PDA

View Full Version : The Keeton Legacy - perhaps?????

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 7:21 AM
The thread on "How many years do you have left" is timely! As stated in that thread, I have been woodworking for about 50 years, and with five kids, including my two and Ms. Keeton's three, and 14 grandchildren, I have always wished at least one of the brood would take up a love of wood.

Our youngest is 37, and they are all way too busy with their kids. I had given up hope of passing along my passion. It is also somewhat saddening to see that today's generation really does not partake in creative, constructive hobbies - they are consumed by the activities of their children. I was raised differently - my parents nurtured me, but expected me to entertain myself. We raised our kids the same - not sure what happened!?!?!:confused:

In any event, my son and his boys were at the shop working on a Pinewood derby car, and I enticed my son to try a little turning. He was reluctant, but it wasn't long until the boys were visiting with Granny, and he and I were deep into his first bowl!! I know he has little time, works hard, and stays busy with the kids. But, I think he is hooked and I intend to nourish the affliction every chance I get.

This little cherry bowl is 5.75" x 2", and except for a few cuts, it is his creation. He is cautious, and wanted to do it himself. As a result, I do think he learned a lot.

222677 222678 222679
Who knows - maybe I will leave this passion with one of my offspring!! May need to change my will and leave him the lathe!

Michelle Rich
02-05-2012, 7:28 AM
chip off the old block! :-)

Tom Winship
02-05-2012, 7:46 AM
Wish my first one a year last year had looked that good! On second thought, I wish every one I do now would be that good.
Congrats to Chris...........and you!

Brian Libby
02-05-2012, 7:48 AM
. It is also somewhat saddening to see that today's generation really does not partake in creative, constructive hobbies - they are consumed by the activities of their children. I was raised differently - my parents nurtured me, but expected me to entertain myself. This little cherry bowl is 5.75" x 2", and except for a few cuts, it is his creation. He is cautious, and wanted to do it himself. As a result, I do think he learned a lot.

John, I bet you are still smiling, nice bowl and a time you will alway cherish. :) It is really sad that the younger generation does not have the hand skills ( in the fab shop where I work there have been many people apply for a job that can not read a tape measure!

Nate Davey
02-05-2012, 9:13 AM
There is a bowl he will cherish. I was raised like you. We didn't have TV until I was a junior in high school. Dad made us get out and do things. He is, also, the one that got me started turning. I wish I had taken advantage of my dads talents earlier. Congratulations John, father and mentor. Doesn't get much better than that.

Joe Pfeifer
02-05-2012, 9:14 AM
It is also somewhat saddening to see that today's generation really does not partake in creative, constructive hobbies - they are consumed by the activities of their children. I was raised differently - my parents nurtured me, but expected me to entertain myself. We raised our kids the same - not sure what happened!?
Have you seen what kids entertain themselves with lately? The Internet and video games. Without parents interaction, they would never get off the couch and who knows what they would be exposed too. On top of that, people are having fewer kids so in my subdivision of 100 homes, there is only one kid my daughters age. But, I make her part of my hobbies(hunting, fishing, woodworking) as much as possible.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2012, 9:21 AM
It would appear talent is inherited! Congratulations John!

Steve Campbell
02-05-2012, 9:57 AM
John my son started working with wood a few years ago. It is wonderful to share some common interest. It really doesn't work out too bad for me. Now anytime I want to justify buying something new I can tell myself that Gene could sure use my old one. He has my old "little General" lathe and is enjoying it. His wife is happily using my old scroll saw. It is grand.

Steve

Roger Chandler
02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Very nice Chris! That bowl has very nice form, and you finished off the bottom like a pro! By the way.......who is that old man in the picture with you? :confused::D

No, all kidding aside........that is a special moment indeed............perhaps the Keeton legacy will live on in another generation............I have two sons.........at this point neither seem interested in making sawdust, but one is about ready to pull a trigger on his first house, so who knows what the future holds.

Congratulations on a truly fine first, and John.........I know you are proud.......you should be!

