PDA

View Full Version : How many year do you have left?

Peter Blair
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure if this Thread is appropriate, and if not, I trust a moderator will remove it before it get out of hand.

As a senior, I am thankful for every day I have, and especially for those I get to spend at my Lathe.

With that in mind I have included a link to a web page that changed my life. Every Saturday I take a marble out of "My Jar" and put it in my pocket and each time I reach into my pocket during the weekend, it helps remind me that my time on this plant is limited. I realize that when you are in your 20s or 30s it doesn't seem that important but should you be lucky enough, like me, to make it past 65 every day should be treated as a treasure.

http://moneyover55.about.com/od/managingdebt/a/1000marbles.htm

So I am wondering what the average age is of the Creekers who turn?

Ron Radliff
02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
I just rolled over 69 on the oldometer. My father passed away at the young age of 57, so I feel blessed to have made it this far and be in good health. I've dabbled in woodwork on and off for over 30 years, but did not get involved in turning until after I retired. I feel once you reach the "golden years" and retire, you need to find something to keep yourself mentally and physically active, or you'll waste away in front of the TV set and never really enjoy what you've worked all your life for.

Jamie Donaldson
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Ask Wally, because he's been turning the clock backwards for many years now!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
My father died of a heart attack at age 46. I have counted my blessings daily for the additional 16 years I have managed to live beyond that. My Dad left 3 kids still in high school and my Mom, bless her, had to and did raise my youngest 3 siblings by herself. Every time I hold one of my grandkids or my great-grandkids, I am thankful for the experience.

Tom Hardy
02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
51, and my body is starting to tell me so. I need to find a face shield with bifocals. Sometimes I feel like Magoo while working on my projects.

Steve Vaughan
02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Great article. I'm at the big 5-6 level. Taking advantage of those discounts now and again that I see others get. Just wish they offered that same senior discount on tools!

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Peter I turn the leaf to 65 next month. I treasure everyday i am at the lathe or sitting at my clock bench. I also treasure everyday I get to spend with my grandkids. As we just buried my wife's brother at 57 and 16 months ago her sister at 58 it really opens your eyes and really changes your perspective on life.

Marty Eargle
02-04-2012, 11:28 PM
As one of the younger guys who posts here, I will always say how lucky I am to have found turning at a young age and know a large portion of my life will be the better for it. Turning is one of the few things that grounds me in life, and when I'm doing my best to really find my place in it, its amazing how calm a chunk of wood spinning at 2000 RPM can be compared to everything else.

I'll be 25 in a few days.

David E Keller
02-04-2012, 11:31 PM
That's a great story! At 39, I hope I've still got about half a jar of marbles, but you just never know...

Could I use M&M's? At least I could eat them instead of just chucking a marble...

Jeff Fagen
02-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I started woodworking at 12 and had a waisted youth doing flatwork and vow to spend my remaining years doing everything spinny.

Keith Westfall
02-05-2012, 1:43 AM
The big 61 tomorrow! Still going fairly strong - but do notice that the 'outside' doesn't seem to be as good as the 'inside' thinks it should.

I give thanks for everyday - I have been blessed - and know that I am much more fortunate than some people of this earth.

Every good day is a good day...

Ron Rutter
02-05-2012, 1:47 AM
Peter. For the record I am 77 years old & just started turning 1 1/2 years ago. ( Been woodworking for years) I hope to be around for awhile as in the past year I have gathered up enough BL maple, acacia, cherry & butternut to produce upwards of 500 bowls in th 5" to 11" range.
Now the interesting question is- how old are you????

Cheers. Ron.

Alan Trout
02-05-2012, 1:51 AM
Keith, Happy Birthday.

I am 45 and I still think I am 16. I hope I have way more than half a jar. Just having to much fun.

