PDA

View Full Version : Another commissioned platter......

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 7:36 AM
I have done several of these, and they seem to make great referral pieces. They are quick to turn and one of the more profitable pieces to do. This one is 14" in diameter, sweet gum, with a bit of brown (hint of red) dye to liven it up a bit. The finish is BLO, shellac, and satin lacquer rubbed out with 0000. The engraving was done at Woodcraft - our local store has a laser machine and does walk-in work on Saturdays. Nothing new here, but your comments are always welcome!

222680 222681

Tom Winship
02-05-2012, 7:43 AM
Lovely, John! I bet WC didn't do it for the same price they did your previous 50 year platter. Lots of lettering on this one.
Still have to do the one for my brother and his wife. Waiting for Jet to answer my option offer for the bigger lathe.
Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 7:57 AM
Tom, actually the engraving was about the same. The number of letters doesn't matter - cost is based on machine time and is more a factor of the "area" engraved. There is a lot of lost space on a platter, as the rim is one burn, and the center a second burn. The rim takes a lot of machine time as the laser head moves side to side, but in the case of the rim it doesn't burn any in the middle. Could one do all of it with one burn, it would be cheaper.

The cost was $36 for this one, $35 for the last one.

Hope that option idea works out for you! You would love the new Jet.

Mike Cruz
02-05-2012, 8:00 AM
John, I need to make a platter for someone and I can only hope that it turns out a fraction as nice as yours. Thanks for the inspiration.

Steve Campbell
02-05-2012, 8:48 AM
John what a great platter. I would consider something like that an honor to receive. I can sure see why they sell good.

Steve

Richard Jones
02-05-2012, 9:14 AM
John,

The platter is already great without the engraving, which just adds to it's meaning. I really like the details that you do, they really spice up the piece.

Lots of ideas and inspiration here. Thanks for sharing your talents.

Rich

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
John that is a great platter. Really well done and I do like the color as it really livened up that wood.

Bill Wyko
02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Absolutely georgous John. I always enjoy seeing your diversity. Well done my friend.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Your work is an inspiration, as was previously stated!