David E Keller
02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Since I'm only two years older than your youngest, John, you're welcome to count me as your adopted son with an interest in turning. In fact, that offer stands for any of the folks on here who pine for a vortex crazed dependent... Just remember to spoil me with burls and tools at birthdays and holidays! I'm already on my own and beyond need(or acceptance) of parenting, and you get a lovely daughter-in-law plus two grand kids in the deal... Any takers?

Seriously, great photo of you and your son and a heck of a nice little bowl!

charlie knighton
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
enjoy, thanks for sharing

Doug W Swanson
02-05-2012, 10:29 AM
That's a great story, John! I can understand how your kids are so busy all the time. I wish I could have more shop time with my kids!

Bill White
02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Hey!! How come the stuff on his face is a different color than the stuff on your face? Don't tell me that its MinWax.
Nice first effort.
Bill:p

Harvey Ghesser
02-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I sense your pride, John...not only in your youngin's turning!

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
John that is great to get to spend time with your kids. Tell Chris that is a great first bowl and has a great teacher. I hope someday that my son will take a interest in woodworking of some type. Like all the others he is busy with kids and their activities plus his work doesn't allow him the time he needs at times. When we do have time to do a little golfing and fishing I cherish every moment.

Rob Price
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm in the same boat as Keller- closer to your son's age. Makes me reminiscent about how I got started though. I learned my first WW'ing in my grandfther's shop. I was probably 10-12 when he took me down to his shop and turned me loose on his bandsaw. I saw his home made DC system with a shop vac and blast gates made from old coffee cans. I can still remember the smell. He passed, his tools were sold and that was it for about 10 years- until I met the mrs. Her father and grandfather both had shops and now, several years later I've been sucked into the vortex. my dad was more handy in a mechanic sort of way and he definitely taught me to tinker, but the wood working came from grandad.

I think anything we can do with our (grand) children is time well spent. Nothing better to add to the family album than the picture you posted John.

Bill Wyko
02-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Isn't it amazing tha once someone touches that turning tool to the piece of wood a certain love for the craft comes alive. I didn't start turning until I was 41 or 42 but I was literally hooked instantly. John that's absolutely wonderful that you've planted the seed. My guess is that the vortex has started spinning and time will appear from time to time for you two turn together. Congratulations on the beautiful turning as well.

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Excellent bowl! Not even a sign of tearout! Hope this sparked an interest in doing more turning - would be fun for both of you!

I see that you also taught him how to clean a shop when finished!! :eek: ;) :D

Curt Fuller
02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
That apple didn't fall far from the tree!
One of my daughters turns a little, mostly small spindle work, lace bobbins, crochet hooks, hair pins. It is fun when I get to spend some time on the lathe with her. My son, on the other hand, is consumed with one of my former favorite pastimes...fishing. That's probably my fault because I instilled that in him when he was young and it was the only thing that kept us together through the tough years when he was in his outlaw stage. My dad was a welder by profession but also did some nice ornamental and artsy metal projects when he was older. I inherited his welder, torches, etc and have almost no knowledge of how to use the stuff. Glad to see you taking the time to pass on a little of your passion to your son.

Chris Studley
02-05-2012, 12:37 PM
That's awesome john, enjoy the time together. My son actually asked me to let him try my lathe. At 6 yrs old, it about the only tool I'd let him try. He turned a magic wand(zebrawood) And boasts to his friend the he made his wand, and theirs are plastic. He even did one side on a bead between the handle and the wand portion. I only really helped by rounding the square spindle a little an then parted things off. He was so careful with tool presentation, really like a pro. Clearly I might be a little proud.

Besides we have a woodworking namesake to live up to. We can't embarrass the Studley name.

Dan Forman
02-05-2012, 1:30 PM
Very cool John. Don't worry, there is still plenty of time to foster the addiction, I didn't start working with wood until I was in my 50's.

Dan

Russell Eaton
02-05-2012, 1:35 PM
I am sure that first bowl is a treasure for you both. Very nice way to spend some time together. My dad comes over every Sunday night for the time my mom is at her craft class. All he does is watch me pile up the shavings. I enjoy having him around and he like to watch me work. A win win.

mike ash
02-05-2012, 1:45 PM
Way cool John. You'll be smiling all week I bet!!!