Alan

Don Palese
02-05-2012, 1:59 AM
Biologically: chronometer say 65 years 6 months
Some days physically: 101 yrs or better
Mentally most days: a range 5yrs & up
Maturity according to current wife: a child
My internal timex: 35 yrs
Spiritually: Chronos time

Ron Crosby
02-05-2012, 2:06 AM
22 yrs old for me. :)

Dan Forman
02-05-2012, 2:16 AM
I just hit 60 in December, have been turning for about 4 years I guess. It's not a bad idea to consider one's own mortality now and then, lest we get too complacent.

Dan

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-05-2012, 6:37 AM
I'm 41, started turning in July 2011, been on flatwork up till then, and that's taken a dive in production rates since! May have to raid the kids marble bags... Thanks for the link, made me stop and think.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-05-2012, 6:44 AM
Peter,
You're too young to start thinking that way. 65 isn't an old body these days unless the mind that owns it is thinking old. It's great to be appreciative but getting old takes attitude, young vibrant attitude. Don't be afraid to buy green bananas and even make a long term investment or two. If you are lucky your body will forget it's age and keep on keeping on. Gratitude for life is important but we can be even more grateful in 30 years.
faust

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 6:57 AM
Turned 63 last November, 10 days after surviving a heart attack. Having always been reasonably careful on my diet, and exercising regularly, I feel great and have no aches/pains. Been woodworking for about 50 years in one form or another, with furniture consuming the 20 years prior to taking up turning a little over 2 years ago.

I still feel like I am 30, but the good Lord has reminded me of how fleeting life can be. My advise is to throw away the marbles, avoid too many M&Ms, and simply live today for all its worth - it really is the only day you have and you aren't even assured of finishing it out! I have quit thinking about how many I have left, and have vowed to live in the moment - amazing how much more rich life can be!

Bill Clark De
02-05-2012, 7:01 AM
At 73 -74 this week it's still spinning been turning since 16--- struggling.and spinning oh my ..

Some say it's because i have lost my marbles a long time ago ..but more than likely i got my marbles but the shooter 's chipped ...some of you older bucks can tell young inquiring minds what a shooter is...
*some of it's magic some of it's tragic but ...

Steve Trauthwein
02-05-2012, 7:47 AM
Turned 67 in January. Going great except for when the arthritis kicks up. Realize the clock is speeding up, but don't worry about it too much. I am the president of our local club and we have a ten year old as our youngest member and a gentleman that stopped turning last year, who just turned 100 as our oldest member. Rather inspiring.

Steve

Tom Winship
02-05-2012, 7:51 AM
Ken, my Dad died at age 61. I now have outlived him by 8 years, through no credit to myself. I thank the good Lord daily for giving another day to turn or do whatever I want.

Carl Civitella
02-05-2012, 8:14 AM
67 years gone, been woodworking for more then 2/3`s of my life. Still don`t no nutten, but that won`t stop me. Feel good, even do some PT work at a local store for extra cash to help the retirement income out. Carl

Gene Hintze
02-05-2012, 9:23 AM
My father passed 50 years ago at age 32. I am 58 and still going strong. Glad I was here to see my boys grow up.

cal thelen
02-05-2012, 9:48 AM
53 for me, been woodworking for 30 some odd years and started turning a year ago last december. like most its hard to do any flat work anymore. while it is in the back of mind that we only have so many days on this earth, I try to live like John does, Get as much out of every day as I can, because you just never know when the good lord is going to call you home.

David Warkentin
02-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I am 33. Hope to have at least that many more years to work in the shop!

J.D.Redwine
02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Don't know but I don't buy green Bananas.

Bill Wyko
02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
When I reflect on the youth if my daughter it saddens me. I worked 6 days a week for 16 years to keep my business running. Suddenly I realized she was just about grown up. At the age of 16, she really was woven into her circle of friends, fortunately they are all good kids. By then it was hard for her to make time for me though. Now she's 21 and living in California. I missed her youth and it really is an unfortunate situation that i put myself in. We now talk on the phone regularly but its not like being together and doing something. (I am flying out there next week to see her & go to Glaser) I did start closing my shop 2 days a week about 6 years ago to make time for family (and wood working) It was a good decision IMO. I just hope that the future holds more promise than the past. I probably have more days to look back on than I have to look forward to, so I definitely need to make them count.
Thanks for posting this thread to remind us how important every day is.

