PDA

View Full Version : TV monitors that aren't full TVs?

Stephen Tashiro
02-05-2012, 2:42 AM
I'd like to get an LED "monitor" that would show videos played on a VCR and also show images from the video cable on my digital cameras. This would replace an old tube TV that does both jobs. Should I just go ahead and buy an LED TV? Or is there such a thing as a "TV monitor" that doesn't have the TV tuner in it - and is, I hope, less expensive that a full TV? (I don't watch TV at all, whether cable or broadcast.)

I have quite a few LED computer monitors and they don't have input connectors for the video jacks on my cameras and VCR.

Brian Elfert
02-05-2012, 8:38 AM
In the early days of plasma and LCD TVs such products existed, but I haven't seen a flat panel TV without a tuner for some time. There are probably still some out there, but not popular at all and they probably wouldn't save you any money.

Do note that flat panel TVs do a somewhat bad job of displaying standard definition TV. They are optimized for high definition.

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2012, 1:18 PM
What type of input does it need to have? If it would work with a computer, would it work for your situation? If so, a computer monitor would do the trick. But for about the same price, you can get a larger screen with a tuner built into it. May not be as small of a pixel, but might not be a problem. Just a thought. Jim.

Stephen Tashiro
02-05-2012, 3:16 PM
The output from all the digital cameras that I have is a "jack" or plug type connector. I don't think modern computer monitors accepted such a connection. All my computer monitors have the connection for the typical VGA cable and some have a connector for a square mulit-pin connector of a different type. The connector for the "AV cable" from a digital camera would have to be a single hole, rather like an audio plug connection. I assume the camera outputs the same format ( a TV signal) as the VCR (a non-high definition VCR).

Greg Portland
02-07-2012, 4:30 PM
Or is there such a thing as a "TV monitor" that doesn't have the TV tuner in it - and is, I hope, less expensive that a full TV? (I don't watch TV at all, whether cable or broadcast.)
Yes, large monitors exist (42", etc.): http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=633&name=Large-Format-Display
Note that the physical panel may be the same as a "TV" but they'll tune the display settings and surrounding electronics for the intended market (i.e. DVI or WiDi input versus HDMI, etc).

Oh yes, many of these do NOT include speakers so you'll need a solution for that as well...

Larry Browning
02-07-2012, 4:54 PM
They also make a simple switch box that has many inputs to one output. These sometimes have the older style connections that would convert to a newer type. I am not sure what they are called...
maybe video switch box?? I think they are pretty cheap (like $10-$15). look on Amazon.

Myk Rian
02-08-2012, 8:53 PM
Practically all TVs have an input choice menu. You can connect near anything into them.
If the VCR "Up-converts" to HD, that's no problem. If not, connect it to the antenna or composite input.
Cameras connect to either composite or even HDMI inputs.

Van Huskey
02-08-2012, 10:49 PM
You are unlikely going to find any consumer panels that do not have tuners, in any event they are not going to be cheaper. The thing you need to most most concerned with is the panels ability to upconvert since many are notoriously bad at displaying a standard definition signals (in particular VCR signals). I would check with some of the large AV forums and find out what panels in your size range produce the best picture with SD inputs, this is an issue I haven't dealt much with for several years.