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 1:50 PM
I have little family exposure to woodworking. My Dad helped me with a 4-H project when I was about 10, and from there I was on my own. He owned some basic household tools, but was not a woodworker by any stretch of the imagination! I began various little projects using various handtools I could gather, and over the years, I gradually acquired more tools and advanced my skill level in a variety of applications. It has been a great source of enjoyment for me, and I am hopeful that Chris, and perhaps some of the others (kids and grandkids) will find interest in woodworking, and particularly turning.

There was a sense of satisfaction and pride just watching him turn and succeed at the various cuts. When he proudly took the bowl home, that was the icing on the cake!

Cory Norgart
02-05-2012, 2:17 PM
John,, your right,,,, woodworking is a passion that should live on with our families, even after we are gone.. Im with you when it comes to the concern of handing your trade down to the ones who follow you... Continuing the passion, the Legacy... In my boat, my eleven year old daughter has taken quite an interest in turning,, and it tickles me pink.. The day she asked to join our local wood club, was the day I realized I would be handing down my knowledge and the "legacy" would live on.. I am sure your son will take in all of the knowledge you have acquired through the years and turn it into one of his favorite passtimes.. and down the line it goes... great post......

Chip Sutherland
02-05-2012, 2:31 PM
I wish I could inspire my dad to try it. But he won't even visit me from FL. He is not a good student, either. He's the kind of guy that has to end a conversation and likes to win them even more. He's never really had a hobby that stuck and none that he ever shared with me. He played golf but gave it up about the time I was old enough, couple of divorces for him and then retirement to Florida for him. Unfortunately, he is 79, unhappy, and not pleasant to be around. My daughters don't want to be around him, either. Woodworking....and now woodturning have been a wonder experience for me....I hope I have some grandkids...maybe I'll get a chance to share my passion forward. My kids have instructions to kick me in the keester, if start becoming anything like my father. Kudos to John and son.
Last comment: I was nicknamed 'Chip' as in chip of the old block....by my father. :confused:

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Frame that picture and hang it in the shop to remember your son turned a great bowl the same day told us you still could not. Terrific experience and a very fine looking pair of turners.
faust

Steve Busey
02-06-2012, 8:22 AM
John, that's great that you were able to connect with Chris that way. My dad tried to get me interested in turning, but I just didn't catch on until he died and I brought his lathe into my shop. Wishing I could have had that "turning fellowship" with him while he was still here. Savor it.

steven carter
02-06-2012, 8:59 AM
John, congrats for exposing Chris to the vortex, I hope you warned him about the dangers:D. I'm like Bernie, my son and I get a little fishin & golfing (we won the father/son tournament at my course last year). I did make some spindle turnings for his girlfriend, and he did use the roughing gouge to make a cylinder. Hopefully one day we will have more time and I can get him to make a bowl. At least he is always on the lookout for turning wood, he got me the Yellowwood that I posted recently.

Bob Bergstrom
02-06-2012, 9:01 AM
Gee John, looks like a good opportunity to pass on your Jet 16 x42 and move up to the American Beauty. Beautiful bowl on the first try. Shame it wasn't videoed like when he took his first baby steps. That probably seems like yesterday. LOL.

Tim Rinehart
02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Great story John. Wonderful to think about how many years he'll have to reflect on that first bowl made under the watchful eyes of his dad, the master. I suspect the seed is well planted.

Rex Guinn
02-06-2012, 1:12 PM
John;
Are you going to get in to join BAW?

John Keeton
02-06-2012, 3:40 PM
Thanks for all the uplifting comments - it was a great time, and I am hopeful there will be more time at the lathe. We do share some times in the woods hunting, but it just isn't quite the same.

John;
Are you going to get in to join BAW?Rex, unfortunately, Chris has no free time through the week and little available time on weekends with the activities in which they are involved. I don't see him being able to get involved in the club.

Mike Cruz
02-06-2012, 4:10 PM
David, sounds to me like you just want John's lathe...:rolleyes:

John, that is awesome. Glad the two of you connected on turning.