Ken Glass
02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Peter,
My father had his first heart attack at 46 and his last and final one at 55. This was before heart bypass was done in 1973. I am now 65, and feel that, although I take care of myself with diet and exercise, one never knows which day will be your last, so I have tried to live my life accordingly. I have three hobbies that keep me moving and involved and a family that cares.

Reed Gray
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Well, my dad turns 90 next summer and we are having a big birthday party for him. He still goes into work every day, though he plays a lot more than he used to. Last summer on our annual fishing trip, he said at breakfast one morning, "I wake up every day excited!" A good philosophy to follow. Me, I am 61. Pretty good attitude, but arthritic hips are slowing me down a lot the last couple of years. I have been very physically active, 30 years of concrete work, athlete, etc. Hope to get them replaced early fall. Have to lose some more of my turning muscle first.

robo hippy

Wally Dickerman
02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Geez, I'm associating with a bunch of kids here. I started woodturning at age 15. Must have created a mountain of woodchips since then. Lets see...it's 2012 so I'll be 91 this year. Still have all my fingers, good eyesight, hands steady enough to do piercing and pyrography on my turnings, can still turn 1/16th inch sidewalls, seldom wear a faceshield.....guess I'm okay for another few years.

Ed Morgano
02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Peter,
I turned 70 this past November and I do cherish every day the good lord lets me spend on this earth. I've been very fortunate health wise till the past year....but it's not too bad... I have Crohn's which gives me good and bad days but it's all better than the alternative. Good thread to keep people thinking about how they spend their time.

Ed Morgano
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Geez, I'm associating with a bunch of kids here. I started woodturning at age 15. Must have created a mountain of woodchips since then. Lets see...it's 2012 so I'll be 91 this year. Still have all my fingers, good eyesight, hands steady enough to do piercing and pyrography on my turnings, can still turn 1/16th inch sidewalls.....guess I'm okay for another few years.
Wally,
You are truly an inspiration. I just hope I can walk to the shop when I'm 91.

Curt Fuller
02-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Geez, I'm associating with a bunch of kids here. I started woodturning at age 15. Must have created a mountain of woodchips since then. Lets see...it's 2012 so I'll be 91 this year. Still have all my fingers, good eyesight, hands steady enough to do piercing and pyrography on my turnings, can still turn 1/16th inch sidewalls.....guess I'm okay for another few years.

Wally, I hope I can hang in there like you've done. At 59 1/2 I still have a few marbles left (at least in the jar) and a lot of wood I want to get to.

Bill Wyko
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Wally I have to say, meeting you the other day was a real pleasure. I can tell all of you, he's sharp as a tack. Me, I just turned 48 last monday. Other than all my old broken bones from car accidents and riding quads that are way to fast for my own good, I feel pretty good about life. I am adopted so I have no family tree to know a history of illness's though so I could drop at any time, you never know. I think it's great that we all share one thing, we'll be remembered for our woodwork in some way or another long after we're gone.

Allan Ferguson
02-05-2012, 1:04 PM
I am 66 1/2 yrs old. After 12 1/2 years as a registered nurse, I have seen life pass for to many. Loss of friends and family drives home that life is fleeting no matter the age when it leaves us. Fill your days, life as you want to be remembered. Leave behind some treasured turnings.

Russell Eaton
02-05-2012, 1:23 PM
44 and counting. Reading Marty's post makes me wish I had started sooner, but still glad a friend talked me into that first lathe 4 years ago this month. Wow 5 lathes later and fixing to start a 30'x60' shop.

