but, not interior.

BTW - since you used pine, you might want to prime with B*I*N (pigmented shellac). Pine can get pretty "thirsty", as opposed to poplar. B*I*N will seal the pine nice and even so you get a good even standout (even sheen) on your finish coat.
B*I*N has really gone up in price recently. It's over $40 a gallon. That's double what it was a year ago.

Greg Cuetara
02-06-2012, 9:02 AM
thanks for the thoughts. I used some zinnser primer which is shellac based so hopefully that will be ok. it will be better than the rest of the trim in the house not that that is saying too much.

i primed and painted the top and front face along with the ends. it will have to be good enough for right now.

greg

Phil Thien
02-06-2012, 9:03 AM
A properly painted trim package includes filling and sanding every nail hole, caulking every joint (trim-to-trim and trim-to-wall), then (depending on your preference) painting the trim, then the walls. Anything less looks unfinished and unprofessional.

Absolutely. But it goes so much faster (at least, for me) if you have a coat of paint on the wood already.

Jason Roehl
02-06-2012, 6:55 PM
Absolutely. But it goes so much faster (at least, for me) if you have a coat of paint on the wood already.

I've found that, for the most part, I prefer to paint the trim in place, especially if it's a job of any size. The reason for that is pre-painting trim quickly starts gobbling up jobsite real estate. I also like to spray whenever possible, which is very quick and well worth the little bit of extra time it takes to mask things off (it's an acquired skill to do it quickly and accurately, you have to know your tapes/papers/plastics, plus it takes a few specialty tools that help).