Wally Dickerman
02-05-2012, 1:46 PM
Okay...it's mostly in the genes. As I said before, I'm going on 91..my father died at 98 and my great grandfather died at 98, but then he was shot by a jealous husband.:D

David DeCristoforo
02-05-2012, 2:01 PM
I have two hundred years left. And I'm going to need every damn one of them...

Jim Burr
02-05-2012, 2:15 PM
52 last year. After government service, I vowed to have a good life of honor and dignity, after seeing my daughter survive cancer, I vowed to cherish every minute with my family; both she and our son are adopted. After I survived cancer last year, I vowed to live life with honor and dignity cherishing every minute spent with anyone...God, family, fun, work in that order everyday

Jamie Donaldson
02-05-2012, 2:16 PM
I'm 67 and still vertical, as my policy has always been if you don't grow up, then you don't grow old! However, my wife's death from cancer 4 yrs. ago really changed my perspective of the future, as we had been soulmates for 43 yrs . without ever having a real disagreement, and were looking forward to actively spending our retirement years together. I now live more in the moment, because without her presence every day I have less joy about facing the future alone.

ray hampton
02-05-2012, 2:43 PM
I am 69 going on 70 [what else]and want to thank Wally for his post

Lionel Mercier
02-05-2012, 3:20 PM
Hi everyone, I am 65, soon 66 and I'm afraid that next year it will become 67

Dane Fuller
02-05-2012, 3:44 PM
I'll be 46 in a few days. Too rough of a youth has left me with broken down hips, knees, ankles and various pieces of metal holding my back together. My attitude and sense of humor are locked firmly in junior high and I think that will keep you young no matter what your body says. I only started turning last year.

Deane Allinson
02-05-2012, 3:54 PM
I am 61. I'm new to turning about a year or so. I've turned 25 pieces of wood. I'll retire in a few years and hope to do more turnings then.
Deane

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 4:26 PM
Hi everyone, I am 65, soon 66 and I'm afraid that next year it will become 67Lionel, surely you meant "...I HOPE that next year it will become 67!!":eek: The other option is not favored!

Toney Robertson
02-05-2012, 4:40 PM
Geez, I'm associating with a bunch of kids here. I started woodturning at age 15. Must have created a mountain of woodchips since then. Lets see...it's 2012 so I'll be 91 this year. Still have all my fingers, good eyesight, hands steady enough to do piercing and pyrography on my turnings, can still turn 1/16th inch sidewalls, seldom wear a faceshield.....guess I'm okay for another few years.

That is great Wally, I just hope that I am as spry as you and my mother (93). I don't know how you guys do it.

John Spitters
02-05-2012, 4:45 PM
I'll turn 56 this year, did my first turning apx. 4 years ago.
I retired last summer after starting to have lots of issues with my eyes, after 5 surgeries I'll still be having more in fact I have the next one scheduled in a few weeks for Feb. 23.
The wife was the one that convinced me to retire and start enjoying my life, as you never know when your final day will come. I lost my Mother to cancer at the age of 64 and my Father to cancer at the age of 75.
I must say though that I am Blessed in that my wife is 10 yrs the younger and has a very successful business that she truly enjoys, our children are independant so this time is now our time to enjoy.

John

Charles Bjorgen
02-05-2012, 4:46 PM
Let's see...I'll be 76 in two days and I walk around with two replacement hips, two stents and an aortic heart valve that came from some animal tissue. Also a new lens in each eye. You bet I wake up each day looking forward to another. And my grand kids are here with me today.

Sid Matheny
02-05-2012, 5:18 PM
I'll be 62 in June going on 92 after brain tumor surgery, two heart attacks and several other major surgeries. My dad is 92 and came for lunch today as he does ever Sunday. He is still driving every place he need or wants to go. We talked today about his submarine days in WWII and he can remember so much. He puts in over an acre of garden in every year by himself, don't want people getting in his way. I don't expect to last near as long as he has but that is OK.

Sid

Cheryl A. Prince
02-05-2012, 5:24 PM
I'm 52 and started turning about 5 years ago. My father also passed way too young at age 59 from emphysema. I plan to continue teaching until about age 60 and then retire to many years in the shop....oops, I mean studio! There's only a few of us left in my family so I really try to appreciate my loved ones and friends on a daily basis.

Chip Sutherland
02-05-2012, 8:44 PM
I will be 50 in May. Still chasing the wife around....cuz I need the exercise.

George Morris
02-05-2012, 9:13 PM
Hi All ! I am 61 years young. looking forward to collecting some of my SS money this year. Turning about 8 years. Keeping very busy in retirement!

Harry Robinette
02-05-2012, 9:24 PM
Jan 1 2012 I turned 60 I thank the man above for what I've had and what I'm being given. My wife and I never leave each other without a meaningful I love you I fell luck to be where I am and how well I'm doing allot of you know my back and both knees are pretty bad and my lungs went on me a couple months back BUT I'm stile doing better then allot of people and I'm still turn about 4 hrs a day.I"M DOING GOOD.

Paul Gallian
02-05-2012, 9:24 PM
67 now! and my body thinks I am 87! Pain is a terrible thing to waste.. not seeking sympathy just sharing a truth.
paul

Donny Lawson
02-05-2012, 9:59 PM
Well, I'm 45 but sometimes I feel much older. I have been turning for I guess about 3 yrs now. Done flatwork since 1994.

Mike Cruz
02-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Peter, I'm 43. I tried the marble thing, but unfortunately, I've lost mine...:) I hope you get to grasp a marble each day for quite some time...

Van Huskey
02-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Peter, I'm 43. I tried the marble thing, but unfortunately, I've lost mine...:) I hope you get to grasp a marble each day for quite some time...

But at least you have Marples, I hope you get to grasp a Marple each day for quite some time Mike.

Steve Mawson
02-06-2012, 1:50 AM
I have had a lot of fun for quite a long time, only had one job I didn't like and I have had several. Married (43 years in June) to a wonderful lady that I went to high school with, didn't date her till I went to college, dated for 4 years, got married after the army. My first turning was on Uncle Bobs Craftsman lathe probably in 1955 or 56. Never had so much fun turning until I found this group and joined the Great Plains Woodturners in Lincoln. 65 in June. Hope to last for some time yet but know life can be fleeting as just lost my wife's brother in law tonight, diagnosed with cancer just last November. Normally don't stay up this late but having trouble sleeping tonight.

Mike Cruz
02-06-2012, 8:08 AM
Remember seeing those on the wall, do you Van? ;) You MUST still be young...you recall details like that...

Earl Reid
02-06-2012, 8:47 AM
Almost 80. I still turn a few days a week to keep busy. I lost my LOML and cheif critic 2 weeks ago.
Earl

Dane Fuller
02-06-2012, 9:59 AM
Earl, I'm sorry for your recent loss.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Earl sorry to hear about your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

Larry Pickering
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Made 67 in July, 6 years ago I was told that I had maybe 6 months left. I'm thankful for every day I have received and every one that I get.
I told my doctor that was stubborn and bull-headed and I was going to prove her wrong, she gives me a high-five, every time I see her.
Tomorrow I go in for my semi-annual CT scan, wish me luck

ray hampton
02-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Made 67 in July, 6 years ago I was told that I had maybe 6 months left. I'm thankful for every day I have received and every one that I get.
I told my doctor that was stubborn and bull-headed and I was going to prove her wrong, she gives me a high-five, every time I see her.
Tomorrow I go in for my semi-annual CT scan, wish me luck

GOOD LUCK with your cat scan

Jim Rather
02-06-2012, 4:43 PM
At 84 in June I still enjoy turning and puttering around in my shop. I have four stints, lost a kidney to cancer, stage 3 kidny disease in the other, COPD and asthma. Don't turn as much now but since my wife started cleaning my shop, I might be able to swing it. Jim

Barry Elder
02-06-2012, 5:24 PM
I turned 69 last April, and on Aug 2 had a triple bypass and was aided by excellent surgeon, and a multitude of Angels (we call them Nurses) who helped me through the recovery phase and things are looking better every day! Now I really understand what it is to be "Blessed" and to be able to get back to the shop and play with some of the most beautiful wood in the world is a second Blessing! I hope you all have a GREAT DAY!

James Roberts
02-06-2012, 7:37 PM
Turned 54 last November and been turning for just 3 years. I plan to turn all of the wood I harvested when I first got the lathe. With the amount of time I actually get to spend turning, I figure I will live forever.:D

Mark Hix
02-06-2012, 8:42 PM
51 tomorrow. I still think I am 12. My true love would probably say I act 12. That's ok, she loves me anyway. Interesting thread to read. One of my plans for retirement is more turning time.

Rich Aldrich
02-06-2012, 9:02 PM
Soon to be 50, hopefully a long time left. So when you loose all of your marbles and you are still here, what does that mean?:rolleyes::eek::D

I worked with a guy that carried marbles in his pocket. He would come up to you, pull the marbles out of his pocket, and count them. Then he would say, "Good, I still have all of my marbles."

Billy Tallant
02-07-2012, 1:16 AM
Heart attack @ 42, currently 54. Happily enjoying every day that I have on this earth. I still think like i'm 18, but when I try to pull myself up on my horse, reality sets in that 18 was a long time ago.

steven carter
02-07-2012, 12:12 PM
The LORD only knows, and I mean that literally. Hopefully the rapture occurs whil I am still turning! As for now just had my last birthday that starts with the number 5.

David Hostetler
02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Peter,

My odometer just ticked over the 43 mark last month. Due to a rather violent car crash in November 2000, I am grateful beyond words for every day the Lord gives me on this side of the daisies.

To put mortality in perspective, a friend of mine from High School, got mixed up in drugs in college, and managed to commit suicide by cop while high on heroin in 1990, at the ripe old age of 22. I have neighbors that lost a young daughter to Luekemia (I know I misspelled that, sorry...) at age 6. I have had older generations of my family live well past 100.

There's not a one of us that knows for certain when our recall notice from this planet will come. If you've still got her, hug your wife. If they are close enough and you have them, hug your kids too... You never know if it will be the last time, or just warming up for many more to come!

Rob Cunningham
02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I passed the 50 year mark last June. I've been woodworking since my late teens but only started turning several years ago.
I almost lost the LOML to a drunk driver in Nov 2001. It was a real eye-opener as to how quickly life can change. I cherish each and every day I have with her knowing what could have been.

Peter Blair
02-07-2012, 3:58 PM
Wow! Never expected so many responses, a great read. I am overwhelmed.

I too would like to express my sorrow and heart felt condolences to those of you who have lost family and friends.

If I remember my grade school math correctly here is the tally:
50 of you chimed in with your ages
2973 total years . . . again WOW!!! What a lot of experience.
That make the average age of the responding Creekers just about 55 1/2 years old
Congratulations to Wally at 91, I can only hope to still be around and turning at 91.
I should also make note of Ron who at 22 was the youngest of the respondents.

I forgot to count myself at 67 but that probably wouldn't have skewed the results much anyway. I, like a lot of you, did flatwork most of my working life but always had a small lathe and yearned for the day I could really spend more time turning. Today the rest of my tools get used but only occasionally.

I'll leave you with, what I think, is the best humour that came from my 'marble' collection.

I have the good fortune to share our home with my loving wife and two of our four grandchildren. Both boys Matt(10) and Ty(8).

I was diving Ty to a Dr appointment about a year ago and asked him if he had given any thought to what he wanted to be when he grew up.

There was a silence from the back seat and then he said "I think I want to be a police man". I said that would be a very nobel profession you can help people and keep everyone safe.

Again another short silence and then I heard "nope, I just want to be able to Taser people". I was quite take aback and tried to explain that this might not be the best reason to choose a profession, but he's only eight and you just never know what they are thinking at that age.

There was another silence and then he said "actually, I think I wan to be a builder person". I replied that that also would be a good job, building houses and hospitals and places for people to live.

Another pause and then he said "nope, I want to be like you and help people" to which I replied that there will always be a need for repair people like me and that would also be a good job.

Another pause and then from the back seat I heard "Grandpa, when you run out of marbles can I have your shop and tools?". I was laughing so hard I nearly drove off the road. I hadn't realized that he was actually paying attention to my use of marbles to help focus on each day.

Hope all of you have many many more healthy years and find your own way to ensure you enjoy everyone of them!!!

Carl Beckett
02-14-2012, 2:47 PM
Its not longevity of life that matters, but quality of life.

Or as the Irish say: If you give up cigarettes, whiskey, and women you dont live any longer.... it just seems longer. ;)

(its a joke! - not meant to offend)

Im blessed. Have outlived my father by a long shot. Closing in my my grandfather in couple years, and with luck will outlive the other grandfather as well. But the threshold in my family is quite low, as I am 48.

Be mindful of every day. Appreciate the moment (whatever that moment may be). Foster the relationships (you never see a Uhaul full of tools following a Hearst). Be compassionate of others, and treat people in the manner you would like to be treated.

Peter Blair
02-14-2012, 4:04 PM
Right on Carl. That is exactly why I started this thread. I use the marbles to remind me to use every day as if it were my last!

ray hampton
02-14-2012, 6:09 PM
I do not know the number of my days and I refuse to call the funeral home to make reservations for a certain date

Patrick McCarthy
02-14-2012, 8:45 PM
Having avoided this thread for more than a week, I finally succumbed . . . and glad that i did.

60yrs 11months . . . . .

doing flatwork for maybe 8 years but no turning yet . . . .but you guys (and the few ladies here) are tempting me. I bought my son a 1642 Jet 220v when he was in high school so he could make baseball bats. He seemed to have a natural talent for turning. He is now out of college, out of the house, but the 1642 is still in my garage and has started calling to me.

Hope i have a long time left to spend with my 5 kids and their spouses and hopefully a bunch of grandkids. Reading this thread has been good as it has caused me to pause and reflect. Since it is Valentine's Day, i think i will go home earlier than usual and pester the young bride of the past 33 years. Best to all of you, Patrick

Mike Cruz
02-14-2012, 9:22 PM
Patrick, with 5 kids and spouse, and either grandchildren or some in the future, turning is MADE for people like you. One of the beauties of having a large family is that you have plenty of people to give things to. Heck, with 5 childred and spouses, I see 10 birthdays and 10 Christmas presents right there...EACH year! Even if you just start out withe pens, you could make a pen and pencil set for each of them and that alone is 40 turnings (include your young bride and you've got 44). Hey, and if you are thinking "that's two pen and pencil sets per person...who needs two?", one for work and one for home! Next you've got bowls, and Christmas ornaments, and all the other little gadgets you can turn. Dive in, the water's warm...;)

Thomas Heck
02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I am blessed to be 36 years old. And realize that every breath we take is giving us from God. I haven't been turning very long, maybe 4 months or so. Turning has learned me some things about my Lord. We take an old piece of wood that from what we see is only good for the fire. We take into our hands, mount it on the lathe and begin to cut the rough edges off. Then, we start to give it the shape that pleases us. And times some of the wood doesn't except what we're doing, and we get rid of it because it won't except our work. But, other pieces, though rough allow us to shape, mold, sand, and polish unto a vessel that useful in our hands. God does the same way with us. He calls and we either except or reject his call. Then, when we'll except his Heavenly call, he begins to shape us, and this is hard for us, but it takes this to make us shine to a lost and dieing world that needs a Saviour. It's our prayer that the Lord blesses each of you, which I know he does daily in different ways and that as each of us turn these old pieces of wood, we can see ourselves as being vessels in the hand of the master potter.